Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Confirms Through-Check Baggage Policy (11 January 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Confirms Through-Check Baggage Policy (11 January 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
By this reasoning, Dl should be eager to check bags through whenever a competitor (or alliance partner) operates the last segment. It's an easy way to push costs to another airline if the bag is lost (even if DL lost it earlier in the itinerary) and to get goodwill for being willing to check the bag through.
But that means DL also has to reciprocate for the airlines it has agreements with. If DL believes that its mishandled baggage ratio is better than its partners, then it's losing money with baggage agreements that are too generous.

DL doesn't want to put its "hard" work in good baggage handling to waste by being responsible for other airlines' bags when the other airlines can't even transfer them to DL on-time.

Interline baggage agreements create a moral hazard because airlines with these agreements have an incentive to prioritize their own luggage first, and only transfer OAL luggage after bags that terminate with them are handled. Without any interline agreements, airlines would care about all its luggage that it carries. The cost, however, is creating an inconvenience to customers by requiring longer MCTs.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:56 pm

Not having check-through agreements benefits the big players since passengers will be 'trained' to book all flights on own metal or at least all on one ticket to avoid picking up and rechecking luggage. And if you are only Elite on one airline, you may have to pay luggage fees on the 2nd airline.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Nice DL, nice.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:50 am

One additional point. Some airports, if you need to pick up check luggage and re-check them, this only happens by clearing customs and entering the country (e.g. Changi airport). This means no more easy transits and going through the full customs and security at the "transit" airports.

E.g. http://www.changiairport.com/en/pass...e/transit.html

If you are travelling with a budget (low-cost) airline or you are travelling on two different airlines and your baggage is not checked through to your final destination

Please proceed to clear Arrival Immigration, collect your baggage (if any) and clear Customs before checking-in at the respective terminal for your connecting flight.

Passengers are reminded that valid travel documents e.g. Visa are required for immigration clearance to enter Singapore. This does not apply to Scoot Thru and Tiger Connect passengers.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's especially bad in SIN when you're transferring from another airline to DL due to the following: For flights exSIN, you can "do" OLCI but you cannot complete the process without talking to staff at the DL check in counter to answer security questions. No one is there until about two and a half hours before the flight, so that once you go land side you are stuck in some horrible crowded waiting area with miserable hard plastic chairs. You cannot go airside for shops, restaurants, lounges, the butterfly garden, etc. until DL opens their check in line. It's horrible.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It's especially bad in SIN when you're transferring from another airline to DL due to the following: For flights exSIN, you can "do" OLCI but you cannot complete the process without talking to staff at the DL check in counter to answer security questions. No one is there until about two and a half hours before the flight, so that once you go land side you are stuck in some horrible crowded waiting area with miserable hard plastic chairs. You cannot go airside for shops, restaurants, lounges, the butterfly garden, etc. until DL opens their check in line. It's horrible.
There is an easy solution for that problem.
Collect the bags shortly before DL check in desks open (at the special checkpoint for left luggage).
Until then you can stay in the more exciting airside part of the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread contains many posts who believe that they must book separate tickets because they have segments on non ST carriers. That is simply not true. So long as DL has an interline agreement with the other carrier, it may ticket (and check bags) onto that carrier.

The reasons people split itineraries into multiple tickets is because they find cheaper total fares that way. That is fine, but interlining your luggage becomes a cost of the cheaper total fare.

Not only is there nothing in the split ticket issue for DL, but there is risk. While the risk is transferred to the downstream carrier outgoing, in theory it evens out. If DL is accepting cross-ticket bags the other way, DL is accepting all of the risk.

Conjugated tickets do not bother me. That is simply an IATA term which dates back to the days when it was not possible to print more than 4 coupons on a ticket because that is how many carbons would allow for a passenger receipt which was still legible. Thus, on a 6-segment journey, two booklets were required and by entering the pre-printed ticket # of the other in the conjunction box, the tickets became conjugated. E.g., the functional equivalent of one ticket. That same concept remains today although carbon paper went out with propellers.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by exwannabe
DL can ticket on non ST carriers. Can do any carrier they have an interline agreement with. So you are not forced to buy a second ticket just because the other airline is not ST (or DL partner).

I have posted an example (DL-BR) where the cost saving made the overhead of two tickets worthwhile, but that is w/o checked bags. Even under old rules I would not do so with checked bags (instead pay the extra few hundred for a single ticket). And in retrospect my decision logic has been correct. Never missed the connection, but would likely have done so twice with checked bags (and once might have left bags in limbo).

Curious when it is really a good deal to buy multiple tickets when airlines interline with all risks considered (and with bags).
True, but the price difference is significant since I am flying D1 on DL then basic economy on the next carrier. I have never found a way for DL to blend such tickets in a way that comes close to buying separate tickets.

The liability of interlining works both ways since I am talking about international RT.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
True, but the price difference is significant since I am flying D1 on DL then basic economy on the next carrier. I have never found a way for DL to blend such tickets in a way that comes close to buying separate tickets.
It's not all that difficult. Most travel agents can do it so you could consider using a TA and their fee may be less than the fare and hassle savings. I suspect DL agents cannot do it is because it's not all that common and they simply are not trained in all the functions that GDSs provide.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
It's not all that difficult. Most travel agents can do it so you could consider using a TA and their fee may be less than the fare and hassle savings. I suspect DL agents cannot do it is because it's not all that common and they simply are not trained in all the functions that GDSs provide.
And it turns out that our corporate travel agent can't issue DL and UA on a single ticket because we have corporate discounts with both. Sigh.

They did know about DL's announcement.

David
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

I've been told that Delta ticket counter agents are supposed to be charging for both airline's baggage fees when checking a bag through 2 separate tickets. I mean the employees are supposed to pull up the other airline's web site (if necessary) and manually look up the bag fee for the separate ticket's routing and charge for that too, then hand the customer the coupon for the fee to hand to the other airline to prove payment.

I don't think this is being consistently practiced based on responses here. It sounds like customers are only paying 1 fee on 2 separate tickets currently. If what I've learned is true, then this new policy effective January 2016 shouldn't be changing the amount of fees paid--only the hassle of having to claim the bag and check it in again.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:25 pm

TA here.

Totally impractical to ticket interline connections on one ticket, DL's rules rarely will allow it. Example: DLMSPEWR UAEWRLHR
All on one ticket: $3339. Separately, $258DL + $1443UA = $1701

We also rarely, if ever, ticket round trips on one ticket, even when fare allows it. Example MSP-ORD on DL and ORD-MSP on UA.....if the UA portion need to be changed it's an absolute freakin' NIGHTMARE.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by jrmsp
TA here.

Totally impractical to ticket interline connections on one ticket, DL's rules rarely will allow it. Example: DLMSPEWR UAEWRLHR
All on one ticket: $3339. Separately, $258DL + $1443UA = $1701

We also rarely, if ever, ticket round trips on one ticket, even when fare allows it. Example MSP-ORD on DL and ORD-MSP on UA.....if the UA portion need to be changed it's an absolute freakin' NIGHTMARE.
With UA and AA, if putting them on with other carriers tickets and booking >3 months out, you also have the bonus of the nightmare that comes with the almost guaranteed schedule changes.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Widgets
DL doesn't want to put its "hard" work in good baggage handling to waste by being responsible for other airlines' bags when the other airlines can't even transfer them to DL on-time.
Anecdotally, DL's good baggage handling has not been good to me in the past 12 months.

It includes taking a bag checked in at HSV that was checked through to FAI with AS on the last leg, and throwing it onto the carousel at SEA instead of giving it to AS as tagged. So AS got to pay to have that bag delivered to the hotel at 4:00 a.m when it was in no way their fault. (BTW I do love the DL bag tracking system. It shows all and tells all. )

And it includes taking a bag checked in with UA at SBA and DL leaving it behind in ATL when I had over a 90 minute layover in ATL. DL paid to have it delivered, but the bag delivery contract here is quite miserly and DL paid very little to have it delivered the next day. Though it did cost them 2500 SM.

David
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
It includes taking a bag checked in at HSV that was checked through to FAI with AS on the last leg, and throwing it onto the carousel at SEA instead of giving it to AS as tagged.David
I saw this happen in SEA on DL-DL connections more than twice when I worked in baggage service. I don't like SEA's transfer reliability... anecdotally at least. The last time it happened, I had been prepared to call SEA and they sent the bag through security again and it made the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.