Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Redemption for Someone Else

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL
Delta Redemption for Someone Else

So I redeemed a ticket for someone else using my Skymiles account, using my credit card to pay for the taxes. The person lives in the US, the ticket is for a US Domestic flight, my Skymiles is registered in Singapore (so is the credit card) and the ticket was bought online via delta.com in Canada. Would this present a problem - and would my credit card need to be presented (cos its obviously not possible)? Should have thought this out better before purchase...

This is for travel about half a year from now

Last edited by SAllen; Nov 23, 2015 at 5:24 am Reason: Previously posted in wrong forum
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by SAllen
So I redeemed a ticket for someone else using my Skymiles account, using my credit card to pay for the taxes. The person lives in the US, the ticket is for a US Domestic flight, my Skymiles is registered in Singapore (so is the credit card) and the ticket was bought online via delta.com in Canada. Would this present a problem - and would my credit card need to be presented (cos its obviously not possible)? Should have thought this out better before purchase...

I don't see why there would be a problem. I've often bought tickets for others using my miles and they've never had a problem or been asked for my CC.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Well, I saw this clause on presentation of credit card. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...e-booking.html

But I only paid less than $10 in taxes. It's not a lot of money. It would be really annoying if it really became a problem using my credit card - cos card and miles are legitimate!

But glad to hear your assurance.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Well, I saw this clause on presentation of credit card. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...e-booking.html

But I only paid less than $10 in taxes. It's not a lot of money. It would be really annoying if it really became a problem using my credit card - cos card and miles are legitimate!

But glad to hear your assurance.
I think they mean you need your CC while booking, not while checking in. There are no rules against using miles for other people's trips so it would be a bit weird for the beneficiary to need to show your CC.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:46 am

DL.com would have popped up with a "need to present CC at FTO" if they would have had to display the credit card. For domestic travel in the US that would be very unusual.

Now if you're friend lived say in ACC, that would have almost certainly triggered the must display CC warning.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
DL.com would have popped up with a "need to present CC at FTO" if they would have had to display the credit card. For domestic travel in the US that would be very unusual.

Now if you're friend lived say in ACC, that would have almost certainly triggered the must display CC warning.
Oh there certainly weren't any popups (what's FTO?). The flight is a short 1 hr 30 min flight, and like I said I paid less than $10 in taxes. It would be odd to get her to pay for the taxes since I'm getting the award for her, so I went ahead to pay with my international (non-US) card registered with the same address as my Skymiles account.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:18 am

Oh there certainly weren't any popups (what's FTO?). The flight is a short 1 hr 30 min flight, and like I said I paid less than $10 in taxes. It would be odd to get her to pay for the taxes since I'm getting the award for her, so I went ahead to pay with my international (non-US) card registered with the same address as my Skymiles account.
FTO is super old airline jargon for Field Ticket Office. Those were a real live place to physically go and buy a ticket before the internet killed them. (I remember seeing one at the Mall of America) Now airlines use FTO to mean the counter at the airport, as you can still technically buy a ticket at most of them. (it will cost you, but it's doable)
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FTO is super old airline jargon for Field Ticket Office. Those were a real live place to physically go and buy a ticket before the internet killed them. (I remember seeing one at the Mall of America) Now airlines use FTO to mean the counter at the airport, as you can still technically buy a ticket at most of them. (it will cost you, but it's doable)
The one at the MOA was wonderful in that it had free parking and kept long hours, including being open on Sunday. It was the most convenient place to go to have PMNW tickets reissued after being upgraded or in fact to pick up any ticket very close to the day of departure.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I have always heard CTO (City Ticket Office) and ATO (Airport Ticket Office). FTO is a new one for me.

And yes, the CTO in the MOA was nice, though honestly I rarely used it. Guess not enough people did, thus it closed , as did almost all others for almost all airlines.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The one at the MOA was wonderful in that it had free parking and kept long hours, including being open on Sunday. It was the most convenient place to go to have PMNW tickets reissued after being upgraded or in fact to pick up any ticket very close to the day of departure.
I found the one downtown more convenient, as it was only a couple of blocks from my office (accessible via gerbil trails in bad weather).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
How about if I book an award ticket for a friend using my skymiles account but instead of using my own credit card, we will use my friend's credit card to pay for the taxes.

I did not save my credit card info in my skymiles account.

Would this cause any problem?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
They are big on this in some countries. Mostly tied to credit card fraud. Some theatres here in the states are like that as well. Show tickets, etc.

In this case, if they thought the credit card was an issue, he just pay it again - in cash! LOL!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
How about if I book an award ticket for a friend using my skymiles account but instead of using my own credit card, we will use my friend's credit card to pay for the taxes.

I did not save my credit card info in my skymiles account.

Would this cause any problem?
I have done that a lot. Never had an issue. But never used it for flights to/from "questionable" countries like Nigeria.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
I found the one downtown more convenient, as it was only a couple of blocks from my office (accessible via gerbil trails in bad weather).
The one in the old buidling with the "No Guns Allowed on Premises" signs at the door? I seemed to always have long waits there, so I was usually happy to drive to MOA rather than walk over to the city ticket office.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The one in the old buidling with the "No Guns Allowed on Premises" signs at the door? I seemed to always have long waits there, so I was usually happy to drive to MOA rather than walk over to the city ticket office.
It was an old building. I was only there a couple of times. I don't recall signs on the doors, or long waits (I was Silver at the time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.