Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

are airlines practicing in Good Faith with FF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are airlines practicing in Good Faith with FF?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
I would suggest a much more reasonable, two tiered model: Anyone below 127k MQMs (coincidentally just below where I'll be after my upcoming Africa trip) gets absolutely nothing, and anyone above 127k gets guaranteed first class on every single flight, 25 miles per dollar spent, and all of the non status folks are required to form a human tunnel and do jazz hands while the 127k status people board to the sound of the song "Extraordinary" from the musical Pippin.

With the following addendum: ANYONE from BOS will get said perks mentioned above regardless of number of miles
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What does it matter if you need 40,000 MQMs for FO or 180,000 MQMs for DM. As long as WFBF is in effect, elite status means NOTHING.
What does it matter if you need to spend 5,000 MQDs for FO or 19,000 MQDs for DM. As long as WECBEC is in effect, elite status means NOTHING.
Want free bag? Get credit card!
Want board early? Get credit card!
if you have the reserve card you also get priority check-point so most places that has SkyPrioirty(Premium in lots of airport) you will also have access with No status

also have lounge access with Reserve and

BOGO FC/Y ticket lol $1300 for 2 LAX-JFK roundtrip, done!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by sethb
The same was true before deregulation.

They ought to make their customers happy, but the closer the industry is to a monopoly the less that matters.

At least, until passengers rebel enough to get Congress to give foreign airlines permission to fly within the US.
i agree to you but @airplanegod doesn't seems to agree.

i think that the US airlines is currently running a good business but there is still no incentive for them to lower prices coz it is not needed as there is enough demand with not enough capacity at all.

while inviting other airlines may essentially kill most of FF benefits o
have way different requirement, (Only base on spend? like UA GS or CK).

That would very highly likely that airfare will be cheaper then now for most of the travelers. With more capacity to meet the actual demand not like now

Demand > Seats or
Demand = Seats. As that's how business suppose to compete?...

we know that from the senate who report whatever he hard in IATA plus DOJ investigation that airlines has now or at least had been trying to do that (likely not going to for "now" as DOJ is investigating)

one airline executive is to talk with the other airline executive,
so that Demand will not be < then Seats...... and keep fare high = wrong?

i mean why don't they all US3 just be joint venture if that is how they are going to operate or have been trying to operate lol i mean we know that DL and UA FF program have almost has no distinction between each other now as benefits (set to change with DL C+ i suppose but who say UA is not to follow suit again soon =.=)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethb
Everybody wants the program changed for their own personal benefit. I think DM should require exactly what I do; nobody who does more should get higher status, and nobody who does less should compete with me.

On the other hand, I recognize that Delta isn't in business for my benefit.
ha, ofcoz many would think that but that's why i agree DL should still set the rules and be able to change and so on and everything but just give a min. 1 membership year advance notice if it is damaging the other party which in this case DL.

Benefiting another party is obviously not against good faith and fair dealing as DL give more benefit to try to get more revenue. it is all counter to each other.

the reason of why min 1 membership year in advance is because FF fly in 2015 in order to earn 2016 there fore it is not right after 2015 started to change 2016 benefit as those benefit are what one think that will get within a reasonable time frame (membership year).

This kind of rule odd to make airline more responsible for their changes and consider more throughly as if is that really going to be good for the airline in the long run. I mean they can always give the benefit back in the middle of membership year so not a problem if the "enhancement" is hurting their bottom line they will be able to try to actually "improve and advance"
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Retaining the right to do something does not make it ethically right to do.
Some info on Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) which govern all commercial transaction from MillerLaw (Ofcoz UCC does not applied to Commercial Airlines)

THE DUTY OF GOOD FAITH CANNOT BE WAIVED OR DISCLAIMED

Although contracting parties may be successful in limiting or defining the scope of obligations owed by the duty of good faith, it is widely recognized that the duty cannot be completely waived or bargained away. [FN11] For example, UCC Section 1-102(3) provides:
The effect of provisions of this act may be varied by agreement, except as otherwise provided in this act and except that the obligations of good faith, diligence, reasonableness and care prescribed by this act may not be disclaimed by agreement but the parties may by agreement determine the standards by which the performance of such obligations is to be measured if such standards are not manifestly unreasonable. [FN12]

Further, with respect to bank deposits and collections, UCC Section 4- 103(1) provides: "the parties to the agreement cannot disclaim a bank's responsibility for its lack of good faith or failure to exercise ordinary care or limit the measure of damages for the lack of failure." [FN13] Further, in non-UCC transactions, liability cannot be waived for recklessness, willfulness, and gross negligence. [FN14]
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL PM, SPG
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What does it matter if you need 40,000 MQMs for FO or 180,000 MQMs for DM. As long as WFBF is in effect, elite status means NOTHING.
What does it matter if you need to spend 5,000 MQDs for FO or 19,000 MQDs for DM. As long as WECBEC is in effect, elite status means NOTHING.
Want free bag? Get credit card!
Want board early? Get credit card!
I said in my post that they should add more benefits, but increase the requirements to get the benefits.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
So where is the line?

The OP mentions the C+ change, which is a benefit for me. Yet obviously not for the OP.

How if DL was to expand award access on cheap international fares massively, but restrict domestic? Would that be a violation of good faith?

And when can they make changes, given that MQMs carry, should they never be allowed to change the program?

Good Faith does not imply any of this.i
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
So where is the line?

The OP mentions the C+ change, which is a benefit for me. Yet obviously not for the OP.

How if DL was to expand award access on cheap international fares massively, but restrict domestic? Would that be a violation of good faith?

And when can they make changes, given that MQMs carry, should they never be allowed to change the program?

Good Faith does not imply any of this.i

this post only has 6 pages now, only if you would read.......

one earns status in current year for the year after.

2014 earns 2015 status, 2015 earns 2016 status.
no one whines if you take 1 flight the first year at year end and lose all MQM and start over (i mean people do whine but it is expected)

one should expect to maintain ones benefit for one year.
if in 2014 this is what they have told people how the program will be in 2015 they can not change it, 1 Qualification year is all it takes to have this work.

if DL or anyone want to make changes to their program let's say 2016 May, they will have to announce it on or before 2014 DEC 31 because people earned their 2016 status, people choose to fly DL in 2015 for the 2016 status and benefit.

if DL was to expand award access, it is beneficial to the other party and assuming this will drive more business to DL (as there should have no other reason DL a public holding business do so otherwise) therefore also benefit the FF.

Good faith and fair dealing only comes in when an action of one of the contractual party damage the other party.

so yes if DL no longer make one level of award available at all, it shouldn't be advertising it at all as it is false advertising (airline are not allow to advertise a fare that is not actually available) but ofcoz DL has take away award chart over a year now that we know devaluation is coming in June after dynamic pricing kicks in so.... spend all your miles now lol

and how is the C+ change beneficial to you? I would like to know.
As i don't see this whole change not just the medallion part benefit most passenger. When obviously as of right now C+ is still just a branded seat with the exact same seat how does one make it a separate fare like premium economy is weird for me.
By what you indicate on your profile, a GM.

This is for all level right now: if you have 1 companion = no upgrade to C+ till 24 hours before
if you are talking about because now there will be more seats and u would pay for the C+, there is already a loss in the money ofcoz it can worth more to you but only having upgrade T-72, if you want C+ for sure you are already paying for it right now...

Perhaps they can now charge intl' pax on W more as they will be forced to stay on W fare regardless they want C+ or not on the domestic portion?

if the pax do not want to do that then it will need two tickets.... IROP happens..........

Last edited by Felixishim; Nov 22, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Felixishim
this post only has 6 pages now, only if you would read.......

one earns status in current year for the year after.

2014 earns 2015 status, 2015 earns 2016 status.
no one whines if you take 1 flight the first year at year end and lose all MQM and start over (i mean people do whine but it is expected)

A) Your statement that status is earned only for the next year is false. One can carry MDMs for years, thus could make plans for 2 or 3 years out. Also we have MMs. So your magical 1 year timeframe has no meaning,

B) The C+ change is a benefit because it prevents DMs/PMs with companions from grabbing the available seats, Thus better odds of a seat for me (w/o a companion).

C) "Goof Faith". This is the title of the thread. The UCC you site is a model for state law, does not exist in Federal law, As such, the ADA preempts it. The SCOTUS specifically ruled on this.

D) Please do not start with the snarky comment about not reading the entire 3 pages when I did and simply disagree with you..
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe

A) Your statement that status is earned only for the next year is false. One can carry MDMs for years, thus could make plans for 2 or 3 years out. Also we have MMs. So your magical 1 year timeframe has no meaning,

B) The C+ change is a benefit because it prevents DMs/PMs with companions from grabbing the available seats, Thus better odds of a seat for me (w/o a companion).

C) "Goof Faith". This is the title of the thread. The UCC you site is a model for state law, does not exist in Federal law, As such, the ADA preempts it. The SCOTUS specifically ruled on this.

D) Please do not start with the snarky comment about not reading the entire 3 pages when I did and simply disagree with you..
This is how i started the thread:

Originally Posted by Felixishim
Just trying to get some thoughts on this.... not exactly complaining but rather more of an ethical issue or is it something that FF should raise to DOT or FTC?
so that first answer your C) that we know it is nothing to deal with legal or illegal we are talking about it is right now wrong ethically and should we try to get a change through "form".

as for A) While there is benefit of rollover MQMs it is harder ofcoz to see how to set one timeline but it is easy in the other hand to solve your question on MMs because Delta gives out medallion status on a yearly basis, it is NOT a lifetime status.

D) I am sorry that i thought so as it doesn't seems to me but we can only know by as much as you have typed.

as for B) it is not really true for now at least we know ways to by pass that, DM book one ticket and companion book another call and get those seats before May and just because that DM companion can not get one doesn't really mean you have better odds as it is also part of FCM it is just CCM now. DM buy up to first, DM companion may also possibly buy up to C+ which DL has been very successfully selling these.

Back to rollover MQMs Delta can change program rule on a yearly basis and therefor also qualification, new things can be implement just like MQDs which that did give a year notice on.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATLTraveller
I said in my post that they should add more benefits, but increase the requirements to get the benefits.
they prob. should but they already do with the DL 360 program right? coz it is just for HVC even though if one doesn't fly enough. setting a lower requirement on the publish level helps customer to feel that it is more easy to retain status and makes the program more attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.