Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice from the Experts on Bumping!

Seeking advice from the Experts on Bumping!

Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cj1099
ok, my you guys are a suspicious lot, but nothing is missing here!! And nothing is withholding from my daughter- i am truly certain of that. She is not my only child, and i have years of experience working with children.

but hope this helps. On a earlier email from delta this is their excuse::

Thank you for your additional comments. I appreciate the opportunity to provide you more information and to specifically address why the compensation you are referencing is not due. The EU compensation you are referring to is only due to a passenger who was involuntarily denied boarding due to an oversale of a flight. Delta Flight 99 on July 7 was not in an oversold situation. Our records show there was a technical problem with the check-in system at the gate, and the agents were unable to resolve the issue in time for Kathryn to board the flight. Again, I'm so sorry for your disappointment.

Now, does this help clear things up???
does, this help clear up things up??

see my post above = there is nothing in EU261 that states that it only applies if the flight is over sold. If they IDB you they have to pay.

It could be because of a weight issue or not enough CC to maintain a staffing ratio or a number of broken seats.

Also 'technical problems' are also no excuse.

Write back to DL clearly quoting from Article 4 and ask them where it says it only applies to an over sold flight. They will have a hard time doing that.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I doubt that some technical problem with the check-in system at the gate would be an extraordinary circumstance under EC261. It's also very odd that such a problem apparently affected only one passenger, namely your daughter.

Whoever is responding from DL seems to be confusing the EC261 IDB rules with those of the DOT.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:36 pm
Suspended

My money is still on the daughter wandering around or something and missing the boarding cut-off. It simply doesn't make sense that a gate agent would randomly boot some kid off a flight that apparently wasn't sold out.

That said, the timeline still doesn't make sense. The OP says the new boarding pass was issued before boarding, so it's not like this alleged technical issue was holding up the flight, which might explain why someone would be IDB'd* from a flight that wasn't sold out.

(* Using the term loosely; if the passenger wasn't formally checked in, it's probably not a true IDB situation.)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm sorry but something is missing. Either your daughter is not saying something (not on purpose but just doesn't know it's important) or the airline is missing something. I'm sorry but a glitch wouldn't effect just one passenger and not be able to be fixed before the flight was closed.

How close to departure did they give her a new boarding pass? Could this be a case of not being at the gate at the correct cutoff and thus denied boarding?

I would ask DL to explain why she wasn't allowed on the plane. If they don't want to pay compensation they are the ones that need to show what the reason is. Ie what is the technical problem. Simply saying compensation isn't due doesn't cut it. Also point out in your letter EU261 doesn't require anything other then being denied boarding. The reason for the denial for the most part doesn't matter. It does not require the plane be oversold, and even most technical issues don't absolve the airline from paying. I would call and simply ask why your daughter wasn't allowed on board and if they give the vague technical response, insist that they give you the actual technical issue.

Last edited by flyerCO; Feb 4, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
ok, my you guys are a suspicious lot, but nothing is missing here!! And nothing is withholding from my daughter- i am truly certain of that. She is not my only child, and i have years of experience working with children.

but hope this helps. On a earlier email from delta this is their excuse::

Thank you for your additional comments. I appreciate the opportunity to provide you more information and to specifically address why the compensation you are referencing is not due. The EU compensation you are referring to is only due to a passenger who was involuntarily denied boarding due to an oversale of a flight. Delta Flight 99 on July 7 was not in an oversold situation. Our records show there was a technical problem with the check-in system at the gate, and the agents were unable to resolve the issue in time for Kathryn to board the flight. Again, I'm so sorry for your disappointment.

Now, does this help clear things up???
does, this help clear up things up??
Yes, it helps clear things up. Delta has admitted that the error was theirs ("technical problem") and therefore (though they haven't admitted it yet) compensation is due.

It's too bad EU261 doesn't have an additional penalty for "bad faith".
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Sethb,

thank you, for clearly realizing, yes delta admits!!! it is their fault. NOT
my daughter"s, sorry for taking it personally. They have refused to discuss this on the phone!! I have tried, to say all the above verbally..., and sent three claims.

I am exhausted, i have given this to airhelp. i will let everyone know the outcome. I believe this is absolutely terrible what they have put myself and my daughter through.

There was a time when i was working and traveling quite frequently Delta was my preferred airline, now i will be vehemently be boycotting and spreading the word how they treat young adults. And all I do is visit college campuses, now.

For those, who saw the truth , thanks for your support.
cj
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's one possible thing that they may be up against. If there was some type of government security issue that prevented her from traveling. Either a flight marshal needing a seat, triggering additional scrutiny by the government before she was cleared to fly, passport issues, etc . In those cases they're limited to not being able to say the real reason. I find it highly odd that they won't give the actual reason, that multiple agents refuse to give an actual answer.

Lastly no one accused your daughter of purposefully doing something or not disclosing relevant information. However you noted she was a mouse, and thus the question was did she didn't realize something was important to the story.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:19 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure whether TSA would have allowed me to go airside in T1 without the boarding pass printed on KE paper.
You would not even get to TSA. The private contractors in front of the line would have turned you away to get the local boarding pass.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TObject
You would not even get to TSA. The private contractors in front of the line would have turned you away to get the local boarding pass.
I've always kept my BP and told them I'll get a new one at gate. While there's no PreCheck lane, using my DL issued BP that shows PreCheck at least allows me to skip taking off shoes and go through the old fashion metal detector that crew use.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:41 pm
Suspended

I am exhausted, i have given this to airhelp. i will let everyone know the outcome. I believe this is absolutely terrible what they have put myself and my daughter through.

There was a time when i was working and traveling quite frequently Delta was my preferred airline, now i will be vehemently be boycotting and spreading the word how they treat young adults. And all I do is visit college campuses, now.

For those, who saw the truth , thanks for your support.
cj
I don't mean any disrespect, but it helps not to get so personally invested in little problems like this. Something obviously went wrong here, but the net result was that your daughter waited 7 hours in an airport, which happens all the time for all sorts of reasons. This simply isn't anything worth getting "exhausted" or "vehement" over.

There also isn't a scintilla of evidence that Delta has a pattern of doing this — or that it would have been less likely to occur on AA or UA — so "spreading the word" about a "boycott" would be kind of silly.

(Note: I've flown Delta maybe twice in the past five years. I'm not a DL loyalist or apologist.)
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's one possible thing that they may be up against. If there was some type of government security issue that prevented her from traveling. Either a flight marshal needing a seat, triggering additional scrutiny by the government before she was cleared to fly, passport issues, etc . In those cases they're limited to not being able to say the real reason. I find it highly odd that they won't give the actual reason, that multiple agents refuse to give an actual answer.

Lastly no one accused your daughter of purposefully doing something or not disclosing relevant information. However you noted she was a mouse, and thus the question was did she didn't realize something was important to the story.
If the flight marshal needed her seat, she could have been moved to a different seat. That's no big deal, airlines do it all the time. If there was no available seat to move her to, then the flight was full, but Delta said it wasn't.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO

None of these could be categorized as "technical problems with the check-in system at the gate."
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
ok, my you guys are a suspicious lot, but nothing is missing here!!
Yes, we are a suspicious lot and are quick to blame the victim (not you in particular, just in general). Frankly, the goes overboard in some threads, but the others here just want to get the facts straight.

I've connected enough from one Skyteam partner to Delta at AMS or CDG to verify that the on-going boarding passes do not work, and one must re-check in at connection counter airside at CDG.

Girl was probably not checked-in despite holding a boarding pass. Delta is responsible. Pursue EU-261. An oversell is not required.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Girl was probably not checked-in despite holding a boarding pass. Delta is responsible. Pursue EU-261. An oversell is not required.
Delta is responsible because a passenger failed to check in, or are you saying Delta is responsible because this is a known glitch for these connections?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Yes, we are a suspicious lot and are quick to blame the victim (not you in particular, just in general). Frankly, the goes overboard in some threads, but the others here just want to get the facts straight.

I've connected enough from one Skyteam partner to Delta at AMS or CDG to verify that the on-going boarding passes do not work, and one must re-check in at connection counter airside at CDG.

I've never has a problem with AF or KLM connections to DL resulting in the boarding passes printed at the outstation or printed during OLCI on the AF/KLM websites not being valid to board my DL flights. In some cases the intraEU flights were DL codeshares but not always.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.