Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 11:56 pm

First transatlantic flight

We are taking our first trip to the UK and are considering comfort +. I'm a little confused after reading these threads about seat assignment. We won't be using any certificates, upgrades etc. - just paying for comfort + at the time of booking several weeks out. Will we be able to select our seats prior to purchase or at least see what is available? I don't want to be split up from my wife, especially after paying for a higher fare.

Also, when comfort pus is selected for a 2 stop flight, are we in comfort plus on each leg or just the trans-Atlantic part? Thanks in advance.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:48 am

Q1: You can select your seats like normal. Most posters are referring to award travel or being bumped up to a better class due to having status. You purchase C+, you can select where you sit just like economy.

Q2: You will have C+ for the entirety of the trip of you pay for it. Meaning each leg should have it
Old May 14, 2017, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sbr7d
Q1: You can select your seats like normal. Most posters are referring to award travel or being bumped up to a better class due to having status. You purchase C+, you can select where you sit just like economy.

Q2: You will have C+ for the entirety of the trip of you pay for it. Meaning each leg should have it
Most posts in this thread are discussing C+ upgrades in the context of markets where it is being sold as a separate booking class and cannot be purchased as a seat add-on. The TATL market is NOT such a market. So for the TATL leg, it is accurate that you can pay an economy fare, then at seat selection time pay an additional fee (waived for elites subject to the usual timing) to select a C+ seat.

I don't think Q2 is correct either. I just did a random test booking for LAS-DTW-LHR in main cabin, without being logged in. On the seat selection screen DTW-LHR C+ was available as a $89 add-on. For LAS-DTW attempting to select a C+ seat displays the error message "You chose the Main Cabin experience and may only select the associated Main Cabin seats."
Old May 15, 2017, 1:46 pm

Thanks for your help. I would expect it to be as sbr7d said, but nothing would surprise me with airlines anymore regarding Zoraks comments so I'll get clarification form Delta on that.

Update: After talking extensively via Twitter message with Delta and Virgin Atlantic (both companies did an outstanding job of quickly asking my many questions), if you purchase Delta Comfort +, you get it through all legs, even overseas. However you can't see the seats available for VA until after purchase. What the VA twitter rep did for me was take a screenshot of available seating on the flight I was selecting. I thought that was excellent on his part.

Last edited by Da5id; May 16, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Comfort+ Fare Expansion

Looks like Comfort+ as a separate fare (as opposed to an ancillary product) is expanding to all Asian and Latin American destinations.

http://news.delta.com/delta-comfort-...icacaribbean-0
Delta will begin selling Delta Comfort+ as a fare for flights departing September 20, 2017, and beyond in the following travel regions:
  • Between the U.S. and Canada and Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile
  • Between the U.S. and Canada and China and Hong Kong
  • Within the Asia-Pacific region, now including China
  • Between Asia-Pacific region markets, and Latin America / Caribbean markets, now including China, Hong Kong, Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile
Old May 25, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
One of my vendors is flying me to SGN and I am on ATL-ICN in C+ on a 777 (paid).

I am sure I will survive but this is my longest flight ever not in F or J. :-)

If they don't sell the seats will they fill them up with people who didn't pay for them or non revs? Currenlty the seat map is wide open and just curious. Would be nice to have an empty middle seat.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:28 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by apodo77
One of my vendors is flying me to SGN and I am on ATL-ICN in C+ on a 777 (paid).

I am sure I will survive but this is my longest flight ever not in F or J. :-)

If they don't sell the seats will they fill them up with people who didn't pay for them or non revs? Currenlty the seat map is wide open and just curious. Would be nice to have an empty middle seat.
If they need to move people from Main Cabin into C+ operationally they will. Non-revs will also clear into C+ after J fills up. Remember that GMs get free C+ at T-72 and FOs get C+ at T-24 so many of those seats will likely fill in the last few days.

That said, C+ on the Delta 772 is about as good as it gets outside of a premium cabin. 18.5" wide and comfortable seats with 35" of pitch.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by C W
If they need to move people from Main Cabin into C+ operationally they will. Non-revs will also clear into C+ after J fills up. Remember that GMs get free C+ at T-72 and FOs get C+ at T-24 so many of those seats will likely fill in the last few days.

That said, C+ on the Delta 772 is about as good as it gets outside of a premium cabin. 18.5" wide and comfortable seats with 35" of pitch.
That's why I picked it over the 747 DTW-ICN.

Newer route (starts 6-3-17) so maybe it won't be close to sold out.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion (1M), Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite (lifetime)
Seriously upset here, guys. I'm traveling with my spouse tomorrow, SAN - MSP - BOS. On the MSP - BOS, we had exit row (aisle + middle) but just got "upgraded" to Comfort+: both my spouse & myself in middle seats away from each other! I called the Elite services line as soon as I saw this come through, asked for my old seats back, and they say they can't do it!

I honestly can't believe we would get "upgraded" to worse seats and split up. Do I just decline this option from now on to be safe? I still can't believe it...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by htfdcolt
Seriously upset here, guys. I'm traveling with my spouse tomorrow, SAN - MSP - BOS. On the MSP - BOS, we had exit row (aisle + middle) but just got "upgraded" to Comfort+: both my spouse & myself in middle seats away from each other! I called the Elite services line as soon as I saw this come through, asked for my old seats back, and they say they can't do it!

I honestly can't believe we would get "upgraded" to worse seats and split up. Do I just decline this option from now on to be safe? I still can't believe it...
Exactly. The advice given often here on FT is to not check for C+ upgrade unless there are seats available that you want. To be sure that the seats are eligible for upgrades and not just empty you can call in. My wife and I buy a lot of tickets early, but I buy them first and then see how the C+ cabin looks and have been successful in getting the upgrade after changing our selection on Delta.com

We can wish for a solution, but there are a lot of changes that have not been made which would make things easier for the passenger and Delta.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I called the Elite services line as soon as I saw this come through, asked for my old seats back, and they say they can't do it!
Has someone else already taken the seats you originally had? (You can check by doing a dummy booking on dl.com.) If not, then try calling again.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:03 am

I always decline the C+ upgrade option. Only do it manually myself if there is an aisle seat available.

Then again I don't consider C+ much of an upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion (1M), Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite (lifetime)

Thanks for those who weighed in and apparently already knew about this quirk in the C+ upgrade system. Anyway, an interesting prologue to the story. I tried twice more to get my seats changed--once at the Delta ticket counter in SAN (where they said I'd have to talk to the gate agent at MSP), then again in the SAN Sky Club (agent there was more sympathetic, but told me the same thing).

Meanwhile, on my SAN - MSP flight, I kept clicking on the "seat selection" in my online reservation at delta.com. About an hour before landing in MSP, it showed the window seat open next to one of the middles. I tried to grab it (logged in via my laptop) and it wouldn't let me. Just for kicks, I then logged in to the Delta app on my mobile, and tried the same thing. This time, it gave me the window seat (and I confirmed that my boarding pass got updated)!

When we boarded, turns out someone was sitting in the window seat. I thought that maybe the app screwed up...but then the gentleman admitted that he had seat "C" and didn't know it was the aisle.

Good to know for the future...best is to avoid checking the C+ upgrade box!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Apologies - DL's website confuses the heck out of me right now.

Helping a friend figure out a potential trip to SYD. She is FO, possibly GM. Assuming all DL metal, is this a market where she'll simply be able to select C+ seats at her window? Or does she need to be upgraded similar to how US domestics work? Or is she not eligible for C+ at all? If she routes through PVG or something, will her TPAC eligibility be different than just taking LAX-SYD?

DL.com has a mix of "to/from China and HKG" and "within APAC" and "such as TATL" language that makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
Apologies - DL's website confuses the heck out of me right now.

Helping a friend figure out a potential trip to SYD. She is FO, possibly GM. Assuming all DL metal, is this a market where she'll simply be able to select C+ seats at her window? Or does she need to be upgraded similar to how US domestics work? Or is she not eligible for C+ at all? If she routes through PVG or something, will her TPAC eligibility be different than just taking LAX-SYD?

DL.com has a mix of "to/from China and HKG" and "within APAC" and "such as TATL" language that makes no sense whatsoever.
Basically, if you do a sample booking and see C+ being sold as a separate fare class, it will tell you how the route is treated. Since C+ is not sold as a separate fare class on this route, you will be able to select C+ for free at your appropriate window (or purchase it as an add-on prior to your window). It looks like as of Sep 20th, you can request an automatic upgrade at your window. Previously, you had to manually select a C+ seat after your window opened on these routes.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 13, 2017 at 11:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.