Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico and Delta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA PP
Aeromexico and Delta

I need to fly to Central America for work and I'm wondering if there's any transfer of my diamond status on Delta to the Aeromexico flight. Is there a comfort plus equivalent or any priority boarding?

Also, is it worth saving the $200 by flying Aeromexico and skipping Delta?

Thanks in advance...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Your Diamond status will get you SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits including priority boarding, check in, security, etc. Aeromexico has Tourist Plus as their Comfort Plus equivalent but I think you can only access those if you book it as a Delta marketed flight. I have only flown Aeromexico in paid business as a Delta Skymiles member so I don't have specific experience.

If Aeromexico is a non-stop I think it is worth saving the $200. It seems like you will have a one stop itinerary either way so it comes down to the value of guaranteed 34" pitch Comfort Plus seats on Delta assuming you don't get access to Aeromexico's Tourist Plus
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
AeroMexico is a Sky Team partner, so you'll get free bags and priority boarding as a SkyTeam Elite+ member.

As for the actual seat, is the flight booked as a Delta ticket on AeroMexico metal or an AeroMexico ticket? I believe you *should* get comfort plus equivalent seats (they call it Tourist Plus) for free per the policy, but in my experience, some SkyTeam partners block off their comfort plus-esque sections on the seat map from DL-coded tickets, even if it isn't a separate cabin (KLM, for example). You can always call the diamond line and ask though.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:16 pm

Unless your final destination is in Mexico I would pay the extra $$ for Delta. The one time i'm transferred in Mexico City it was a nightmare. Equivalent to transiting in the US. Go through immigration, get back, go to customs, re-check bag, back through immigration, then more security.

Makes ATL seem pretty pleasant.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
This is just my vote, but I would avoid a connection in MEX. I found customs to be excruciatingly long and slow. For me personally, $200 isn't worth it. That being said, while a bit 'dated', MEX was a nice airport with friendly staff and helpful.

I had a great trip overall, but would just attempt to book my flights differently, if possible.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by infmedic
I need to fly to Central America for work and I'm wondering if there's any transfer of my diamond status on Delta to the Aeromexico flight. Is there a comfort plus equivalent or any priority boarding?

Also, is it worth saving the $200 by flying Aeromexico and skipping Delta?

Thanks in advance...
Do you need MQMs, etc.? I ask because tickets purchased directly from AM can be cheaper than the exact same flights purchased from DL, but you won't get the same MQMs, etc.

You also did not state from where you are flying. Most C. America connections on DL are via ATL, and coming from, say, LAX, going through ATL could add quite a bit to your trip.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
AM is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get.

I have had some awesome trips...free upgrades for ST+, no immigration line, quick luggage, awesomely stocked and staffed lounge, on time/great service.

I have had some horrible trips...no upgrades allowed for ST+, hour immigration line & wait another hour for luggage, disastrous lounge with no food and trash everywhere, multi-hour delays with no explanation, horrible service, and VDB vouchers that only go to people that speak Spanish even though you were first on the list. Also, be prepared to argue for that SkyPeso credit when flying AM.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: NW/DL Platinum 15 Years, Diamond 6 Years, DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold
Delta says my DL marketed Aeromexico flights are eligible for upgrades. Not

I have booked coach flights from SEA/LAX on DL and then LAX/MEX/SJD on flights operated by Aeromexico with DL flight numbers. We did this to try flying on a 787 with the possibility of being upgraded.

The Delta website says the AM operated flights are upgrade eligible. A few days later the reservation now says it is not upgrade eligible on the AM flights. Seat maps came up at booking and I selected seats. They now say not assigned. I have since gone back to the Delta website and pretended to book again - same thing - shows the DL flight number as upgrade eligible.

I have called Diamond line and after being put on hold for some time, I was told that the system automatically offers Diamond upgrades since it is a Delta flight number. But in reality because it is Aeromexico that operates the flight, there is no upgrade available to Diamonds.

Is this something that can be forced through if space is available? Or are we flying a long way in the back of a plane that likely has empty seats up front?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there was a thread on this a while back, perhaps about a year ago. I don't remember the conclusions, but I have the impression that upgrades were at least possible then, although perhaps with difficulty.

Please report back.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Do you need MQMs, etc.? I ask because tickets purchased directly from AM can be cheaper than the exact same flights purchased from DL, but you won't get the same MQMs, etc.
Not true. AM is a full level 1 partner and gets the same MQMs as DL metal (I travelled in J class recently, booked and flew on AM and got 200% MQM).

MQDs and RDMs are based on distance flown not ticket price. This can sometimes be an advantage (I got way more MQD and RDM than I would have had it been DL metal)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Not true. AM is a full level 1 partner and gets the same MQMs as DL metal (I travelled in J class recently, booked and flew on AM and got 200% MQM).

MQDs and RDMs are based on distance flown not ticket price. This can sometimes be an advantage (I got way more MQD and RDM than I would have had it been DL metal)
I still haven't gotten my miles from my trip on AM.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:40 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Delta Codeshare, AM operated flight (LAX-MEX). As a Diamond I can select the AM Plus seats on Delta's website but they don't stick - the seats drop off after saving.

Going to AM's website, I can select preferred seats (not AM Plus) for free. Should I be able to select AM Plus seating? Will I get better results calling?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:16 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Aeromexico and Delta

Also does anyone understand if the new joint venture arrangement includes reciprocal sky club access. The Mexico City lounge shows as being a sky club on the website but doesn't when you apply the filter for a member.

I'm wondering if this is changing in the wake of proposed JV
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
Also does anyone understand if the new joint venture arrangement includes reciprocal sky club access. The Mexico City lounge shows as being a sky club on the website but doesn't when you apply the filter for a member.

I'm wondering if this is changing in the wake of proposed JV
They are a skyteam partner and you are on an international flight....therefore you will have lounge access. If a solely domestic Mexico flight, I am not sure what the rules are.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgh234
They are a skyteam partner and you are on an international flight....therefore you will have lounge access. If a solely domestic Mexico flight, I am not sure what the rules are.
This would only apply if poster were Skyteam Elite+ or was flying F. I see no indication of that. He won't get in with just a Sky Club membership. Poster should be aware these are not really "Sky Clubs", they are AM lounges. Only DL operates actual Sky Clubs. A Sky Club membership only grants access to a limited number of partner lounges (and AM lounges are not included).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 18, 2016 at 3:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.