Delta to Start SJC - LAS

Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Also, the new SkyClub at SFO is really, really nice.
+1
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mnbp
+1
My one gripe about the new SFO club is only those 2 elevators for the long trek upstairs (and those elevators are not exactly fast)......makes no sense for the amount of traffic that club must get.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
My one gripe about the new SFO club is only those 2 elevators for the long trek upstairs (and those elevators are not exactly fast)......makes no sense for the amount of traffic that club must get.
I see you have not had the pleasure of the United Clubs at e.g. EWR, MCO, LGA, etc... Truly minor in comparison, especially since the traffic tends to cluster around the JFK flights.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kettle1
So the rumor I posted about this last week is a fact!
I have to admit, if I didn't read the USA Today article, I would laugh at that rumor as being illogical. SJC has no service to DTW and only one lousy red-eye to ATL. The hubs are far from covered. DL has much more service to the smaller city 45 miles to the north. It's such a small station that the some of the staff recognizes me.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kop84
If DL does plan more than just adding a leisure route I could see potentially adding PDX/DEN/PHX and maybe even AUS
Right! If they does have more route I can see RNO/ANC/HNL/TUS/SAN and maybe even FLL or MCO.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:10 pm

did WN recently start some previously DL-only route to which launching this would theoretically be retaliatory?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by kettle1
So the rumor I posted about this last week is a fact!
Love facts. Rumors, not so much.
Thanks for participating on the DL Forum.
O2K
Mod
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Love facts. Rumors, not so much.
Thanks for participating on the DL Forum.
O2K
Mod
^^^ that was very nice to him. You can thanks to him. Didn't you get a text from me?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Just saw this online and you can book the non-stop as well. DL is positioning itself to be the #2 airline at SJC in terms of flights offered.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...alif/75090864/
Who is number 2 today?

I thought it was AS...

DL taking a shot across AS' bow? Seems unlikely, but...

Originally Posted by kop84
DL now serves SEA/LAX/ATL/MSP/SLC and LAS from SJC.

SFO is a bloodbath and OAK is probably a non-starter for DL.

SJC might make sense for a focus city in the SFBA (yeah another new acronym!)

If DL does plan more than just adding a leisure route I could see potentially adding PDX/DEN/PHX and maybe even AUS
When you say SFO is a bloodbath, what do you mean?

In general? Or just on SFO-LAS flights / pricing?

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
So while not directly DL-related, I just wanted to add on to this. Flew DL in/out of SFO in Sept., first time in SFO in a while, and it was a madhouse in that terminal. Extremely cramped hallways/gate areas, little to no concessions, one restaurant/bar that was completely inaccessible, etc. etc. Really seemed in need of updating. I'm sure SF's intl terminal is much nicer but at least the little bit of a domestic terminal I saw there was pretty bad.
Here is my ranking:

T2
T3 (T3E and the Centurion almost make it a tie with T2)
Int'l G (nice, but not many restaurant choices)
Int'l A
T1 - 3 years or so from now it will be much improved though!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Why does it seem like DL keeps adding hubs/mini-hubs/focus cities? I feel like DL treats many major cities like their own hubs/focus cities... for example, MIA (with some random flights), LAS, MCO, RDU and even DEN (think "transcontinental" lounge access at JFK for JFK-DEN in paid F). Not saying those cities are necessarily given the hub treatment, per se, just saying it seems to me like DL treats a lot of major cities like "their own." Is LAX listed as a DL hub? It certainly functions like one.

AA and UA, on the other hand, definitely treats their hubs as their priorities, while all other cities are simply spokes. It's hard to explain, but DL's strategy feels more... "open" or "liberal."
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Think it was just a reference to UA, VX, WN, B6, and F9 all serving the airport pair.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
AA and UA, on the other hand, definitely treats their hubs as their priorities, while all other cities are simply spokes. It's hard to explain, but DL's strategy feels more... "open" or "liberal."
I can't really speak to why DL does it - I think it may be that they are opportunistic, they want to grab the gaps in a "full service" cities where they see it. I think if you are "winning" with the customer this strategy kind of makes sense - DL has seen that their product is getting traction outside their hubs and wants to leverage the advantage.

With UA, their strategy away from focus cities is endemic to the Continental EWR/IAH fortress hub hunker-down mindset - I'll stop here lest I end up on a rant.

AA I am ever-less familiar with since DL/UA serve my FF needs better, but I know at one point they had a "five points" strategy (JFK/LGA, MIA, DFW, LAX, ORD) that emphasized their hubs (and de-emphasized focus cities and ex-hubs like STL, SJC, RDU). I don't know if that survived the last BK or if it is still a governing strategy but it would explain the hub focus.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I have absolutely no data to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if SJC-LAS is one of the busiest routes in the country with just a single airline. Seems like there was an opportunity here.

SJC is very generous with new service, I'm guessing DL is getting fees waived for a while.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Think it was just a reference to UA, VX, WN, B6, and F9 all serving the airport pair.
Cavalier is correct. SFO is a UA Hub and well served by many LLC's. Then factor in the fog that rolls in pretty much daily and trying to make SFO a focus city for DL is a recipe to hemorrhage cash and their highly touted on time performance.

SJC has far less US3 service and it would seem like a better place for DL to try to capture some decent money from Silicon Valley, especially those people who WFBF and don't want to deal with SFO.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Who is number 2 today?

I thought it was AS...
In terms of flights, DL is #2. This link shows the number of weekly flights from SJC by the various carriers.

http://www.flysanjose.com/fl/travele...Weekly+Flights

In terms of seats, DL is probably #4 behind WN, AS, and AA. DL tends to use more regional jets than AS and AA out of SJC. AA only uses RJs to LAX while DL uses them to LAX, SEA, and SLC (though there is some mainline to LAX and SLC).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.