Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Maybe I'm overthinking this too much. I appreciate the reports by a few FTers who didn't see their spend reset. Just to "be that way" I called Amex again a few minutes ago, and they insist the spend will reset *for MQM bonus purposes* if I upgrade my DL Plat to the Reserve. The total MQD waiver spend continues to accumulate without resetting.

I wonder if this is a recent change on Amex part.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Maybe I'm overthinking this too much. I appreciate the reports by a few FTers who didn't see their spend reset. Just to "be that way" I called Amex again a few minutes ago, and they insist the spend will reset *for MQM bonus purposes* if I upgrade my DL Plat to the Reserve. The total MQD waiver spend continues to accumulate without resetting.

I wonder if this is a recent change on Amex part.
The "policy" has always been that for MQM boost purposes it resets (and this is why I said as much above). In the past it may have been inconsistently applied; I'm not sure if they are enforcing it better now. Some people had some success with CSRs taking pity and manually giving out the boosts when they transferred and lost spend credit.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by matthew64832
The "policy" has always been that for MQM boost purposes it resets (and this is why I said as much above). In the past it may have been inconsistently applied; I'm not sure if they are enforcing it better now. Some people had some success with CSRs taking pity and manually giving out the boosts when they transferred and lost spend credit.
I've also been reading the T&C for the Reserve card, and all of the language says to spend $30K for 15KMQM, and then an additional $30K for an additional 15KMQM. Nothing about carry over from Platinum spend.

I'll go take a nap now.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by matthew64832
Before upgrading my Platinum to Reserve a few months ago, I read through everything I could find here on FT on this matter and the anecdotal evidence I could find indicated that there is no reset if you upgrade cards. Based on the anecdotal evidence, I went ahead and upgraded from Platinum to Reserve, never discussing the rollover issue with AMEX, just counting on the anecdotal evidence here on FT being correct. My experience subsequent to the upgrade was consistent with the anecdotal evidence.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
I wasn't reset when I upgraded mid year from Platinum to Reserve.

This has been several years ago....right when the Reserve card was introduced.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Beckles
Before upgrading my Platinum to Reserve a few months ago, I read through everything I could find here on FT on this matter and the anecdotal evidence I could find indicated that there is no reset if you upgrade cards. Based on the anecdotal evidence, I went ahead and upgraded from Platinum to Reserve, never discussing the rollover issue with AMEX, just counting on the anecdotal evidence here on FT being correct. My experience subsequent to the upgrade was consistent with the anecdotal evidence.
When I went from Gold to Platinium it also wasns't reset.

I'm going to be ok for miles this year to be diamond for the 2015 year but may not be the case next year. I also quit spending on both my platinum cards at exactly $50K for the 40K mqm's. Would be nice next year to be able to upgrade my personal Plat to a reserve and get another 15K MQMs for just putting $10k in spend on it. That would get me to diamond for sure another year
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Sort of a related question - does the "anniversary date" for the companion cert reset when you upgrade?

I'm at about $20k spend so far this year and am considering upgrading Plat>Reserve. My AF hits in April (I think) and the cert usually posts to my DL account a few weeks later. I'm relatively certain I'll pass $25k before my renewal date unless I stop spending on it, so I'd like to upgrade now, but not if it means I have to wait until March 2015 to get my next companion cert.

Also, any anecdotal evidence on whether a mid-year upgrade results in the next cert being of the Reserve vs. Plat variety?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the useful data points folks.

I've read elsewhere that to upgrade Delta cards (e.g., a platinum to reserve), the card has to have been open 12 months. Has that been your experience?

If so, I wonder if it differs w/ business cards, since the justification cited for the waiting period is consumer protection laws.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DaveH
Thanks for the useful data points folks.

I've read elsewhere that to upgrade Delta cards (e.g., a platinum to reserve), the card has to have been open 12 months. Has that been your experience?

If so, I wonder if it differs w/ business cards, since the justification cited for the waiting period is consumer protection laws.
Yes for personal.

Not sure for biz.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM
So I'm going to piggy back on this thread with a question I have. I currently hold the Platinum card and was thinking of upgrading to Reserve. I called in a month ago (this account is new for me as of March 2014) and asked if I could upgrade and they told me I wasn't eligible.

Would I be able to just open a reserve account in addition to my platinum account? I'm prob somewhere near 100k on credit card spend so my thought would be to switch over to reserve once I hit 50k on the platinum. If I could maintain the two accounts, starting in 2015, I would use the Reserve as my primary and once I hit 60k move everything over to the Platinum. Is this possible?

Gratzi!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
So I'm going to piggy back on this thread with a question I have. I currently hold the Platinum card and was thinking of upgrading to Reserve. I called in a month ago (this account is new for me as of March 2014) and asked if I could upgrade and they told me I wasn't eligible.

Would I be able to just open a reserve account in addition to my platinum account? I'm prob somewhere near 100k on credit card spend so my thought would be to switch over to reserve once I hit 50k on the platinum. If I could maintain the two accounts, starting in 2015, I would use the Reserve as my primary and once I hit 60k move everything over to the Platinum. Is this possible?

Gratzi!
For personal cards in the US, you cannot upgrade to a card with a higher AF within the first 12 months of having your account. It's part of the federal CARD Act, not just an Amex policy.

You could open a second Reserve account, but you wouldn't get the signup bonus for it if you already hold a Platinum.

Alternatively, if you are eligible, you can open a business Reserve card to put your spend there and also get the signup bonus.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks gooselee! It seems you are always answering my questions! I appreciate it. I'm not so much worried about the sign up bonus however that would obviously be a plus.

What does it take to be "eligible" for a business Reserve card? I do have a small website I maintain as a hobby/business although it's certainly not profitable or very official.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Thanks gooselee! It seems you are always answering my questions! I appreciate it. I'm not so much worried about the sign up bonus however that would obviously be a plus.

What does it take to be "eligible" for a business Reserve card? I do have a small website I maintain as a hobby/business although it's certainly not profitable or very official.
Happy to help!

Browse around the Amex forum here and you'll find a thread or two on what qualifies, as well as the differences (consumer protections, access to OPEN network, etc.) of the biz cards.

If you run a website that generates income, whether profitable or not, one could argue that it is a sole proprietorship business for which you want a biz credit card in order to separately track your expenses for that venture.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So based on FT experience I am hoping I will get the bonus. I signed up for the gold card when they had the 100k Seattle bonus. I upgraded to the reserve card after my last statement closed on Nov 12 at $29,836. My next statement will be over $30k...should I expect the 15k MQM?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Upgrading Mid Year to the Delta Reserve Card - Will My Existing Spending Carry Over?

o.k., so my Sky Club membership expires later this month and I want to upgrade from a Delta Platinum Card to a Delta Reserve to give me Sky Club Access.

I've already received my first 10,000 MQM mileage boost and am midway to the second.

So here's my question. If I move to the Reserve Card can I still get the second MQM boost (assuming I spend the money, of course).

Let's say I am at $12,000 toward the $25,000 needed for the additional 10,000 MQM with my existing Platinum Card.

Will the $12,000 be carried over to the Reserve card? How much more will I have to spend to get the Reserve mileage boost?

Yes, I called AMEX and both the agent and his supervisor had to do research which did not leave me confident with the answer they gave.

Has anyone upgraded to the Reserve Card mid year? What happened to your spending toward the MQM mileage boost?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.