Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL-LON, advice on best premium econ seat/metal

Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, GOES

Unexpected trip pops up ATL-LON on 10/18-11/7 (flex dates). Looks like I won't be allowed to book 1st/Biz. Question: between DL and its' partners, what premium economy seat would you select? I've got a lot of flexibility on dates, airports, eg; ATL-JFK-LON.

What gets me is that I did an India trip this spring, biz class, DL booked (AF metal) for about $5000, with same lead time, about 2 weeks. Twice the distance for $2K less than the cheapest biz I can find to LON now, which is about $7200.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Delta has Comfort+ (economy seat with more leg room and recline). C+ is complimentary for PMs.

Tons of info here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html

Virgin Atlantic (VS) is really the only carrier with a true premium economy product from the US direct into London. They are a DL partner and operate a direct flight from ATL to LHR. On VS, PE is its own class of service - not free for DM/PM.

Easy to find many details on the VS PE product in the Virgin Atlantic forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...london-dl.html

Last edited by rwoman; Oct 6, 2015 at 7:01 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks RW, I never noticed that FAQ during my searches prior to posting. duh. Totally up on domestic C+, etc.

I was generally aware of VS PE, haven't checked out specifics.

Would you say then that VS PE will be my best bet, over any other DL bookable product? (want the most MQM/SM).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
The only other Premium Economy product would be AF which means you'd have to fly CDG-LON, which doesn't sound like fun....
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EditingFX
Thanks RW, I never noticed that FAQ during my searches prior to posting. duh. Totally up on domestic C+, etc.

I was generally aware of VS PE, haven't checked out specifics.

Would you say then that VS PE will be my best bet, over any other DL bookable product? (want the most MQM/SM).
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
The only other Premium Economy product would be AF which means you'd have to fly CDG-LON, which doesn't sound like fun....
Agree. I think the VS PE seat is better than the AF seat. And flying direct is an option.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If you can book VS PE then I would. You can't compare it to DL C+. DL C+ is coach, with a few very minor extras to make it only slightly more comfortable. PE is a completely separate cabin with a different seat design, more akin to DL's domestic first class. If you book it, I would also imagine that your chances of an op-up to Upper Class would be a bit higher.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Oct 6, 2015 at 8:24 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Cool on VS PE, then.

Suggestions on best choice of equipment, like 787? Any other tips/tricks on booking a VS PE through DL? (I'll read the 57 pages on the ATL-LON FAQ soon, but odds are I'll need to book before I have that time! lol)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL does not have a PE cabin (no US carrier does). DL offers Comfort Plus in its Y cabin (just as UA offers E+ and AA offers MCE). This involves a bit more legroom, but no particularly special seat, meals or the like.

For ATL-LHR, VS has a PE cabin with all of the bells and whistles of something between Y and J.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
Delta has Comfort+ (economy seat with more leg room and recline). C+ is complimentary for PMs.

Tons of info here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html

Virgin Atlantic (VS) is really the only carrier with a true premium economy product from the US direct into London. They are a DL partner and operate a direct flight from ATL to LHR. On VS, PE is its own class of service - not free for DM/PM.

Easy to find many details on the VS PE product in the Virgin Atlantic forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...london-dl.html
VS is the only carrier with Premium Economy direct from the USA into London? What about BA?

If the OP wants to arrive at some London airport other than LHR, AF through CDG might make sense, although it might be the case that most of the flights into LCY, LGW, LUT, etc. go from Orly. Getting there from CDG after a TPAC flight would be horrible. (I did that once, not by choice.)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
VS is the only carrier with Premium Economy direct from the USA into London? What about BA?
Good point, although I believe that VS is the only DL partner to offer W class. OP's PM status on DL would make VS a better choice over BA.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

If the OP wants to arrive at some London airport other than LHR, AF through CDG might make sense, although it might be the case that most of the flights into LCY, LGW, LUT, etc. go from Orly. Getting there from CDG after a TPAC flight would be horrible. (I did that once, not by choice.)
That earns MQMs and RDMs, which the OP indicated they want,...yes. @:-)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thinking I'd really like to find a 787, but not seeing a good way to search flights based on equipment. I know I can look at the flight details for each, but considering I'm flexible on days, that can be a lot of flights trying to find one that's a 787.

and yeah, re: MQM/RDM
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EditingFX
Thinking I'd really like to find a 787, but not seeing a good way to search flights based on equipment.
I think you'd need to connect via LAX, JFK (I think one of the flights might be a 787), EWR (not always scheduled), or BOS.

VS LINK on 787 service
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Ah, bummer. Given that, is there much of a difference in PE between the other equipment?

Edit: finding that RW had it correct, seems 787-9 means a BOS change. Seeing as VS doesn't have that many equipment types, I'll just use SeatGuru.

Thanks all!

Last edited by EditingFX; Oct 6, 2015 at 9:29 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
That earns MQMs and RDMs, which the OP indicated they want,...yes. @:-)
The OP said DL partner but someone reading this thread later might want to consider other carriers. For them, IMO it's a disservice to suggest that VS is the only possible choice without qualifying the statement to say that VS is the only DL partner with Premium Economy on the nonstop TATL route to LHR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.