Go Back   > > >

Old Oct 5, 15, 7:13 pm   #1
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Flying Snack Cart

So, I was sitting in my favorite seat in first. Shakespeare's seat. 2B. When after takeoff, there is a bit of turbulence followed by a loud crash as the snack cart falls into the first class cabin. Snacks, coffee, and water bottles go rolling and splashing down the aisle. I fly every week and have not seen anything like it. The guy in 1B was splashed with a bit of the coffee, but was super nice. The FA was very apologetic and brought over the skymiles calculator machine thing. If I overheard correctly, he got 60,000 points and dry-cleaning. He never asked for miles, but I am not sure I would have even expected miles. It was just a mistake. The dry cleaning would have been super helpful though. Thoughts?
securesmaskfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 7:27 pm   #2

Programs: DL PLAT, IC AMB
A few months back during a bumpy take off on an old MD-88 one of the ceiling panels fell to the floor. Luckily it landed in the aisle and nobody was hurt. When we got to a calmer attitude the flight attended got up and popped it back in like it was a normal thing. Seated in F and a few feet from the ceiling panel, I was not offered anything for my emotional pain and suffering!
fly7b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:18 pm   #3

Programs: Delta Gold, United, American
Tell me more about the Skymiles calculator thing...
kahuna613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:27 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM Kryptonium, AA Plat, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, MR Silver, Nat'l Exec, Avis P+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna613 View Post
Tell me more about the Skymiles calculator thing...
Flight attendants are equipped with tablets from which they are able to issue compensation in flight.
javabytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:53 pm   #5

Programs: DL AMEX, GE, IHG, SPG, AAA
I had that happen to me last time I flew from LAX to SYD, my AVOD did not work, and the FA "comped" me 7500 miles. She showed me on her tablet device the comp.
JAldrich73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:53 pm   #6

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat, Amex Plat, Marriott, Avis Preferred
Quote:
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst View Post
So, I was sitting in my favorite seat in first. Shakespeare's seat. 2B. When after takeoff, there is a bit of turbulence followed by a loud crash as the snack cart falls into the first class cabin. Snacks, coffee, and water bottles go rolling and splashing down the aisle. I fly every week and have not seen anything like it. The guy in 1B was splashed with a bit of the coffee, but was super nice. The FA was very apologetic and brought over the skymiles calculator machine thing. If I overheard correctly, he got 60,000 points and dry-cleaning. He never asked for miles, but I am not sure I would have even expected miles. It was just a mistake. The dry cleaning would have been super helpful though. Thoughts?
That seems like a higher amount of miles than I have ever heard of for anything, but who knows. That being said, this is potentially a very big mistake. Being spilled on is not a big deal, but those carts are heavy and could cause serious injury or worse, and do some real serious damage to property. And for that cart to go flying, several locking mechanisms would have to have either failed or not been properly engaged.

From what I recall, those carts are held in by multiple guards, and the cart itself also has a brake.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Oct 5, 15 at 9:03 pm
jdrtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:56 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamante & NW Million Air - CO UA US WN & Wyndham Rewards
Quote:
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst View Post
he got 60,000 points and dry-cleaning
WOW!!! I wish the cart would fly into me one of these days! I wonder how many miles I'd get for soiling my luxurious jeans and sneakerz!

That said, I mentioned to a lead FA once, in a sort of joking manor, about a minor issue I was having (can't remember what it was), and about using his machine to get some miles, and his response was "Oh, I never use that thing!"
davetravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:59 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamante & NW Million Air - CO UA US WN & Wyndham Rewards
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
From what I recall, those carts are held in by multiple guards, and the cart itself also has a break brake.
Fixed that for'ya!
davetravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 15, 9:03 pm   #9

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat, Amex Plat, Marriott, Avis Preferred
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Fixed that for'ya!
ugh, it's been a long week already: Thanks. Fixed.
jdrtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 15, 2:47 am   #10

Programs: DL Silver
Wow, 60K miles!! If that was indeed the amount comped I'd say he was darn lucky. The most I ever received was 30K after complaining about an experience in JFK years back. My fiancÚ recently sent an email about how a checked bag was delayed during an IRROP in ATL and received 10K.
GagaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 15, 4:36 am   #11

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly7b2 View Post
A few months back during a bumpy take off on an old MD-88 one of the ceiling panels fell to the floor. Luckily it landed in the aisle and nobody was hurt. When we got to a calmer attitude the flight attended got up and popped it back in like it was a normal thing. Seated in F and a few feet from the ceiling panel, I was not offered anything for my emotional pain and suffering!
I had a similar situation in a 767 headed towards London. Even though the ceiling panel isn't an integral part of the plane, there were quite a few screams.
PDXNRTLHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 15, 5:00 am   #12

Programs: DL DM
Use caution.....miles payouts are actively tracked by the CRM system at DL and those that are greedy will find diminishing returns.
bubbashow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 15, 8:22 am   #13

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM, FC; UAL; AAL
The smaller, lighter weight carts used on the MD-88/90 and other aircraft are a "lawsuit waiting to happen" as some fellow passengers have said to me. They are difficult to maneuver and top heavy--In my estimation, not good for even light turbulence!
DLDMFLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 15, 9:38 am   #14

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Use caution.....miles payouts are actively tracked by the CRM system at DL and those that are greedy will find diminishing returns.
Does that mean that my 37,500 miles from Bags on Time will wither to nothing?
burbanite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 15, 11:05 am   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL KM, DM, MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat, MR Platinum, 3 other airlines, 2 other hotels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
That seems like a higher amount of miles than I have ever heard of for anything, but who knows. That being said, this is potentially a very big mistake. Being spilled on is not a big deal,
Water is nothing.

Soda/fruit juice requires cleaning.

Hot coffee can be a very big deal. Fortunately, at altitude (low air pressure) the boiling point is lower.
sethb is offline   Reply With Quote