Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to cut jobs in management, salaried ranks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to cut jobs in management, salaried ranks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: delta dm
Why not just keep the employees not fire them and get rid of benefits across the board
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Why not just keep the employees not fire them and get rid of benefits across the board
That would be equivalent to a pay cut. You'd lose the best people.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That would be equivalent to a pay cut. You'd lose the best people.
People don't work at airlines for they pay because it's already uncompetitive.

Duh
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If DL wants to thin out managment then they should start with Anderson and work their way down.
If you think the Delta board is anything less than pleased with Anderson's performance, you are mistaken.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
If you think the Delta board is anything less than pleased with Anderson's performance, you are mistaken.
I don't see anything impressive. Who couldn't make money when half of your competition has been eliminated in rapid succession? Delta's frontline employees made it easy during the merger since PMDL was larger and non-union. Thankfully it stayed that way. Aneerson has gone off the deep end with his battle with the ME3 and the Ex-Im situation. He comes off as a grade A moron in the media. That's not an image that Delta should aspire to have amongst their managment.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If DL wants to thin out managment then they should start with Anderson and work their way down.
You are kidding, correct?

I agree RA should let a DL media spokesperson do the talking with the media.

Do you work for DL? If so, are you in DL management?

I have made a lot of $$$ with DL stock with RA running the show. I also know many people that work at DL and they are very happy with the pay raise, bump in the 401K plan and profit sharing.

I also know many people that work at other airlines. The UA employees are not happy campers.

As for RA taking on the ME3 - he is not alone. AA and UA are also with DL on this issue.

What about this? http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/do...-airports.html
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1
I also know many people that work at DL and they are very happy with the pay raise, bump in the 401K plan and profit sharing.
If your friends work in white collar jobs, I suspect they won't be happy much longer. When 10,000 employees are wondering if they'll survive the layoffs, it tends to take its toll on morale.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
If your friends work in white collar jobs, I suspect they won't be happy much longer. When 10,000 employees are wondering if they'll survive the layoffs, it tends to take its toll on morale.
DL is not cutting 10,000 jobs.

My friends at DL are people at all levels within DL. I know two people on the BOD of DAL, many in Customer Service, Ramp, FA's, Pilots and even a guy that drives the honey bucket truck. I also know a few Station Managers. RA is making a very good decision to cut the fat. Morale will go up for 80,000 people when DL gets rid of some of these "white collar" ATL based professionals, sitting at a desk from 9-5.

My company keeps things lean. We turn a good profit every year. The airline business is changing. DL needs to get rid of some of middle management.

The question is - will UA follow, as they copy everything DL does?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:09 pm
Suspended

So why did RA hire these people in the first place if he was just going to turn around and fire them? Do you have something against "white collar" employees? This just further proves that the airline industry will forever be unstable as far as employment goes.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:31 pm

So why did RA hire these people in the first place if he was just going to turn around and fire them? Do you have something against "white collar" employees? This just further proves that the airline industry will forever be unstable as far as employment goes.
I doubt RA "hired" these people. I think it is over staffing. Too much middle management. Cut the fat in ATL, MSP and DTW.

What is the beef with RA? "Readywhen" do you work for DL? Are you a white collar employee with DL?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:37 pm
Suspended

I doubt RA "hired" these people. I think it is over staffing. Too much middle management. Cut the fat in ATL, MSP and DTW.

What is the beef with RA? Ready do you work for DL? Are you a white collar employee with DL?
All job cuts will come from ATL. There are no corporate offices in MSP or DTW. I have a problem with laying off employees unless it is the only option left. How much money in legal fees and advertising has Delta wasted trying to fight the ME3 and the Ex-Im Bank? How much money have they spent on DC lobbyists? I don't work for DL corporate but I know fellow graduates that do (they have nothing to do with Skymikes btw). I know they have worked very hard to get to where they are and I don't like the thought of RA kicking them to the curb. If he would give up a % of his annual compensation that would likely bring all the savings they need.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:07 am

All job cuts will come from ATL. There are no corporate offices in MSP or DTW. I have a problem with laying off employees unless it is the only option left. How much money in legal fees and advertising has Delta wasted trying to fight the ME3 and the Ex-Im Bank? How much money have they spent on DC lobbyists? I don't work for DL corporate but I know fellow graduates that do (they have nothing to do with Skymikes btw). I know they have worked very hard to get to where they are and I don't like the thought of RA kicking them to the curb. If he would give up a % of his annual compensation that would likely bring all the savings they need.
I have now idea how much DL management has left in DTW or MSP. ATL is bloated. 10,000 people worried about their jobs is a huge reach. DL will give the people the option to transfer to another position or give them a "package" to leave.

RA is not kicking anyone to the curb. It is business. I deal with this everyday and I run a much smaller company.

How much money in legal fees and advertising has Delta wasted trying to fight the ME3 and the Ex-Im Bank? How much money have they spent on DC lobbyists?
Who cares on that statement. I agree with DL, UA and AA on this. It is unfair.

[RA] If he would give up a % of his annual compensation that would likely bring all the savings they need.
Airline CEO's are underpaid (when making record profits) and DL is smart to cut the white collar suits sitting in ATL sharpening pencils. Cut the fat.

readywhenyouare, not to get personal. Do you work for Delta Airlines? You seemed to skip that by up thread. DL is a great carrier. You seem to have a beef?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:17 am
Suspended

I have now idea how much DL management has left in DTW or MSP. ATL is bloated. 10,000 people worried about their jobs is a huge reach. DL will give the people the option to transfer to another position or give them a "package" to leave.

RA is not kicking anyone to the curb. It is business. I deal with this everyday and I run a much smaller company.

Who cares on that statement. I agree with DL, UA and AA on this. It is unfair.

Airline CEO's are underpaid (when making record profits) and DL is smart to cut the white collar suits sitting in ATL sharpening pencils. Cut the fat.

readywhenyouare, not to get personal. Do you work for Delta Airlines? You seemed to skip that by up thread. DL is a great carrier. You seem to have a beef?
I stayed in reply #26 that I was not a DL employee. For a long time I really loved DL. My grandmother worked for Chicago & Southern and then DL after the merger. PMDL fit my need for an airline perfectly. Hubs in good cities, no cheap Airbus (the PA A310's were quickly given the boot), friendly employees (still mostly the case today) and DL was the least unionized of any legacy airline. It was when RA broke the gentlemen's agreement with Boeing that I knew he was certainly no gentleman. And he proves it every time he opens his mouth.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Who couldn't make money when half of your competition has been eliminated in rapid succession?
And fuel, one of your biggest expenses, has dropped by over 50%.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM PM
DL is not cutting 10,000 jobs.

My friends at DL are people at all levels within DL. I know two people on the BOD of DAL, many in Customer Service, Ramp, FA's, Pilots and even a guy that drives the honey bucket truck. I also know a few Station Managers. RA is making a very good decision to cut the fat. Morale will go up for 80,000 people when DL gets rid of some of these "white collar" ATL based professionals, sitting at a desk from 9-5.

My company keeps things lean. We turn a good profit every year. The airline business is changing. DL needs to get rid of some of middle management.

The question is - will UA follow, as they copy everything DL does?
The cuts will come from the 10k white collar workers in ATL, in unspecified numbers, but morale among all 10k will drop.

It's not necessary to work for DL in order to feel kinship with workers rather than glee for fat cats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.