Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No ID required in Skyclub starting October 1st?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - DM, Ritz PM, Hertz President's Club, National Executive Elite

Was told entering the Skyclub today that I would not need to show my ID starting October 1st. I cannot find anything about it online. Why the change?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The likely answer is that some bean counter decided that the labour cost of checking IDs was more than the cost of providing service to those slipping in w/o correct credentials.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: DM MM
I would guess if checking in with boarding pass on your phone the chance of someone giving up their phone so someone can get in is very low, they may still have to check ID if all you have is a hard card.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:38 pm

about bloody time!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I would love this change. Your IDs are already checked enough. If you carry a boarding pass with the name of a traveler that is eligible, for goodness sakes just let them in, instead of making everyone wait in line to check their IDs for the 3rd time.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM
So, I have mixed results.

I was told the same thing this AM at the RDU SkyClub ("We don't need to see IDs any longer.")

However, an hour later at the DTW SkyClub (A18), they specifically asked to show ID.

I really hope the no-ID thing is legit, but moreover, that it's properly cascaded to all employees.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by southpaw1227
So, I have mixed results.

I was told the same thing this AM at the RDU SkyClub ("We don't need to see IDs any longer.")

However, an hour later at the DTW SkyClub (A18), they specifically asked to show ID.

I really hope the no-ID thing is legit, but moreover, that it's properly cascaded to all employees.
Well it's not yet October 1... and I wonder if they may need to still check at clubs with self-service bars.

Last edited by javabytes; Sep 29, 2015 at 8:36 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The likely answer is that some bean counter decided that the labour cost of checking IDs was more than the cost of providing service to those slipping in w/o correct credentials.
I don't see how this would result in any cost savings whatsoever for Delta. The desk agents are paid hourly and their workload isn't a limiting factor for admissions.

My crazy conspiracy theory is that Delta realized they get paid per admission from Amex whenever a cardholder enters (at least for Platinum cards) and they realized they can milk Amex for additional admission fees for fraudulent admissions.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I already have to reach to produce th ticket. My ID is in the same pocket, so no extra effort needed.
Whether they check or don't check it doesn't matter to me.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:47 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by realjd
I don't see how this would result in any cost savings whatsoever for Delta. The desk agents are paid hourly and their workload isn't a limiting factor for admissions.

My crazy conspiracy theory is that Delta realized they get paid per admission from Amex whenever a cardholder enters (at least for Platinum cards) and they realized they can milk Amex for additional admission fees for fraudulent admissions.
Have you ever seen the line that forms at the LAX SC of people waiting to check-in???

I agree with the poster above--your ID gets checked enough by Baggage check-in, TSA, etc. Having to show it to the SC desk agents is a waste of time and I think this news is great. ^^
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Showing I'D has never been an issue for me. It's the fools that do not have their credentials out before they enter the club and thus hold up the line that gets me....

So now, if you find a boarding pass on the floor and it has SC ACCESS, you have a free ticket to the club.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Showing I'D has never been an issue for me. It's the fools that do not have their credentials out before they enter the club and thus hold up the line that gets me....

So now, if you find a boarding pass on the floor and it has SC ACCESS, you have a free ticket to the club.
To me, it's extremely inconsistent to require that SC members pay more for the executive membership that includes guests and at the same time make a policy change to no longer require ID. The possibilities to cheat with this new system are enormous.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 355F1
Have you ever seen the line that forms at the LAX SC of people waiting to check-in???

I agree with the poster above--your ID gets checked enough by Baggage check-in, TSA, etc. Having to show it to the SC desk agents is a waste of time and I think this news is great. ^^
I don't understand: the time the agent takes to show you in is for checking the ticket not the ID, which in most case I'm sure they just give a cursory look.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by thesaints
I don't understand: the time the agent takes to show you in is for checking the ticket not the ID, which in most case I'm sure they just give a cursory look.
It's for both. And a lot of people fumble around with their ID because they aren't expecting to need it. Usually a scan of the BP is all that is needed, which is quicker than a visual confirmation.

Regardless, not checking IDs will speed the process. And it will open up other methods too- Virgin has kiosks in their clubs and you just scan your BP and walk in.

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Maybe, but you risk getting caught if that person is already in the club, or if they show up later. Not sure what the punishment would be, maybe nothing more than getting kicked out, but they scan people in now so it isn't quite as easy as you make it sound.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: DM/3MM
When the ID requirement for SC admittance was first rolled out, didn't DL say that it was due to some sort of federal regulation? I even recall they had small signs saying something like that.

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Sep 30, 2015 at 8:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.