Diamond is the new Silver?

Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by puddinhead
Extra checked bag
More RDM
Access to SkyTeam lounges (I get that with BE but I can bring a guest from coach)
Gift - $200 Tiffany gift makes great wedding gift.
No charge award cancellation
^

Or anniversary, or birthday, or "get out of doghouse free" gift. I use my PM choice for a Tiffany GC and one of my DM choices for a second.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by emrdoc
if you are getting middle seats as a Diamond then you are being way too passive.
How so? When you book late and get one of the last seats, even with an M or higher class, there isn't much you can do.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sandwich, IHG Spire, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
But, that's not any funnnnnn!! You're missing out on the "game" of . . . .

Will I get the UG - - or won't I?

Checking every evening at the time when the UG window passes to see if it cleared!

If it doesn't, checking the UG list every 10 minutes all day before departure!

Will Shena rear her ugly head, so I can post it on FlyerTalk?

UG's don't clear, so, then, you can come here to bit$ch about it!

See, paying takes the fun out of it!!!

I do the first three. LOL. No bi$%ing though.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
If you find no value in being a DM, fly another airline, because the horror stories on this site are laughable.
NOTHING has changed at FlyerTalk, EVER!!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
No, it is not the new FO. That said, the ability to redeem certain published benefits (as well as unpublished benefits) has been declining.

The people who answer the diamond desk calls are not always diamond desk people anymore,
The ability to request certain exemptions has been declining,
and the feeling of 'we will go the extra mile for you' is certainly not always around. I live out the problems listed in this thread (e.g. actual available upgrade list).
The ability, and willingness, of agents to actually go and manual 'write in' something if the computer gets it wrong (and it does).
The percentage of times agents need to call a supervisor or tech support to solve a problem has been increasing, and as a result the time I need to 'hold in line' increases as well, to the point I almost missed a flight
The general 'if there is a way to interpret the rule in your favor, we'd do it' approach is further away than it used to be. Not the old 'no waivers, no favors', but certainly not the 'let's help you out!' approach.

Finished venting. Move on.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
On the xATL, the GA simply follows procedure and didn't gum up departure by pulling pax who boarded from Y to F. OP and OP's friend presumably know that and the guy he knows made a decision to chance it or didn't ask the GA to commit to finding him..
Originally Posted by mattp1987
How does pulling two non-revs from the back gum up departure more than pulling DMs from the back?
THIS!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by thoiboi
FFS, why does it even matter if you have status Mr. "I always buy P"..? why even bother with status at that point?
Exactly, status doesn't matter except for people traveling on other peoples money.

I've shopped all the lagacies domestically and it's frequently the case that you can purchase F for $200 over coach - Delta, United, AA, they are ALL doing it.

FF programs are just icing on the cake these days. IMO this is the healthiest perspective.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Exactly, status doesn't matter except for people traveling on other peoples money.

You don't know what you are talking about. I have been a DM since the beginning (PM every year before that) and paid for it all myself. I own the companies (yes, plural) and pay for F typically so it all comes out of my pocket. I value my status (less these days), but I still value it and still give DL my business, especially given my market and the need to have wifi in the air on almost every flight.

TFD
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoiboi

FFS, why does it even matter if you have status Mr. "I always buy P"..? why even bother with status at that point?

As misguided as this comment is, if only it were true. The Princess and I chase status with several Reserve cards and fly BC most every time for free on OOM. Please please more people believe in his OPM idea. We will be so grateful. Please and thank you.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by prelude410
Wrong place wrong time. I am going on 23 upgrades straight...based out of Atlanta, no lie
I call BS.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm so tired of these threads. Missing one upgrade hardly makes Diamond have the same value as Silver.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm so tired of these threads. Missing one upgrade hardly makes Diamond have the same value as Silver.
You are right. But I think DLroads' comments are spot on.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by prelude410
Wrong place wrong time. I am going on 23 upgrades straight...based out of Atlanta, no lie
Yeah I've been getting upgraded like crazy also, even DFW-ATL.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by lucycan
I call BS.
They don't seem to list the "paid" and "flown" fares anymore, but based on what I remember, at least the last 15 of mine were upgraded. Yep, 15 of 15. Not counting awards and CRJ's, of course.

I stopped scrolling at that point so could be more. Many of these were easy (PHF-ATL, ATL-VPS) but not all (ATL-LAS, DFW). And generally during rush hours.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
It all depends on time and route. My upgrades this year are definitely down from last year. But, I'm also doing more long haul flights at peak times.

Last week I was about to not get upgraded for the thursday evening consultant shuttle from MSP to IND. But, I got to the airport a little early and got the last seat on the earlier flight home. Sure, it was 20A on a CRJ and we were landing before the drink cart made it back, but as a DM i jumped over 20+ on the standby list for that seat. I'll take getting home 2 hours early over a couple woodfords every time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.