Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond is the new Silver?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
33/33 on upgrades this year as a DM.
You know it's now going to be 33/34, right?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by steveholt
33/33 on upgrades this year as a DM.
I'm sure it's just a FT handle, but in my mind's eye I see the scene as

GA: passenger Holt, please come to the podium
steveholt: [fistpump] STEVE HOLT!

every time, and the idea amuses me to no end
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
But, that's not any funnnnnn!! You're missing out on the "game" of . . . .

Will I get the UG - - or won't I?

Checking every evening at the time when the UG window passes to see if it cleared!

If it doesn't, checking the UG list every 10 minutes all day before departure!

Will Shena rear her ugly head, so I can post it on FlyerTalk?

UG's don't clear, so, then, you can come here to bit$ch about it!

See, paying takes the fun out of it!!!

You missed those who look to try to avoid the bulkhead. Maybe you don't fly every week?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm sure it's just a FT handle, but in my mind's eye I see the scene as

GA: passenger Holt, please come to the podium
steveholt: [fistpump] STEVE HOLT!

every time, and the idea amuses me to no end
In my head he says:
steveholt: [fistpump] The Holt does it again!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Just sayin....I am explat on AA and for at least the 2016 program year it will be the current program (changes coming mid year). I have missed exactly 1 upgrade out of 36 since the beginning of the year. Say what you want about AA but my on time % has been great and I am up front every flight (literally just got off a $132 LAX-BOS flight in F at 100 hours out) and happy with the service. Granted it is bound to go away but as a DM you would need to fly 25K LESS than on DL and you would be up front with an "acceptable" meal as bubba correctly put it and with a bigger seat for free. At least for one more program year you have an option..
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:43 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
There isn't much "point." I like award ticket no-fee rebooking. "Better," or perhaps more instant customer service when calling. "Better" IrrOps handling. And GUCs, those are pretty valuable; but only applicable to Diamond. Otherwise, not a lot of extra value.
Exactly - I don't keep track of all my stats like many on FT, but this year I have bought a lot FC seats when I thought I would most likely not be upgraded. As it turned out, when I got to the gate and looked at the board, it usually said zero seats available. I think if I had always bought Y seats this year, my upgrade percentage would be under 50%
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
But, that's not any funnnnnn!! You're missing out on the "game" of . . . .Will I get the UG - - or won't I?
Checking every evening at the time when the UG window passes to see if it cleared!
If it doesn't, checking the UG list every 10 minutes all day before departure!
Will Shena rear her ugly head, so I can post it on FlyerTalk?
UG's don't clear, so, then, you can come here to bit$ch about it!
See, paying takes the fun out of it!!!
Very true
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by walterh
You know it's now going to be 33/34, right?
I'm actually already sweating my next flight, so I may have clinched it. Not looking to brag or anything, just can't fathom that my experience is so much different from OP's.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Very true
Except when it has nothing to do with it.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Jump
Except when it has nothing to do with it.
Oh come on - it was tongue in cheek - have a laugh - life is good
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL DM; AA EP
I left AA's program a couple of years ago and switched to DL. This is my second year as DM. Sounds like I've had better luck with upgrades. Maybe because I don't live at a Delta hub (DFW), or maybe because I added the Amex Platinum Delta card. Who knows. But my domestic upgrade rate is easily 80%. I travel 3 weeks out of 4, buy the lowest economy fare. Usually clear UG 5 days ahead. Sometimes they clear my first segment in advance and I'm left on UG standby for the second segment, but usually clear that list at the gate. Even though it means more connecting flights, there's no going back to AA for me.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:49 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Just sayin....I am explat on AA and for at least the 2016 program year it will be the current program (changes coming mid year). I have missed exactly 1 upgrade out of 36 since the beginning of the year. Say what you want about AA but my on time % has been great and I am up front every flight (literally just got off a $132 LAX-BOS flight in F at 100 hours out) and happy with the service. Granted it is bound to go away but as a DM you would need to fly 25K LESS than on DL and you would be up front with an "acceptable" meal as bubba correctly put it and with a bigger seat for free. At least for one more program year you have an option..
That's because AA is leaving lots of "money on the table," by not monetizing their first class cabin properly. There is a reason why Delta keeps exceeding shareholder expectations. (I am being a "bit" tongue-in-cheek, I barely follow the financials that closely...)

I have a bunch of OneWorld flights starting with HKG-AMS at the beginning of 2016. But, 2016 is my year of "free agency." I will re-qualify for Delta Diamond some time in October, but this will be my final year.

I really like the concept of being alliance "free" (I'll cheat a bit, and get Flying Blue Platinum aka SkyTeam Elite+ as a designated spouse (of a Platinum) program with AMEX). But otherwise, I much prefer just seeking out my discounted premium class tickets or "buying up" in the USA (especially on Delta). No need to have status when the premium cabins are so accessible. Caveat, of course, is that I'm looking to fly a bit less; and I fly mostly long-haul.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I made the exact same comment earlier this year on a different thread, but since then have been near 100% and even have gotten an OPUP on a TATL (possibly even one coming this week). But FCM has changed the game, and being UG'd on only 4 of 9 B fares for a DM this year is poor. I post 150-250K MQMs each year (like many on this forum) and a DM on a B should be an automatic, maybe within a window. Being #1 on the UG and watching the FC inventory of 5-6 go to 0 in the last 20 minutes prior to boarding while remaining at #1 is very frustrating.

As for AA, completely not impressed. I challenged to Plat last year, made it easily and started collecting their UG credits. This year, both my AA and US accounts merged and I got Plat and due to travel needs have continued to fly them a bit, and again have picked up many more credits. For 2014 and 2015, I have flown over 90 flights with the new AA, with only a few on RJ's. I have had 1 UG and am often in the lower 25% on the UG list. AA Gold is good enough, no expectations that way and I can still have overhead space. Plats on DL I believe have a much better UG%. As for on time %, yes all airlines have issues, but if I arrive home (RDU) within an hour of plan, I'll call it on time, AA meets that low bar maybe 50% of the time.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just to point out, the First Class SDC policy I believe adds to the swing of seats a good bit, with people switching last minute. I'll sometimes buy First just because of it. I know some people feel DL shouldn't make a DM pay at all, and that DL should always fly DM in First Class. However that's just not practical or reasonable from a business standpoint. We might all complain, but DL clearly has done it's homework, and knows what people will pay, when they'll pay it, and are running a profitable airline, even excluding recent oil savings. They run an airline that gets people where they need to be, and mostly on-time.

UA is RJ crazy, and even on mainline has far fewer FC seats. AA runs a different program, and what it is now is expected to change once they're done focusing on combing two airlines into one. Jump to AA, but do so realizing that your happiness will probably be short lived. I'm not 100% happy with DL, but domestically, their FC cabins and unlimited upgrades seem to work the vast majority of times for DMs. There will always be routes/times that will be hard to upgrade, but unless you expect DL to install 100% FC seating on a 737 those will happen.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
I made the exact same comment earlier this year on a different thread, but since then have been near 100% and even have gotten an OPUP on a TATL (possibly even one coming this week). But FCM has changed the game, and being UG'd on only 4 of 9 B fares for a DM this year is poor. I post 150-250K MQMs each year (like many on this forum) and a DM on a B should be an automatic, maybe within a window. Being #1 on the UG and watching the FC inventory of 5-6 go to 0 in the last 20 minutes prior to boarding while remaining at #1 is very frustrating.

As for AA, completely not impressed. I challenged to Plat last year, made it easily and started collecting their UG credits. This year, both my AA and US accounts merged and I got Plat and due to travel needs have continued to fly them a bit, and again have picked up many more credits. For 2014 and 2015, I have flown over 90 flights with the new AA, with only a few on RJ's. I have had 1 UG and am often in the lower 25% on the UG list. AA Gold is good enough, no expectations that way and I can still have overhead space. Plats on DL I believe have a much better UG%. As for on time %, yes all airlines have issues, but if I arrive home (RDU) within an hour of plan, I'll call it on time, AA meets that low bar maybe 50% of the time.
Plat on AA is gold on DL. Huge difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.