Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best time to book flights for spring break

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

I cannot find any sources for when the best time to book a flight for spring break is. I can't miss any days of school as my father is strict about those things so that'll have the demand up. And I'd be flying from MKE or MSN so demand is high. And my grandparents would be getting me in either FLL or PBI and they don't want to be getting me past 9 PM or dropping my off when I leave up until 9 AM. Last year I had a $330 ticket which I bought in January and they were forced to pick me up at midnight and they were so pissed about that. It would've costed me an extra $200 or so for them to not pick me up so late if I took an earlier flight. So when would I get a rate around $350 leaving good Friday and come back home the following Friday or a day away from that? And my father books my flights for me and he thinks right now is way too early...

Last edited by MKEflyer95; Sep 22, 2015 at 11:29 am
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I would think the higher the demand time (and spring break might not be the highest demand time, but to where you are wanting to to go it might not be far off) the earlier you buy your tickets the better. Also, given that you seem to have some very specific travel date/time restrictions, I'd purchase the tickets as soon as they are available.

If you are worried that you might miss out on a sale fare, then go with Southwest as they will refund you any price discounts they offer later. But given where you are going (south florida during spring break), I'm going to guess that the few flights on the exact time and dates you want will start filling up and there won't be any real savings on those particular flights. So if you wait you will be left with something like you had last year, expensive flights for the times you want or you go at the times others (and grandparents) don't like.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I would think the higher the demand time (and spring break might not be the highest demand time, but to where you are wanting to to go it might not be far off) the earlier you buy your tickets the better. Also, given that you seem to have some very specific travel date/time restrictions, I'd purchase the tickets as soon as they are available.

If you are worried that you might miss out on a sale fare, then go with Southwest as they will refund you any price discounts they offer later. But given where you are going (south florida during spring break), I'm going to guess that the few flights on the exact time and dates you want will start filling up and there won't be any real savings on those particular flights. So if you wait you will be left with something like you had last year, expensive flights for the times you want or you go at the times others (and grandparents) don't like.
Well I have to fly Delta as of a voucher my dad has. And he doesnt really understand how the earlier you book the better the rate is. And he doesnt want to pay anymore than $350, but due to the voucher that may not be a problem. Right now I found this itinerary that meets my grandparents and my fathers date and timing requirements at $465 should I take it now? I'd be getting to FLL at around 5 PM and leaving at around noon the following week

Last edited by MKEflyer95; Sep 23, 2015 at 6:48 am
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Given you have to use Delta as your airline, I'd suggest asking a moderator to move this thread to the Delta forum as they will know the in/outs of Delta better than here. But I suspect the answer will be purchase now. Anything else is just playing a big game of chance. And as I mentioned, given you want to head down to South Florida during Spring Break, I have to believe you aren't the only one wanting to do that. So most likely the flights will get filled up and that means the prices will probably go up over time, not down.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Since the topic of the thread has zeroed in on Delta travel, I have moved it into the Delta forum for greater exposure.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended

What are your dates?
I remember for example that traveling to Florida over Presidents's Day Week (2/13/16-2/20/16) is extremely expensive and will only cost more the closer to departure. Especially originating in the Northeast. In fact, I believe that Presidents' Day Week is THE most expensive time to fly (not even Thanksgiving comes close to PDW).
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
OP - make sure your dad checks the voucher rules. Delta vouchers are not usually transferable unless the voucher holder is traveling with you.

As to when to book, that's anyones guess. The best advise is to check often, use sites like Kayak or Google flights to help narrow your search and find the best fares. When you find a price that is reasonable for you book it.

I would suggest signing up for Kayak price alerts for your trip. They also have a fare predictor tool that may help you make your decision.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What are your dates?
I remember for example that traveling to Florida over Presidents's Day Week (2/13/16-2/20/16) is extremely expensive and will only cost more the closer to departure. Especially originating in the Northeast. In fact, I believe that Presidents' Day Week is THE most expensive time to fly (not even Thanksgiving comes close to PDW).
My dates are from 03/25/2016 until 04/01/2016. I'd much rather come back on the 3rd but I'm forgetting that as that'll be $300 more at least if I came back on the 3rd. Also I don't mind this being a multi-city trip like ORD-FLL one way and PBI-MSN the other way for example.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Have a look at your dates clicking on "flexible days" - - you get a calendar showing a grid of dates over a period of a week or so each way - - and you'll see that MKE-FLL is under $350 if you leave and return one day earlier (3/24 to 3/31).

Whether 3/25 to 4/1 will ever come down from the mid-$400s is an open question - - but chances are it won't - - chances are those specific dates already reflect current demand. Have your dad look at the calendar so that he can see that the $450ish airfare does not represent a general high fare, but something date specific.

If you want to play with it more, get the prices each way on your dates for each of the 9 city pairs: MKE/MSN/ORD to FLL/MIA/PBI and by dividing the fares by half, see if mixing any two city pairs to create an 'open jaw' bring the cost down appreciably.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I fly MKETPA a lot. A lot. Take the flight. I have never gotten a good deal around Spring Break. DL knows when spring break is and prices accordingly. They are usually high from the beginning and very rarely go down--like never. Last year I paid around $450 give or take.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I fly MKETPA a lot. A lot.
Yeah I'm going late February and it was closer to $240. Spring Break can get way out of hand if you don't pounce.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TTT
OP - make sure your dad checks the voucher rules. Delta vouchers are not usually transferable unless the voucher holder is traveling with you.

As to when to book, that's anyones guess. The best advise is to check often, use sites like Kayak or Google flights to help narrow your search and find the best fares. When you find a price that is reasonable for you book it.

I would suggest signing up for Kayak price alerts for your trip. They also have a fare predictor tool that may help you make your decision.
+1

And $465 for the exact days/times you want on a specific airline during an in-demand travel period doesn't seem that bad.

Here's a story - A big group of friends is going to Europe for one friend's wedding. People started buying tickets 9 months in advance. Most people had their tickets by 4-6 months out when prices dipped a bit. A couple waited and hit a fare war and saved a couple hundred bucks 3 months out.

But one guy was convinced he could get an awesome deal if he just waited long enough and found some kind of crazy routing. He'd seen fares for like $500 to Europe and just KNEW he could get one of those.

Our entire group will be heading to Europe starting this weekend, leaving on various days over the next week. Guess who won't be at the wedding, because TATL fares never came back down?

If you see a fare that looks reasonable, buy it and don't look back. If you can time airfare well enough to hit the low points every time, you might want to try your hand at the stock market.

Last edited by gooselee; Sep 24, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
+1

And $465 for the exact days/times you want on a specific airline during an in-demand travel period doesn't seem that bad.

Here's a story - A big group of friends is going to Europe for one friend's wedding. People started buying tickets 9 months in advance. Most people had their tickets by 4-6 months out when prices dipped a bit. A couple waited and hit a fare war and saved a couple hundred bucks 3 months out.

But one guy was convinced he could get an awesome deal if he just waited long enough and found some kind of crazy routing. He'd seen fares for like $500 to Europe and just KNEW he could get one of those.

Our entire group will be heading to Europe starting this weekend, leaving on various days over the next week. Guess who won't be at the wedding, because TATL fares never came back down?

If you see a fare that looks reasonable, buy it and don't look back. If you can time airfare well enough to hit the low points every time, you might want to try your hand at the stock market.
My dad is alright if I skip one day of school maximum and if I leave that Thursday early in the morning and come back the following Thursday it's only about $400. Connecting in LGA seems cheaper than connecting in like MSP or DTW probably due to the conjested space.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Okay so my dad thinks booking right now is way too early and he thinks we should be one and a half to two months in advance. Is he being crazy or is it just me?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
Okay so my dad thinks booking right now is way too early and he thinks we should be one and a half to two months in advance. Is he being crazy or is it just me?
In this case, he's probably crazy. That logic may very well be true for a "normal" business travel-type week, but fares are not going to come down much (if at all) and more likely will skyrocket as the dates get closer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.