Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Also, how does AA refusing to pay make DL the cheap airline?
Sure, whatever. If you keep repeating to yourself enough that the sky is green, sure the sky is green.

DL's own PR here shows that DL is paying to AA 5x less than AA is paying to DL. AA is paying to DL 5x more, as DL itself states (presuming the payment is proportional to the pax flown, and as it is based on each unique case, it should be approx. so). DL is obviously doing all it can to avoid reaccommodating its pax on other airlines (hence its 5x lesser payment to AA than from AA to DL), instead leaving them stranded for longer (sometimes days) and forcing them to fly out on DL much later (just like the low-cost carriers do, which DL seems to be wishing to become). It would be interesting to see for how many more hours longer are DL pax stranded in irrops, due to DL's poor handling of that by doing all it can to avoid accommodating pax on other airlines, than AA pax, where pax are readily accommodated on other airlines in case of need, as DL's own PR shows.

If you really believe what you are saying, despite it making no sense whatsoever, wow, then really you should hold back on the kool aid for a while.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by javabytes
You're basing this on what... first hand knowledge? Or speculation like everybody else?
DL released this to their agent:

"Thanks to stellar operational performance, Delta customers enjoy an industry-leading experience. However, the industry agreement was no longer beneficial to both carriers. In July, for example, American sent passengers to Delta for reaccommodation at a five-to-one ratio."

and bragged about how much on time they are so i suppose they are losing money from AA sending pax to DL, ticket should be relatively cheap
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by channa
These are seats that are on open flights, usually departing within the next couple of hours. They were not likely to sell, and if they were or suspected as they would, DL could decline the rebooking when contacted. And they do do that -- e.g., decline taking people on a flight if the earlier one hasn't departed on a mechanical for example.

No doubt this is going to be a hit for DL, as this is lost incremental revenue on a perishable product. In fact, it is likely a bigger hit for DL than AA, since DL likely receives more AA rebooks than they rebook on AA.

I suspect that DL is holding out for a more favorable rate since the deck is favoring them. They'd rather pay AA more for each rebook in return for getting more from AA for each rebook.
AGAIN, DL language suggest that they lose money and do NOT benefit from agreement when AA send lots people to DL

"Thanks to stellar operational performance, Delta customers enjoy an industry-leading experience. However, the industry agreement was no longer beneficial to both carriers. In July, for example, American sent passengers to Delta for reaccommodation at a five-to-one ratio."

https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...greement-.html
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Sure, whatever. If you keep repeating to yourself enough that the sky is green, sure the sky is green.

DL's own PR here shows that DL is paying to AA 5x less than AA is paying to DL. AA is paying to DL 5x more, as DL itself states (presuming the payment is proportional to the pax flown, and as it is based on each unique case, it should be approx. so). DL is obviously doing all it can to avoid reaccommodating its pax on other airlines (hence its 5x lesser payment to AA than from AA to DL), instead leaving them stranded for longer (sometimes days) and forcing them to fly out on DL much later (just like the low-cost carriers do, which DL seems to be wishing to become). It would be interesting to see for how many more hours longer are DL pax stranded in irrops, due to DL's poor handling of that by doing all it can to avoid accommodating pax on other airlines, than AA pax, where pax are readily accommodated on other airlines in case of need, as DL's own PR shows.

If you really believe what you are saying, despite it making no sense whatsoever, wow, then really you should hold back on the kool aid for a while.
these contracted fare or the agreement itself may mean that it is rather cheap for one airline to rebook on another regardless of what the previous post said agent saw price at $1,990

the airline may not actually make that big of a payment at all with the agreement and internal revenue
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Felixishim
AGAIN, DL language suggest that they lose money and do NOT benefit from agreement when AA send lots people to DL
It does NOT suggest they were losing money. It suggests that AA takes more advantage of the discounting on DL than DL does on AA.

If anything, it suggests that DL does not want to discount as much for AA. One can speculate that DL wanted higher rates, and AA didn't comply, so they terminated the agreements.

If anything, with AA sending a much higher ratio of pax to DL, it would suggest that next week, DL is on the losing end of this because they're losing rebooked pax at a higher rate than DL
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Exactly. From my experience, having flown about equal DL, AA and UA over the last 1~2 years, DL has - by far - the worst reliability and on-time track record. Now, mind you, that is just my own personal experience based on my travel patterns.

While other airlines will readily rebook you on others, DL will always find some reason to block it and would rather delay you 24 or even 48 hours to fly on DL, vs. allow you to go on even another SkyTeam airline flight. Other airlines, in the meanwhile, will readily rebook you on another airline, in or out of their alliance, even if you're a nobody; but at DL, even a DM will get the short end of the stick.

So, these figures to me just show how very cheap DL is and how DL treats its pax so much worse in case of irrops than other airlines do: while AA will readily rebook its pax on DL when things go wrong, when things go wrong at DL (and it so happens a lot), DL will fight tooth and nails and resist rebooking pax on any other airline, and thus of course the proportions will be like this. But, that just shows how very cheap DL is and how badly DL treats its pax, that's all - combining these supposed "stats" with my own experience across DL, AA and UA and observations.
I fly from HNL many times a year (my second home) and I fly all three carriers every week from my main base LAS. You must be on another airline than DL making these claims. I find this 100% false in my travels with DL. In fact - 1000% false if you are talking about Delta Airlines based in Atlanta GA, USA. You are FALSE!

Aloha! ^
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Felixishim
these contracted fare or the agreement itself may mean that it is rather cheap for one airline to rebook on another regardless of what the previous post said agent saw price at $1,990

the airline may not actually make that big of a payment at all with the agreement and internal revenue
That may be so. I just know when UA has rebooked me on DL, the DL receipt showed that UA had paid the full F fare for the DL flight (and I was just on an award ticket on UA, with some 20+ same day options on UA comparable to my original flight, but I asked for the direct DL flight and got it no questions asked - I never expected UA to do it for me as a nobody, when DL will adamantly refuse to do it for its DMs flying in J), and it also showed so earning wise on DL. So, if the amount that is exchanged is as show on receipt, then other airlines appear to (at least sometimes, if not always) pay to DL the full walk-up last minute fare (i.e. full F or J or Y fare), esp. if they are giving you the very last seat on the DL flight, as was the case then for me.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
I fly from HNL many times a year (my second home) and I fly all three carriers every week from my main base LAS. You must be on another airline than DL making these claims. I find this 100% false in my travels with DL. In fact - 1000% false if you are talking about Delta Airlines based in Atlanta GA, USA. You are FALSE!

Aloha! ^
You must be flying then another airline and not Delta Air_Lines, with its nearly ancient fleet of poorly maintained 757s that go mechanical on a rather frequent basis.

Glad to hear that it's working out for you. (I suspect that you are flying AS or AA or HA instead of DL.)
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
How do inter line agreements work with code shares? Would you still be able to get a BA codeshare operated by AA?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Melodsal
How do inter line agreements work with code shares? Would you still be able to get a BA codeshare operated by AA?
Why not?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
That may be so. I just know when UA has rebooked me on DL, the DL receipt showed that UA had paid the full F fare for the DL flight (and I was just on an award ticket on UA, with some 20+ same day options on UA comparable to my original flight, but I asked for the direct DL flight and got it no questions asked - I never expected UA to do it for me as a nobody, when DL will adamantly refuse to do it for its DMs flying in J), and it also showed so earning wise on DL. So, if the amount that is exchanged is as show on receipt, then other airlines appear to (at least sometimes, if not always) pay to DL the full walk-up last minute fare (i.e. full F or J or Y fare), esp. if they are giving you the very last seat on the DL flight, as was the case then for me.
They absolutely do NOT pay each other the full walk-up fare when doing involuntary reroutes if there is an interline agreement in place, no matter what your ticket shows. That's the whole basis for this tiff. In these agreements, the airlines agree on a settlement rate that is far from the full walk-up fare.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
You must be flying then another airline and not Delta Air_Lines, with its nearly ancient fleet of poorly maintained 757s that go mechanical on a rather frequent basis.

Glad to hear that it's working out for you. (I suspect that you are flying AS or AA or HA instead of DL.)
You are incorrect. I sometimes fly HA nonstop to LAS.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
They absolutely do NOT pay each other the full walk-up fare when doing involuntary reroutes if there is an interline agreement in place, no matter what your ticket shows. That's the whole basis for this tiff. In these agreements, the airlines agree on a settlement rate that is far from the full walk-up fare.
Of course, and that is what I'd expect. Based on the reports in this thread, many times the receipt does show a discounted fare, but other times it shows a full/higher fare. It being so would seem to imply that the fare shown on the receipt is the fare exchanged (as it is often deep discount), not likely directly paid. But of course that is all just guessing here with no inside info, so what anyone says here is just a guess at best.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
You are incorrect. I sometimes fly HA nonstop to LAS.
Well I did say that may be you fly HA. To LAS that is the only non-stop after all.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Why not?
If we can still be rebooked on code shares I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Couldn't we just ask to be booked on the same AA flight marketed by BA or AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.