Diamond Vs. Diamond

Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Diamond Vs. Diamond

Question: and if this has been answered before my apologies. I am a freshly minted Diamond Medallion on Delta. I was wondering on the upgrade list, when it comes down to diamonds competing for upgrades, what is the tie breaker? is it fare paid? Total YTD MQMs? Just curious. Or is a diamond a diamond? I know my upgrade percentage will go up a bit from Platinum, but just didn't know how the diamonds were ranked.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Question: and if this has been answered before my apologies. I am a freshly minted Diamond Medallion on Delta. I was wondering on the upgrade list, when it comes down to diamonds competing for upgrades, what is the tie breaker? is it fare paid? Total YTD MQMs? Just curious. Or is a diamond a diamond? I know my upgrade percentage will go up a bit from Platinum, but just didn't know how the diamonds were ranked.

Thanks!
Fare class will be your primary tie breaker. After that, I believe it is whether or not one holds a Delta Reserve credit card.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Here's a precise list except that it neglects the role of the DL Reserve credit card. I think that follows after the other listed criteria.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Here's a precise list except that it neglects the role of the DL Reserve credit card. I think that follows after the other listed criteria.

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Diamond vs Diamond . . . .

Awwww, I'm really disappointed. I thought there was a fight in F over the last Woodford on board!!

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 3, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

The AMEX Reserve card is neglected for a reason. There is no place for it with the tie-breaker being time of request...unless perhaps in the event two people requested upgrades at the exact same milli-second.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
The AMEX Reserve card is neglected for a reason. There is no place for it with the tie-breaker being time of request...unless perhaps in the event two people requested upgrades at the exact same milli-second.
My understanding is that the Reserve card upgrade priority tie-breaker comes after fare class, but before time of request. The AMEX Reserve card T&C's mentions "Upgrade Priority within the same Medallion tier and fare class". It would indeed be pretty much pointless if it came after time of request.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
My understanding is that the Reserve card upgrade priority tie-breaker comes after fare class, but before time of request. The AMEX Reserve card T&C's mentions "Upgrade Priority within the same Medallion tier and fare class". It would indeed be pretty much pointless if it came after time of request.
Correct.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jeet
Correct.
I understand that's what you want it to be, but DL doesn't have any reference to using it as a tie-breaker. Nor are they willing to put it in writing, even when asked.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:45 pm

I understand that's what you want it to be, but DL doesn't have any reference to using it as a tie-breaker. Nor are they willing to put it in writing, even when asked.
Except I have seen this happen.

Colleague and I, both are diamond and booked in the same fare class. He booked before me but I have the reserve.

At the gate my name was above his in the upgrade list.

Cheers,
J

Last edited by jeet; Sep 3, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by jeet
Except I have seen this happen.

Colleague and I, both are diamond and in booked in the the same fare class. He booked before me but I have the reserve.

At the gate my name was above his in the upgrade list.

Cheers,
J
In a post several months ago I mentioned that I had done the same thing on two separate occasions, specifically as a test, with a co-worker and I had exactly the opposite experience from you.
Co-worker had Reserve card and booked exact same ticket for exact same fare one minute after me. On first occasion, I was upgraded at 5-day window, but he wasn't. On the next occasion, we were both upgraded at gate, but I was in front of him on upgrade list.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:19 pm

In a post several months ago I mentioned that I had done the same thing on two separate occasions, specifically as a test, with a co-worker and I had exactly the opposite experience from you.
Co-worker had Reserve card and booked exact same ticket for exact same fare one minute after me. On first occasion, I was upgraded at 5-day window, but he wasn't. On the next occasion, we were both upgraded at gate, but I was in front of him on upgrade list.
Hmm... That's interesting. I do remember reading here few months ago that there was a bug in the software which processed medallion upgrades. That could have been a factor.
(IIRC this IT bug was fixed 2-3 months ago)

Are you sure your co-worker is primary account holder on the reserve card?

-J
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
My experience is that the AMEX priority always comes after the fare class. As someone pointed out it would be pointless if it did not. I too have personal experience that it works that way.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
what percent of DM's do you think have reserve cards?

what percent of PM's?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Just curious, is the reserve card only useful to DM's and 360's then? If a PM gets it, will s/he observe a difference in his/her UG position?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.