Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change frequent flyer program after Global Upgrade applied

Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: O6*G, Delta Silver, Air Berlin Silver, Marriott Gold, A|Club Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum

I was able to apply my four Global Upgrades on two transpacific roundtrips. The first of which is departing this week. However since this year's SkyMiles move to revenue-based redeemable miles, I have been crediting my flying to Alaska instead. I'm wondering if it's possible to change my frequent flyer number on the reservations from my Delta Diamond to Alaska MVP 75k at the gate and still keep the global upgrades intact?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Make sure the ticket is reissued first so the receipt shows O/OP class instead of your original booking class. If you can check in then you should be safe at that point from not getting kicked to the back... however remember that if there is any kind of MX or WX disruption you won't get DM handling since the system will see you as an AS pax.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thunder007
I was able to apply my four Global Upgrades on two transpacific roundtrips. The first of which is departing this week. However since this year's SkyMiles move to revenue-based redeemable miles, I have been crediting my flying to Alaska instead. I'm wondering if it's possible to change my frequent flyer number on the reservations from my Delta Diamond to Alaska MVP 75k at the gate and still keep the global upgrades intact?

Any advice appreciated.
No it needs a SkyMiles Number attached. The agents know this trick and even with comp upgrades know to take away the upgrade. Besides GUCS require the elite member who earned them to fly. Taking away the skymiles number means you're not really a SkyMiles DM for that flight and thus not entitled to any DM benefits. Simply having it reissued does not stop them from taking it away.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No it needs a SkyMiles Number attached. The agents know this trick and even with comp upgrades know to take away the upgrade. Besides GUCS require the elite member who earned them to fly. Taking away the skymiles number means you're not really a SkyMiles DM for that flight and thus not entitled to any DM benefits. Simply having it reissued does not stop them from taking it away.
This is flat out wrong. Every GUC-upgraded flight I have taken this year on DL I have credited to AS. Once the upgrade is processed, you are free to change your FF# to any partner you like, including AS.

(As further evidence, you can continue to use (unexpired) RUC/GUCs for yourself even if you lose status the subsequent year.)

As a previous poster observed, though, any schedule change or other IRROPS handling will depend on the status you have in the record. I strongly recommend not changing the FF# on your flights until the last possible moment, i.e., just before boarding the first leg. (I heard on my flights two weeks ago that you can now change FF#s for only a portion of the record--it used to be that once any portion of the record was flown, the FF# number was frozen for the remainder--but I have not personally tried this yet.)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
I think if GUC had been applied and all segment were upgraded I'm not too worried about irops because F or J pax already get better treatment then GM I believe.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:06 pm

Sure, but if a significant chunk of the D1 cabin needs to be re-accommodated on other flights (think equipment sub or flight cancellation), a partner elite is going to be way down the list.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They may not have automated it, but by changing to AS you're supposed to lose all DL benefits. DL basically considers you a different person from the Skymiles member when you change.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: O6*G, Delta Silver, Air Berlin Silver, Marriott Gold, A|Club Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum
Thanks very much for the comments. Especially for your detailed advice, Erasmus
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Felixishim
I think if GUC had been applied and all segment were upgraded I'm not too worried about irops because F or J pax already get better treatment then GM I believe.
Think again. If there is an irop your GU is "officially" gone. Read the T&C, it is cleared for THAT flight you have cleared. I have run into this and it was due to a 3 hour Skyteam partner mechanical issue on the previous flight.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Despite reports here of it working, I'd be afraid to try to change the FF number on flights where I care about using the GUC or getting the GUC back if it doesn't work (i.e., it's not close to expiring anyway). IMO worst case scenario would be that the GA agrees to change the number but doesn't tell you that this will cancel the upgrade and you don't get the GUC back either. [IIRC something like this was reported on FT, probably involving a UA SWU.] Maybe I'm just being conservative here, but IMO it is a risk, although it would be reasonable to expect a GA not to do this without asking first. OTOH, if the computer cancels the upgrade automatically, the GA could be surprised when this happens unexpectedly. In this case, I think it could be very difficult to switch back to your DL FF number and get the upgrade back, especially without using another GUC and a ton of time to have it applied and get the ticket reissued once again so that you can make the flight.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Despite reports here of it working, I'd be afraid to try to change the FF number on flights where I care about using the GUC or getting the GUC back if it doesn't work (i.e., it's not close to expiring anyway). IMO worst case scenario would be that the GA agrees to change the number but doesn't tell you that this will cancel the upgrade and you don't get the GUC back either. [IIRC something like this was reported on FT, probably involving a UA SWU.] Maybe I'm just being conservative here, but IMO it is a risk, although it would be reasonable to expect a GA not to do this without asking first. OTOH, if the computer cancels the upgrade automatically, the GA could be surprised when this happens unexpectedly. In this case, I think it could be very difficult to switch back to your DL FF number and get the upgrade back, especially without using another GUC and a ton of time to have it applied and get the ticket reissued once again so that you can make the flight.
Why all the FUD about the computer automatically canceling GUC upgrades? It does not happen! The only requirement for RUC/GUC is the name on the account to which the cert was issued matches the passenger's name (although even this can be forced--not to another pax, but if there was a name change in the interim). There is no requirement that the pax currently have status, or be using a DL FF#.

I think people are confusing miles/GUC upgrades (which are supported by an instrument that has rules about how and when it can be applied, but do not depend on the status of the pax), and complimentary Medallion upgrades, which do.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Think again. If there is an irop your GU is "officially" gone. Read the T&C, it is cleared for THAT flight you have cleared. I have run into this and it was due to a 3 hour Skyteam partner mechanical issue on the previous flight.
HUCA. I've had 100% success over the years keeping my PMU/SWU/GUC-supported (pick your time period) upgrade when re-accommodated on another Delta flight due to IRROPS. Unlike AA, however, your upgrade will generally not stick if they book you on another carrier (although I've occasionally had success there, too, but that's certainly not the rule.)

I suspect, however, such consideration depends mightily on status, and is precisely the reason to keep your DM number in as long as possible.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Understood. As I said, I'm being conservative here, but I would ask myself whether the perhaps small risk losing the upgrade (and probably the GUC too) is worth the benefit of crediting miles to AS rather than DL. Requesting that the GA change the FF account does draw attention to what one is trying to do and could cause risks (just like the free EC/C+ seats after status has expired or for companions after splitting the PNR to get an upgrade) of not getting or losing the upgrade on the inbound/return flights if this is a RT. I definitely wouldn't try this for gate upgrades where the ticket hasn't yet been reissued. Otherwise, if the GUC is expiring soon, why not, but one should IMO at least recognize that there are risks involved.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
HUCA. I've had 100% success over the years keeping my PMU/SWU/GUC-supported (pick your time period) upgrade when re-accommodated on another Delta flight due to IRROPS. Unlike AA, however, your upgrade will generally not stick if they book you on another carrier (although I've occasionally had success there, too, but that's certainly not the rule.)

I suspect, however, such consideration depends mightily on status, and is precisely the reason to keep your DM number in as long as possible.
My experience this spring with being rebooked in IROPs (bad MX delay on DL domestic flight connecting to DL TPAC) is that I was rebooked into business class on KE but some other routings would not have had me in business class. This was using an old SWU on an M fare as a DM. The agent had no problem with working with me to find a routing where I would not sit in coach on any segment and seemed to expect/understand that of course I would want/expect this.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Understood. As I said, I'm being conservative here, but I would ask myself whether the perhaps small risk losing the upgrade (and probably the GUC too) is worth the benefit of crediting miles to AS rather than DL.
I don't understand what risk you perceive--especially with regard to losing the cert. If the upgraded flight(s) was(were) not flown, you get the cert back, simple as that. Just a few weeks ago I had a misconnect involving a GUC-upgraded DL flight. While using my AS number. DL rebooked me on another carrier (w/o upgrade, but I upgraded myself using the other airline's miles) and returned the GUC. No issues whatsoever.

Requesting that the GA change the FF account does draw attention to what one is trying to do and could cause risks (just like the free EC/C+ seats after status has expired or for companions after splitting the PNR to get an upgrade) of not getting or losing the upgrade on the inbound/return flights if this is a RT.
These are not comparable situations. What you describe above is strictly against the rules, and you are "getting away with something" and trying to remain under the radar. YMMV. There is nothing wrong/not allowed/dubious about using your own GUCs regardless of your status or FF program.

I definitely wouldn't try this for gate upgrades where the ticket hasn't yet been reissued.
Agreed. I have no idea what it would do to your position on the waitlist. As you and I have discussed on a prior thread, I suspect it would drop you below everyone else as DL typically orders things by status and they're likely (still listed as) DMs. Once a ticket is reissued into confirmed OP/RP/whatever class, though, you are good to go.

Last edited by Erasmus; Sep 1, 2015 at 11:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.