Search

Same day lounge access rule

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: SU Gold, A3 Gold
Same day lounge access rule

Hi,
What is the current "same day" lounge access policy by Delta for international connections? Is it strictly same day only or 24 hours?

I've got two transfers in NYC:

1. International arrival at about 17.00 at JFK, internal departure next morning at 7.30 from Newark. Will it be possible to use the lounge at EWR?

2. Overnight flight LAX - JFK, then international departure from JFK. Is it possible to use the lounge in LAX the previous evening?

All tickets are separate.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not with separate tickets. In this case, for the purpose of lounge access as a SkyTeam ElitePlus (I assume), you have exactly two international itineraries:

1. XXX-JFK

2. JFK-XXX

where I assume that these are flights operated/marketed by SkyTeam members. If the above assumptions are correct, you can use the lounge before these flights.

The separate domestic tickets EWR-YYY and LAX-JFK are just that--domestic tickets--and aren't eligible for lounge access. However, there is an exception for the LAX-JFK ticket if it's the nonstop and confirmed in business class or IIRC full Y or ....... You need to check the rules for lounge access for the JFK nonstop transcon flights to be sure whether SkyTeam ElitePlus on your fare class (IF NONSTOP TRANSCON TO JFK) are eligible.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
Is a flight booked with Delta and with a Delta flight number but operated by Virgin Atlantic (ATL - MAN) regarded as a "Skyteam" flight for the purposes of lounge access?

SkyTeam Elite Plus® (including Delta Diamond, Platinum or Gold Medallion® Members) traveling in any cabin on a SkyTeam international flight* or a SkyTeam domestic flight connecting to/from a same-day international flight
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Slow learner
Is a flight booked with Delta and with a Delta flight number but operated by Virgin Atlantic (ATL - MAN) regarded as a "Skyteam" flight for the purposes of lounge access?
NO, no Virgin airline is a member of SkyTeam, although VA and VS have individual bilateral partnerships with DL and IIRC both have JVs with DL.

The bilateral agreements cover lounge access, not SkyTeam rules. IIRC coach passengers who are PM or DM get lounge access, but this might apply to only one of the Virgins.

On second thought, with a DL flight number, I'm not so sure. For the purposes of lounge access using other reasons, such as the AmEx Plat card, the rule has always been that the flight must be DL operated. What does the * footnote say in the text you posted? Is there any footnote on the page defining what is a SkyTeam flight?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
PM and DM passengers flying between the US and the UK on DL or VS get same day lounge access to Sky Clubs or VS Clubhouse lounges in the US and UK; GM only gets the access in the US.

The details are on both the DL SkyClub page and on the delta.com page about the DL-VS partnership.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
PM and DM passengers flying between the US and the UK on DL or VS get same day lounge access to Sky Clubs or VS Clubhouse lounges in the US and UK; GM only gets the access in the US.

The details are on both the DL SkyClub page and on the delta.com page about the DL-VS partnership.
So are you saying that if a GM is traveling in coach to the UK RT on DL (with DL marketed and DL operated on DL ticket stock) that the person gets no lounge access at LHR? I would assume that in this case, VS has nothing to do with anything and the SkyTeam rules apply, so that they would have access to any DL or SkyTeam partner operated (departure?) lounge. [I'm not sure whether the DL arrivals lounge at LHR is only for those in D1/business class or not. I'm also not sure whether the SkyTeam lounge at LHR is considered a contract lounge or not. However, a routing USA-AMS/CDG-UK should be no different than USA-AMS-CDG-EU, assuming that all flights are SkyTeam, meaning not VS.]
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So are you saying that if a GM is traveling in coach to the UK RT on DL (with DL marketed and DL operated on DL ticket stock) that the person gets no lounge access at LHR? I would assume that in this case, VS has nothing to do with anything and the SkyTeam rules apply, so that they would have access to any DL or SkyTeam partner operated (departure?) lounge. [I'm not sure whether the DL arrivals lounge at LHR is only for those in D1/business class or not. I'm also not sure whether the SkyTeam lounge at LHR is considered a contract lounge or not. However, a routing USA-AMS/CDG-UK should be no different than USA-AMS-CDG-EU, assuming that all flights are SkyTeam, meaning not VS.]
The T&C of the DL/VS partnership says that GMs do not have access to the VS Clubhouse in LHR but "may enjoy the No. 1 Traveller Lounge" in Terminal 3. That seems ambiguous to me, especially since that lounge is not listed on the SC page on delta.com. That could just be a suggestion that a GM can pay to use the #1 lounge. GM can still use the T4 ST lounge but that doesn't help if they are flying out of T3.

The last time I flew VS to LHR I had access to the VS arrivals lounge. I was traveling in PE, not Upper Class. I have some recollection of reading something since then on FT about a DL arrivals lounge in Terminal 3, but it is not listed on the SkyClub page. The VS arrivals lounge was small but pleasant and under occupied, with showers and an a la carte breakfast menu. I assume a GM would not have access to the VS arrival lounge since they don't have other VS lounge access in the UK.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
... I have some recollection of reading something since then on FT about a DL arrivals lounge in Terminal 3, but it is not listed on the SkyClub page. ...

see here re DL LHR T3 Arrivals lounge
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
FYI The T3 DL arrivals lounge is the old Air Canada arrivals lounge.

Note if you arrive at T3 you can still use the T4 "arrivals lounge" ie the 2hrs free Yotel access. They have lists of DL flights landing at both terminals. Of course it's a pain to go between terminals, but worth it of you have a few hours in London to kill between flights. If you book a premium room they'll give you an extra hour for the 2hrs DL gives on a standard room or of course 2hrs extra if in a standard.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:44 pm

Thanks! It's interesting to note that the DL T3 arrivals lounge is limited to PM and DM, like the VS lounges in LHR. Do DL flyers have a choice between the VS and the DL arrivals lounge or does it depend on which airline operated the flight you've just flown?

Does anyone have info on DL arrival and departure lounge access in MAN? I may fly into there instead of LHR for a long distance walk in England this fall.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Aug 29, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:27 pm

As a DL DM arriving into T4 on D1, I went over to T3 to use the DL arrivals lounge for a shower, snack, and internet. In my case, I didn't think that I would have immediate access to my hotel room, so this made sense although I realize that I could have used the T4 Yotel instead.

Before my flight I got an email from DL outlining the premium services at LHR. It was very useful as it had links with information on how to get between terminals, how to find the Yotel, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thanks! It's interesting to note that the DL T3 arrivals lounge is limited to PM and DM, like the VS lounges in LHR.

The link says Delta One passengers can use it.

Delta One™ passengers, as well as Diamond and Platinum Medallion® members can ...
Also the VS revivals lounge can be used by UC passengers whatever their FF status but a non status pax arriving on DL won't be admitted - they would have to use the DL lounge.

Sorry if I've mis understood your post though,
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum; former CO Gold; HHonors Gold
The T&C of the DL/VS partnership says that GMs do not have access to the VS Clubhouse in LHR but "may enjoy the No. 1 Traveller Lounge" in Terminal 3. That seems ambiguous to me, especially since that lounge is not listed on the SC page on delta.com. That could just be a suggestion that a GM can pay to use the #1 lounge....
As a GM you can use the No. 1 lounge at no cost.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The link says Delta One passengers can use it.

Also the VS revivals lounge can be used by UC passengers whatever their FF status but a non status pax arriving on DL won't be admitted - they would have to use the DL lounge.

Sorry if I've mis understood your post though,
I think he was pointing out that GM don't get access only DM and PM. Of course Delta ONE get access.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Checking in from Skyclub in LAX. I have a thru ticket LAX-JFK-NRT with a red eye flight LAX-JFK. I was allowed to access lounge as PM at LAX even though Int'l travel is not technically same day. Fare class is V. So if OP had a single ticket, access should be permitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.