Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Canceling cancellations not just for Delta mainline

Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Endeavor Air accomplished something no other regional carrier has.

It set—by a long shot—a regional industry record of more than 42 consecutive days of 100 percent completion factor, signaling an operational performance turnaround at Delta’s single wholly-owned regional airline.

For just shy of 1,030 hours during the busiest month of the summer schedule, Endeavor canceled zero flights as a result of maintenance, crew-related issues or other reasons under the carrier’s control. The regional carrier only canceled flights as a result of circumstances beyond its control such as air traffic control restrictions, inclement weather or when slot-constrained airports like those in New York dictate a reduced arrival rate, for example.
FULL ARTICLE: http://news.delta.com/canceling-canc...delta-mainline

Impressive! ^
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Yes, impressive. However, take the functional meaning of the cancellation percentage with a grain of salt. For example, I was booked on a short Delta mainline flight that apparently developed a mechanical issue and that initially was pushed back from a 6:30 am departure to a 2 pm departure. It eventually left at 7:30 pm, so with a 13 h delay. They might as well have cancelled it as people were rebooked on other flights that left earlier.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Yes, impressive. However, take the functional meaning of the cancellation percentage with a grain of salt. For example, I was booked on a short Delta mainline flight that apparently developed a mechanical issue and that initially was pushed back from a 6:30 am departure to a 2 pm departure. It eventually left at 7:30 pm, so with a 13 h delay. They might as well have cancelled it as people were rebooked on other flights that left earlier.
Did you re-book onto another flt? The same thing has happened to me.

The one thing I give DL credit for is being proactive on re-booking. Perhaps it is because I am Diamond, but I have not been let down on that front.

DL has saved me many times, unlike UA and AA on similar situations.

^ to Endeavor Air and DL. Keep up the good work. As a Diamond, DL usually has found a way around long delays for me, before I even know there is a problem. I sure do not choose DL for their Skymiles program (I like it, for myself - it works / my family not so much) , but it is the little things that DL does on mainly domestic flts that make it a win-win for me and my family overall.

I just thought it was something to bring forward on FT, that the other major USA carriers can not say the same thing. DL also uses SkyWest that is not making the same claim. Others as well.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Yes, impressive. However, take the functional meaning of the cancellation percentage with a grain of salt.
Not to mention the giant loophole so big you can drive an A380 through it: issues outside of the carrier's control. While mainline is subject to the same "outside issues", recovery is far better there.

That is, when bad weather screws up LGA, it's always my connection-operated flight that gets canceled, and usually not the mainline operated routes.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah they start wacking the smaller/regional flights first since they take up slots for takeoff/land and preserve the remaining slots for the larger aircraft with more pax.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
While I agree with you, I believe the DOT still considers it a "completion" if the flight operates within 24 hours of scheduled departure.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
9E seems to run a decent operation. I have yet to be screwed over by them. OTOH, I'm shocked when I'm flying EV and they actually come in on time. It almost never happens. They are terrible.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: DL
I love complaining about my favorite regional operator GoJet. CR7s and a LGA hub.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.