Delta Hurricane season 2015

Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Delta Hurricane season 2015

Its been a quiet few years.
It figures that I am supposed to fly out of PBI on Monday with Erika lurking nearby. It looks like it will miss us, but I suspect that there will still be travel issues.
Does anyone know Delta's updated rules/guidelines on flying when there is a nearby Tropical Storm?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...orm-erika.html

Since PBI isn't mentioned, regular change/cancel policies are in effect
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
It's too far out for Florida cities to be included on the waiver. Usually it's about 48-72 hours before predicted landfall that waivers are issued.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
And Hawaii is in the sights for Ignacio...which even if Delta doesn't issue a waiver, has made me seriously consider making me cancel my trip. I'd rather eat the change fee than sit in my (high season priced) hotel room watching it rain .
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:06 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
And Hawaii is in the sights for Ignacio...which even if Delta doesn't issue a waiver, has made me seriously consider making me cancel my trip. I'd rather eat the change fee than sit in my (high season priced) hotel room watching it rain .
Woah whaaaaaat?????

Heading to Maui next week! IS there a storm on the horizon????
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
It figures that I am supposed to fly out of PBI on Monday with Erika lurking nearby. It looks like it will miss us, but I suspect that there will still be travel issues.
Does anyone know Delta's updated rules/guidelines on flying when there is a nearby Tropical Storm?
I'm in the same situation, I'm flying LGA-PBI Saturday morning and back Monday night. I can't cancel or reschedule without a waiver and even if DL issues one, it may not be before my outbound.

I'm just going to pack some extra clothes in case I get stuck in Florida a bit longer than planned and hope for the best.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Wouldn't the rules for a tropical storm or hurricane be the same as the rules for a blizzard or other weather event? What matters is that weather disrupts airline and/or airport operations and is generally predictable to a limited extent and somewhat localized.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
Woah whaaaaaat?????

Heading to Maui next week! IS there a storm on the horizon????

There are actually two in the area. TS Kilo and Hurricane Ignacio. Then there's Jimena behind Ignacio.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/cphc/
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
I'm having the same issue, my SO and I are flying out Monday morning, FLL-DTW-Asia, and we secured GUCs for our upgrades and I don't want to lose our upper deck seats. Anyone knows the policy for travel disruption and whether we would get rebooked in business or hope for an upgrade @ the gate, if we are rebooked. We called the Diamond line a few times and we get mixed messages, one agent said there has to be upgrade space, the other said she would reaccommodate in the class of service. Anyone knows what the policy is?

I keep hoping that TS Erika moves farther east, so that we can keep my flights, because the 747 on Sunday is almost sold out and has no seats on the upper deck.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer some of the issues raised:

1. There is no policy or rule. DL may choose to issue a WX waiver and will likely do so if it appears that its operations will be affected directly. But, until it does, the t&c of the ticket's fare rules continue to apply. Thus, change fee (if non-flex) + fare difference.

2. Yes, DL will try to rebook GUC's into F/J as the case may be. But, in WX-related IRROPS, there will be many disrupted pax. Those with paid J for the TPAC would be due a refund if DG to Y, and they will likely be accommodated in J first. If there are no seats to be had, you either wait for space or take what there is in Y (and your GUC is returned).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by Often1
To answer some of the issues raised:

1. There is no policy or rule. DL may choose to issue a WX waiver and will likely do so if it appears that its operations will be affected directly. But, until it does, the t&c of the ticket's fare rules continue to apply. Thus, change fee (if non-flex) + fare difference.

2. Yes, DL will try to rebook GUC's into F/J as the case may be. But, in WX-related IRROPS, there will be many disrupted pax. Those with paid J for the TPAC would be due a refund if DG to Y, and they will likely be accommodated in J first. If there are no seats to be had, you either wait for space or take what there is in Y (and your GUC is returned).
Gotcha, Thanks. The disruptions is in FLL, not in DTW, so I don't foresee many disrupted J travellers, unless there are many coming from South Florida.

Last edited by WesTraveller; Aug 27, 2015 at 11:29 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
There are actually two in the area. TS Kilo and Hurricane Ignacio. Then there's Jimena behind Ignacio.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/cphc/
Yikes! Crossing my fingers here that they miss HI!

Flying there next Wednesday!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
Yikes! Crossing my fingers here that they miss HI!

Flying there next Wednesday!
For your sake (and all the residents) I hope so. I cancelled my hotel. Now just waiting to see if a waiver comes. The weather forecast for Oahu was just too ugly.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
If Erika holds together in the next 24 hours then it is pretty good chance she will be impacting South FL.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
4:00pm advisory today has the middle of the cone of uncertainty for Erika riding up the Florida east coast as a weak hurricane on Monday. Would be as proactive as possible with rebooking once a weather waiver is called because while this could be a messy one:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...large#contents

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.