Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL diverted to Macon 31 July 2015 - Lord of the Flies-ish

DL diverted to Macon 31 July 2015 - Lord of the Flies-ish

Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
I have no idea why it took so long for the flight plan and paperwork to go through because that's on the airline. As far as filing a flight plan, I can do that and clear an aircraft in less than a minute. However, I do know that if they blame a "delay" on ATC, it doesn't count as being "late" so a lot of the time you'll hear "ATC delay" and it is nothing of the sort. I was sitting on the CSG sector for a while and the MCN controller was constantly trying to get aircraft off MCN and to ATL, but some aircraft (I think like 3 diverted there) couldn't depart for a little while. Diverts get priority in an event like this and we try to do everything possible to get crew time limited aircraft even more priority (example: flight from Brazil or wherever diverting to say CSG and they only have a hour and a half left of eligible flight time).
Sounds like delta MX blamed on something else ATC lets reboot a few times and see if error goes away. Like a PC. Lol.

OP glad you and your son made it to ATL safe and sound and got home without said keys.

Yikes. This is definitely a lesson for all of us travelers including me. Never know when/where you might get stuck, stranded, abandoned, left in the hot summer night. So be prepared for anything. At all times.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Thanks. Did she wait for the buses? I'm curious as to whether leaving early was the right move. My bag hasn't been delivered, but is apparently back in ATL.
She had a friend drive down from ATL to get her. "One of the lucky ones" she said.

Really interested to see what kind of compensation will be thrown your way.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by sethb
And your car is still at the airport so you have to go there anyway?
My car *was* at the the airport, but I used my spare keys yesterday and had my wife drive me down there (just under 40 miles) yesterday to pick it up. Unbeknownst to me, but my bag was being delivered to the claim area about the same time, but I didn't find that out until I got home and checked online. Doh! Supposed to be delivered here today.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire
She had a friend drive down from ATL to get her. "One of the lucky ones" she said.

Really interested to see what kind of compensation will be thrown your way.
17,500 Skymiles. Not sure what I should expect. Would really like some MQMs!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kettle1
I agree. Your car, keys and bag(s) are at the ATL airport.

Who checks their car keys, (meds not in this case) in checked bags? WOW!

KETTLE MOVE!
So dumb! I put them in the roller bag on the outbound (when I didn't check) out of habit (since I normally never check). Hopefully I won't need to change that habit since I won't be checking again....
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
So dumb! I put them in the roller bag on the outbound (when I didn't check) out of habit (since I normally never check). Hopefully I won't need to change that habit since I won't be checking again....
FWIW I have re-purposed one of those international C class amenity kit bags into a holder for all my valuable/critical items.

In most cases it stays in my carry on, but I can quickly get it out if things change. Works well.

Also, considering where you were stuck, would "Lord of the Gnats" not be a better subtitle to the thread :-)
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
FWIW I have re-purposed one of those international C class amenity kit bags into a holder for all my valuable/critical items.

In most cases it stays in my carry on, but I can quickly get it out if things change. Works well.

Also, considering where you were stuck, would "Lord of the Gnats" not be a better subtitle to the thread :-)
Great suggestion. I have something that contains similar stuff, including passport if I lose my driver's license (another bad experience), backup contacts, etc.

You are the first to comment on the Lord of the Flies reference - good point! The way people were reacting was very interesting - ranging from helpful/cooperative to accusatory, and worse. We were in FC (paid for once) and my son suggested that should mean we would be first on the buses (if they showed). I told him that I did NOT want to make that point, especially given we were in great shape compared to the family with the infant, the diabetic and the several families on their way home to the Netherlands.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:50 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
I had a flight from EWR to BDL on the 23rd of December a few years ago that was delayed 4 hours till midnight then canceled, UA said there were going to try and get buses cause all flights were oversold for the next day. After waiting around a while they said the bus would not arrive till 7am and there were no hotel rooms available, thats when I was a soda came flying at the gate agents as well as a few other objects. Police coming running in and I decided at the point to call a friend and catch my own ride. I understand your frustration OP seems like you and the other passengers handled very well. Good job and hope you get a positive outcome.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
I had a flight from EWR to BDL on the 23rd of December a few years ago that was delayed 4 hours till midnight then canceled, UA said there were going to try and get buses cause all flights were oversold for the next day. After waiting around a while they said the bus would not arrive till 7am and there were no hotel rooms available, thats when I was a soda came flying at the gate agents as well as a few other objects. Police coming running in and I decided at the point to call a friend and catch my own ride. I understand your frustration OP seems like you and the other passengers handled very well. Good job and hope you get a positive outcome.
The idea of a bus from EWR to BDL sounds pretty bad, but then again it was UA......
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
17,500 Skymiles. Not sure what I should expect. Would really like some MQMs!
I've never heard of MQMs being given in compensation.

Was your actual flight longer or shorter than your purchased flight? (Watch them give MQMs only to the diversion airport.)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I had an adventure like this circa 1993; was flying LAX-DFW-DCA on the last trip of the day (we left LAX around 3:00 pm). As I remember, the DFW-LAX leg was on a 757. About 45 minutes out of DFW we get the word from the captain that DFW was forced to close due to severe thunderstorms. Of all the airports we could have used for the diversion (ELP, MAF, AUS, SAT, OKC), we ended up at Wichita Falls (SPS), which consisted of a 13,000 foot runway (shared with Sheppard Air Force Base) and a really tiny cinder block building which served the Rio Airways propeller planes that was the Delta connection in those days).

There were no jetways or airstairs at SPS, so we couldn't get off the plane; the one airport attendant who was there had to get out a ladder for the pilots to be able to get down to the ground to inspect the aircraft.

There were telephones on airplanes at the time (I don't think I owned a cell phone in 1993). Because of the storms the circuits were overwhelmed so I couldn't call home, and my wife went into a panic.

The movie of the month on Delta at the time was "Groundhog Day". The FAs, not knowing what else to do, played it twice while we were on the ground at SPS, which turned out to be about 5 hours. We were supposed to arrive at DFW around 9 pm; we ended up getting there at around 3 am.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:33 am

I occasionally used to put my keys in my roller bag instead of my laptop bag. I didn't think much about it because the roller bag was with me. My home airport is only served by regional jets so most rollers get gate checked. Flying home one time, I gate checked the bag as usual, with my keys inside. The plane lands and I'm waiting for my bag at the end of the jet bridge. It never comes out. Somehow it got mixed in with the other checked bags. Eventually it showed up at baggage claim. Since then I've always kept my keys with me.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by spd476
I occasionally used to put my keys in my roller bag instead of my laptop bag. I didn't think much about it because the roller bag was with me. My home airport is only served by regional jets so most rollers get gate checked. Flying home one time, I gate checked the bag as usual, with my keys inside. The plane lands and I'm waiting for my bag at the end of the jet bridge. It never comes out. Somehow it got mixed in with the other checked bags. Eventually it showed up at baggage claim. Since then I've always kept my keys with me.
I learned not to do that (fortunately, I hadn't) when a baggage elevator at MSP froze shut with a load of bags in it. There was over an hour wait for gate-checked bags, and PMNW wasn't being at all nice about holding connections or guaranteeing to forward bags.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
  1. always charge your phone when you can, even if you aren't low;
Or have a few charged up external battery chargers in your bag.

... including passport if I lose my driver's license (another bad experience)
Been there. My license never comes out of my wallet at the airport. It's too easy to not put it back, shove it in a pocket and find it's not there later. I use my passport, which may be more expensive to replace, but no rental car counter will deny you a car because you lost your passport. My GA card is a third back-up, and it's in my computer bag in case I lose the passport and my wallet. I lost my license once in Vegas, and while I was able to get on the plane, I could not rent a car nor check into a hotel at my next destination, SF. Fortunately, there was a Club Quarters, where you check in via kiosk and don't need your license, so I was able to stay there and take a cab to my customer site the next morning.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by mridley2
I don't understand the logic in landing in Macon. Surely there was a better airport within 100 miles that had more adequate facilities to handle 150 PAX.

And of all the flights inbound to ATL at 7pm on a Friday yours was the only one to get diverted??? Talk about unlucky. Geez.
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
Your options are CSG, MCN, and CHA within 100 miles of ATL. As someone who was working flights (ATC) yesterday, there were a lot more diverted than just CrazyEddie's. At one point, there was somewhere between 80-100 holding in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina to try and get into Atlanta and somewhere between 120-140 waiting to depart Atlanta during the microburst alerts.
My flight was also diverted Friday evening during the popup storms, but we went to AGS. I don't think the facilities are a concern because DL generally doesn't deplane passengers in this situation. The only reason OP deplaned was because of the mechanical. They did eventually let some passengers, including my seatmate, deplane via the rear steps if they wanted to get off at AGS, but there was no option to deplane and then reboard.

I was lucky though. I missed my ATL-ORF connection, but I was able to get on the last flight of the night from the standby list. I think I was the last person to clear before boarding, and about 4 passengers were brought on before the door closed and seated in the remaining empty seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.