Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Vienna to Amsterdam on KLM using Skymiles

Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Need some help understanding the process of booking an award flight on KLM using Skymiles.

I'm in the process of planning a European vacation next fall and would like to consider to possibility of traveling between Vienna and Amsterdam on KLM using Skymiles.

It looks to be possible, correct? I've read in a few places that it can be challenging finding availability?

Also, is my best bet finding the flight on KLMs site and then calling Delta to complete the reservation?

Also, how many points can I expect to pay? From what I can tell it looks to be 12,500 per person, one way.

Sorry for all of the questions, looking forward to confirmation (hopefully) that this is all correct, or suggestions on how to best do this.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:40 pm

I believe one-way DL award tickets within Europe start at 15,000 miles plus a surcharge of about 74 Euros per ticket. There are a few exceptions to this but they aren't relevant to the route you wish to fly. You should be able to select your desired award flights via Delta.com without having to call Delta directly. It is often not recommended to redeem SkyMiles within Europe as it doesn't usually represent the best value since flights within Europe tend to be relatively inexpensive. While I don't know the dates you are traveling, you may want to look at the cost of purchasing a ticket between VIE and AMS. Consider pricing out a round trip and throwing away the return leg if you don't need it as it will probably be cheaper than purchasing a one-way.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Moving this thread to the Delta Airlines & Skymiles forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
Air France/KLM co-moderator
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
If you want to fly inside Europe on skymiles, just price it out on delta.com, there really are no secret tricks here, other than it probably won't make sense to use skymiles instead of cash. So get the cash price on google flights and don't forget to check out the euro low cost carriers, too.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Almost NEVER makes sense. Just buy the ticket.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
I flew this route a few weeks ago connecting from BOS-AMS. I was able to find lots of one way availability for a total price of 62.5k miles for two tickets for BOS-AMS-VIE.

Per your post above it seems you just want intra-europe but if you are connecting from the US within 24 hours I think you will be able to find low level availability on the AMS-VIE leg. It might not be as easy on the USA-AMS leg given all the changes including possible married segment rules now in effect.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The only carriers that fly non-stop are KLM ($212 OW) and Austrian ($615 OW). Just buy the KLM tix.

I checked this out for myself for Sunday 9/20. I also checked it for Monday 9/21 and thee are less expensive flights but all involve multiple stops and LONG hours. Not worth it IMO. PWM would be cheaper.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:23 am

you can fly transavia to rotterdam or easyjet to amsterdam from Vienna for about 60 Euros ow in fall
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Almost NEVER makes sense. Just buy the ticket.
This.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.