Search

FCM head scratcher..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:10 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I thought SDC's to transcontinental D1 wasn't permitted by the rules?
I do this all the time. ^^

My original post was really just in shock that delta would allow a F seat to go for 4.3x less than what it was being sold for. I understand that I still paid more for what should be a DM perk, but with the vicious cycle of FCM, someone else was going to buy up if I didn't. Especially at that price point.

And I'd rather spend 45 mins on a CRJ with a short connection and 5 hours in a lie flat, than 5 hours on a 737-800. Plus the extra MQMs
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
SDC from a connection to a nonstop isn't allowed. SDC from one connection to a different connection is allowed (if the routing is legal).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:54 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Why on earth would any serious business person that values their time add 3 hours minimum to a 4.5 hour trip?
You're not a lawyer or consultant who bills for travel time and then works on other client matters on the flight thereby double billing at the rate of X hundred dollars per hour...

I'm not endorsing this. But, I would have no trouble billing Client A for the tine on the nonstop and then switching to the D1 flight and getting some work done for other clients.

Airplane time is productive time for me. It's time away from the phone and an excuse to ignore my email and I usually find D1 time to be very productive time.

Needless to say, I find time in the office very unproductive with too many distractions and interruptions. I'm in a thinking profession where time to work through an issue uninterrupted is very valuable to me.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
There is a well known "loophole" people have been using for some time now. You can't go from JFK-MSP-LAX to JFK-LAX but you can go from BOS-LAX to BOS-JFK-LAX using SDC.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I seriously knew upgrades to D1 were an issue....I could never envision flying so far out of my way on such a relatively short flight for a product like D1 I value my time at $XXX per hour. Every hour I take out of my time is worth that amount. Fascinating.
Not everyone is as important as you

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 29, 2015 at 9:38 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CDKing
Not everyone is ... you
< channeling a lot of DL FTers >
but ... but ... but I'm the sine qua non of the DL FT universe ...
< /channeling >

Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
I seriously knew upgrades to D1 were an issue....I could never envision flying so far out of my way on such a relatively short flight for a product like D1 I value my time at $XXX per hour. Every hour I take out of my time is worth that amount. Fascinating.
I think this is the real head scratcher here. How much of that $XXX time have you spent contributing over a thousand posts to Flyertalk. Some would say going out of one's way for a longer flight in a conformable seat would be just as much a waste of time as spending hundreds of hours on an Internet forum.

To the one who enjoys Internet forums, obviousely wasting hours at $XXX rate is a good investment of time.

To the one who enjoys flying, the D1 service might be a good investment of time.

To each his own. I just love the irony of the "wasteful of valuable time" comment, on an Internet forum, which provided exactly zero substance to the conversation.

We all have hobbies. To some us on FT, a love of flying is likely one of them. It's not always just about getting from point A to B as QUICKLY as possible.

Last edited by scracer14; Jul 29, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by houserulz77

Quite frankly, if one is a proud member of the WFBF crowd, with no need for any special benefits (like GASP an upgrade earned through status), it would seem that spending so much time on this forum would be the big waste of time.

It amazes me that with all the time you have spent on FT, all the posts, all the threads, you don't seem to get that there are a lot of folks on here that genuinely enjoy the strategizing; and more importantly, the flying.
Can't boast about spent time on FT, many posts and even shiny DM #bragtag, but I certainly get that also there are some folks here that genuinely enjoy trolling, showing off and being DYKWIA. An integral part of FT!
Deal with it.
Bubba, keep posting!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Am I missing something for the opportunity to buy up? I'd love to find a deal like that! Instead, I'm only ever offered an option to buy up into Comfy+. What am I missing?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by naranjero
Can't boast about spent time on FT, many posts and even shiny DM #bragtag, but I certainly get that also there are some folks here that genuinely enjoy trolling, showing off and being DYKWIA. An integral part of FT!
Deal with it.
Bubba, keep posting!
He's welcome to post; I'm welcome to respond. Obviously the same goes for you.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by scracer14
I think this is the real head scratcher here. How much of that $XXX time have you spent contributing over a thousand posts to Flyertalk. Some would say going out of one's way for a longer flight in a conformable seat would be just as much a waste of time as spending hundreds of hours on an Internet forum.

To the one who enjoys Internet forums, obviousely wasting hours at $XXX rate is a good investment of time.

To the one who enjoys flying, the D1 service might be a good investment of time.

To each his own. I just love the irony of the "wasteful of valuable time" comment, on an Internet forum, which provided exactly zero substance to the conversation.

We all have hobbies. To some us on FT, a love of flying is likely one of them. It's not always just about getting from point A to B as QUICKLY as possible.
So, it's gaming? Gaming for something that one is normally not entitled to or something they can't afford?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mahka42
Am I missing something for the opportunity to buy up? I'd love to find a deal like that! Instead, I'm only ever offered an option to buy up into Comfy+. What am I missing?
Sometimes it's offered, sometimes not. It depends on the route, date, and when you look. I don't know whether it depends on the phase of the moon or the barometric pressure.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, it's gaming? Gaming for something that one is normally not entitled to or something they can't afford?
Is a medallion "normally entitled to" an upgrade? I'd say not. Is there anything wrong with doing an SDC to a flight with a better chance of getting a free upgrade? Delta doesn't think so.

Is that "gaming"?

Does anyone care?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Isn't that what FCM is all about? Getting something one normally would not pay for, or potentially cannot afford?

Noting there is a difference in "cannot afford" and "would not pay that price for"

Which back on topic, is what the thread is all about, DL selling FC fares at a market set price through FCM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.