Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by javabytes
Indeed. If upgrade pricing is more than an entire low level award ticket used to be, what's going to happen to award pricing?
Oh, you know what's going to happen. DL has been headed this same direction for a long time. They'll keep some awards, like domestic at 25k for low, but jack up most everything else.

Variable=Whatever we think we can get. I wouldn't be surprised to read reports of 7 digit award quotes.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM360, Aeroplan SE
[QUOTE=AAerSTL;25116914][Bolding mine]

This is also very poorly written and confusing:

Other transcontinental flights, including New York-JFK to Los Angeles or San Francisco will continue to not be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades.

[Bolding mine]

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...d-updates.html

Hopefully just worrying unnecessarily but... because RUCs can now be used for JFK-LAX/SFO upgrades, does this mean to imply Diamonds are no longer entitled to their "secret" behind-the-scenes benefit of instrument-less upgrades on that route? Particularly concerned given the current Diamond benefit was referenced as coded as a cert upgrade (now how to differentiate?), and there is no mention on the previous benefit on the Delta site anyway, so effectively no need to communicate a potential "change in policy" This would be a MAJOR negative if so... but hopefully no change on that!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I've been doing this every year for a while now... if your annual spend is high enough, they'll either waive the annual fee or give you a few thousand skymiles (in my experience 20-30K)
I was referring to the attitude expressed in the previous post that I was responding to.

I'm assuming that you are referring to the DL AMEX Card??
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
I was referring to the attitude expressed in the previous post that I was responding to.

I'm assuming that you are referring to the DL AMEX Card??
I am indeed - worth noting that my annual spend has been quite high as it includes all of my work expenses (we self-charge and submit for reimbursement rather than use corporate cards).

I've been successful in getting "annual fees" for "credit cards" like the SPG or Delta cards waived or compensated for in points, but not "membership fees" for "charge cards" like the Preferred Rewards Gold or Platinum Charge Card. Of course, YMMV.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I am indeed - worth noting that my annual spend has been quite high as it includes all of my work expenses (we self-charge and submit for reimbursement rather than use corporate cards).

I've been successful in getting "annual fees" for "credit cards" like the SPG or Delta cards waived or compensated for in points, but not "membership fees" for "charge cards" like the Preferred Rewards Gold or Platinum Charge Card. Of course, YMMV.
What's your average yearly spend? Across my Amexes, I spend about $175k/yr. Maybe I'll call in and see if they will waive a fee.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:03 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Not sure what you are talking about , it's really easy to get a waiver for the platinum (charge card).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Agreed. We knew this day was coming. Variable award pricing should be the story of the day, but PMs and DMs have been distracted by the shiny toy that is RUC improvements.

As far as mileage upgrades, we have no idea how much these will cost, only that they are increasing. There does not seem to be any clarity on whether prices will vary by fare class or other factor. It seems possible that even those who bought expensive Y/B/M fares for international travel will be paying more for their upgrades now too, perhaps paying the same rate as upgrades from K fares.

Edit: Got some very interesting data on SkyMiles upgrades.

Domestic (except JFK-LAX/SFO, Hawaii, etc.):
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

US-Europe:
Y/B/M: 60,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Northern Asia:
Y/B/M: 60,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
Y/B/M: 80,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 115,000 miles

Prices are each way. Sorry, those are the only regions I got. But it's pretty clear: this is a bloodbath.
Oof...60K o/w for Europe in YBM for a 300% increase? At that rate, why bother with YBM unless you need the flexibility? At least the prevoius 20K sort of made sense...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I've been doing this every year for a while now... if your annual spend is high enough, they'll either waive the annual fee or give you a few thousand skymiles (in my experience 20-30K)

Define "annual spend is high enough."

I am at $55k already this year on my DL AMEX Reserve. Is that considered "high"?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Correct - the same day upgrades on transcons for Diamonds are handled in the system like a certificate upgrade, but with no certificate pulled. Heard an agent describe that today.
So if it clears you can SDC into D1?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I wish that Delta would just get it over with and eliminate the program altogether. They've made it clear that SkyMiles is nothing more than an inconvenience to those in charge. The Medallion program is mostly fine, but no one is going to be redeeming 300-400K miles for a TATL J ticket (you know that's coming).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Started a wiki to pull out pertinent info like the new upgrade award pricing.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think we know for sure that DMs using RUCs are prioritized on the waitlist above PMs using RUCs. Do you know of a place where this is currently published? In the context of upgrades for longhaul international flights, I've had agents tell me that the waitlist for upgrades in advance of travel depends (only) on time of request.
Its always been Delta's policy to upgrade a DM over a PM when using a similar upgrade medium (miles v. miles - SWU v. SWU - RUC v. RUC etc). So essentially, 99% of the time, a Diamond trumps a Platinum.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:59 pm

Just used up the last for my miles on 2 J tickets from Europe-MKE for next June after reading this. Still was able to get them for 62.5 each
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Started a wiki to pull out pertinent info like the new upgrade award pricing.
Thanks -- but since there's no official source, should this be marked as [Unconfirmed]?

These upgrade award amounts are simply outrageous; hard to believe they are for one-way travel.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I'm waiting for a slew of threads, or perhaps even some sort of master thread, for new credit card options. I plan on taking a big trip with my wife next April or May, and almost have enough miles to burn for two J tickets. But now I'm tempted more than ever to just make GM again this year instead of having a nice rollover, do a status match to AS and credit all my skymiles there. However, whatever I spend on my Amex is going to accrue SMs; even though I don't spend tens and tends of thousands like most people here, it would be nice to figure out now what card(s) to look at to best accrue and utilize points/miles.

Last edited by brocklee9000; Jul 14, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.