Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I can confirm that the domestic non-premium pricing listed in the wiki is current. Rather bad deal if you ask me.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott/Hilton Gold
A data point for your consideration. I called and confirmed that:
LAX>JFK on U is 30,000
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can probably buy-up to F on the US non-premium and caribbean routes for less than the mileage upgrade rates.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hertz Pres, National Exec, IHG Amb, SPG/Marriott Gold
Got on the upgrade waitlist using my miles for an upcoming ATL-BCN flight (H fare). Can confirm the rate is still 60k miles. There are two seats available but of course not RP/UP. Is there any pattern to when the waitlist clears? T-72/24 hours or is it random? Should I be holding off on checking-in early to maximize my chances?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there are only 2 seats left, then they aren't going to open up any upgrade space and its possible those may sell out. Any upgrades will end up going to the gate... and the other issue is that mileage upgrades don't officially get transferred to the gate upgrade list. Even then, you'd be behind and DMs trying to use an upgrade cert.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Evert time I see this thread resurrected, I hold my breath until I see whether new gloom has been posted.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:28 am

Thanks for the quick response rylan. The flight is this weekend so I am holding my breath on them selling out last minute. As far as inventory going to the gate, does that happen on an international flight? I haven't heard of DL offering paid upgrades at the gate and comp upgrades of course are not applicable. Hoping there are no DMs going to Barcelona this weekend. 😀

Originally Posted by rylan
If there are only 2 seats left, then they aren't going to open up any upgrade space and its possible those may sell out. Any upgrades will end up going to the gate... and the other issue is that mileage upgrades don't officially get transferred to the gate upgrade list. Even then, you'd be behind and DMs trying to use an upgrade cert.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Punjabi
Thanks for the quick response rylan. The flight is this weekend so I am holding my breath on them selling out last minute. As far as inventory going to the gate, does that happen on an international flight? I haven't heard of DL offering paid upgrades at the gate and comp upgrades of course are not applicable. Hoping there are no DMs going to Barcelona this weekend. ��
With only 2 seats left for sale, you should fully expect that no upgrades are processed between now and the gate. The bad news for you is that mileage upgrade requests do not get transferred to the airport upgrade list. So unless you clear in advance, and you almost certainly won't, you'll be riding in coach. Unless you can find some DL employee willing to bend the rules and force you onto the airport upgrade list (which has happened sporadically, if you search threads here).
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Punjabi
Thanks for the quick response rylan. The flight is this weekend so I am holding my breath on them selling out last minute. As far as inventory going to the gate, does that happen on an international flight? I haven't heard of DL offering paid upgrades at the gate and comp upgrades of course are not applicable. Hoping there are no DMs going to Barcelona this weekend. ��
If you are flying on Sat, DL114 ATL-BCN is showing J0 for inventory with 5 unassigned seats. On Sun, it is J2 with 2 unassigned.

Your biggest issue will be getting your mileage upgrade request to go to the upgrade list at the airport, as there is no official or automatic method to do this. I suggest checking in online and then calling or sending a tweet to delta and ask that your waitlist for mileage upgrade be transfered/activated on the airport list. Otherwise I'd bet that if you just check in normally and thats it, you won't have an upgrade request or be on the list.

Normally for international you need to be a DM using an upgrade certificate to be on the upgrade list at the gate for any remaining seats.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by rylan
If you are flying on Sat, DL114 ATL-BCN is showing J0 for inventory with 5 unassigned seats. On Sun, it is J2 with 2 unassigned.

Your biggest issue will be getting your mileage upgrade request to go to the upgrade list at the airport, as there is no official or automatic method to do this. I suggest checking in online and then calling or sending a tweet to delta and ask that your waitlist for mileage upgrade be transfered/activated on the airport list. Otherwise I'd bet that if you just check in normally and thats it, you won't have an upgrade request or be on the list.

Normally for international you need to be a DM using an upgrade certificate to be on the upgrade list at the gate for any remaining seats.
It is the Sun flight indeed. Excellent advice on calling up after check-in. Will try that and report back in for future reference. Thanks again!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:10 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
How do mileage upgrades work for multiple segment trips? For example -- I know this is an unlikely route to clear, but best example I can come up with for my question -- if one wanted to use miles to upgrade on JFK-LAX-SYD, is it in theory just the one US-South Pacific amount of miles, if you did somehow find availability? And can you waitlist segment-by-segment or do both segments need to be available for it to clear? If one segment clears and the other segment clears later do you have to pay twice?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
How do mileage upgrades work for multiple segment trips? For example -- I know this is an unlikely route to clear, but best example I can come up with for my question -- if one wanted to use miles to upgrade on JFK-LAX-SYD, is it in theory just the one US-South Pacific amount of miles, if you did somehow find availability? And can you waitlist segment-by-segment or do both segments need to be available for it to clear? If one segment clears and the other segment clears later do you have to pay twice?
DL awards cover one fare component. Thus as long as JFK-LAX-SYD is one fare component then you just need one mileage award. As long as its booked as different flight numbers you can clear separately for each flight. No additional fee if the other then clears.

If however you book DL41 then it would need to clear the whole way. In this case while it's two different planes, its a direct flight number, thus its like one flight the whole way.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:48 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL awards cover one fare component. Thus as long as JFK-LAX-SYD is one fare component then you just need one mileage award. As long as its booked as different flight numbers you can clear separately for each flight. No additional fee if the other then clears.

If however you book DL41 then it would need to clear the whole way. In this case while it's two different planes, its a direct flight number, thus its like one flight the whole way.
Thanks, makes sense.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Hey folks,

I found a great Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy (G) fare LAX-LHR-LAX in October. I booked it as a DL codeshare and the upgrade to Upper Class is 20k SM each way. Of course no availability at the moment.

Unfortunately I can't waitlist, but is there a way to use expertflyer or award nexus to set an alert if it becomes available? If not, are there any indicators on the DL or VS website if I have to manually check each day?

TIA

Last edited by anc-ord772; Aug 10, 2017 at 5:44 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:54 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Hey folks,

I found a great Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy (G) fare LAX-LHR-LAX in October. I booked it as a DL codeshare and the upgrade to Upper Class is 20k SM each way. Of course no availability at the moment.

Unfortunately I can't waitlist, but is there a way to use expertflyer or award nexus to set an alert if it becomes available? If not, are there any indicators on the DL or VS website if I have to manually check each day?

TIA
Yes, if you set an alert in ExpertFlyer for the flights you want on the VS flight number for fare class G, that should do it, though no guarantees whether the systems will be working to actually process the upgrade if/when it becomes available. (On the VS code G is Upper Class; on the DL code G is Premium Economy.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.