Wiki Posts
Search

Miles for major flight delay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AS, UA, HH, MR, Nat. Car
Miles for major flight delay?

After a 6+ hour delay for mechanical issues and a 90+ minute delay as the pilot timed out I got a notification that Delta is giving me 12500 bonus miles. Is this a common amount for all the hassle we are going through or should I ask for more?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'd say that's about standard. I haven't ever been successful in asking for more miles, I just get a canned re-apology. But you can try.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Another vote for about right. In fact it's even on the higher side.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:36 am

I've gotten 7.5K and 10K in similar situations
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I got 10K for a 7 hour delay and subsequent cancellation the summer of 2013, seems like they bumped their figures up.

Plus, with their new award scheme, 12,500 is actually worth much more than it was, say, a year ago.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
I got 10K for a 7 hour delay and subsequent cancellation the summer of 2013, seems like they bumped their figures up.

Plus, with their new award scheme, 12,500 is actually worth much more than it was, say, a year ago.
Really? How do you figure that miles are worth more now than they were previously? Assuming that one can find "low" availability, prices for RT TATL or TPAC BE/D1 RT award tickets have gone up by 20,000-25,000 miles.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
OP might try a search on 'compensation, mechanical' if he needs more examples to be satisfied or emboldened to ask for more. There's a big compensation thread.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I recently got 2500 for a just-short-of four hour delay, due to mechanical. Your delay was twice as long, but, or course, the delay becomes exponentially more frustrating the longer it goes on. Five times the number of points for twice the delay seems within reason.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really? How do you figure that miles are worth more now than they were previously? Assuming that one can find "low" availability, prices for RT TATL or TPAC BE/D1 RT award tickets have gone up by 20,000-25,000 miles.
I just booked a RT domestic coach award for 25k that was pricing at ~$700 cash (and which I would have paid as it was an essential trip and other airlines were pricing the same).

I also booked an open-jaw TATL D1 award for 125k each that was pricing at over $10k for the routing I wanted (and which I'd realistically have paid about $5k for a slightly less convenient routing).

I can now book one-way awards to position for fares found in the MR/Good Deals threads.

Perhaps because I'm the one person on FT who seems to be doing well under the new earning/redemption structures, DL seems to never offer me miles as compensation for delays or cancellations...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:36 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really? How do you figure that miles are worth more now than they were previously?
Well, using rough numberz . . . .

A 10,000 MQM round-trip to Europe used to net a DM 22,500 RDMs. Now, at, let's say, $1000 before taxes, a DM gets 11,000 RDMs~.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by gooselee
I just booked a RT domestic coach award for 25k that was pricing at ~$700 cash (and which I would have paid as it was an essential trip and other airlines were pricing the same).

I also booked an open-jaw TATL D1 award for 125k each that was pricing at over $10k for the routing I wanted (and which I'd realistically have paid about $5k for a slightly less convenient routing).

I can now book one-way awards to position for fares found in the MR/Good Deals threads.

Perhaps because I'm the one person on FT who seems to be doing well under the new earning/redemption structures, DL seems to never offer me miles as compensation for delays or cancellations...
I am holding a 140k r/t ATL-Asia Biz Class, which I was able to book on my first try two months out from the trip on a booking with only one plane change, which was the best I have been able to do over the past few years.

I have also been about to find 25k domestic r/t tickets twice since the changes, both of which were obtained within a week of travel. (ATL-SCE and ATL-BUF)

Originally Posted by davetravels

A 10,000 MQM round-trip to Europe used to net a DM 22,500 RDMs. Now, at, let's say, $1000 before taxes, a DM gets 11,000 RDMs~.
It all depends upon your perspective. I used to earn an average of 1125 for my expensive short hops. Now, I'm at close to 2000 for each leg of each trip, up 78% per trip. For us short hoppers on last minute tickets, the points are flowing much faster.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

That's a matter of how much it costs, in money or time, to earn RDMs. Whether the RDMs are worth more or less now is a different question.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by dhb2112
After a 6+ hour delay for mechanical issues and a 90+ minute delay as the pilot timed out I got a notification that Delta is giving me 12500 bonus miles. Is this a common amount for all the hassle we are going through or should I ask for more?
Do you have any other basis for a complaint? If not, be happy with what you got.

Bob H
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Just because you get fewer miles now doesn't mean the ones you get are suddenly worth more.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by javabytes
Just because you get fewer miles now doesn't mean the ones you get are suddenly worth more.
I think what he's saying is that part of "worth" or "value" is in how hard/easy they are to obtain?

For some pax, DL has made the miles harder to obtain, so on the side of getting RDM as compensation for a delay, those RDM are worth more since it would have taken more time/effort/money to obtain them through flying than it did in the past. Sort of like how a t-shirt given for finishing a marathon might be "worth" more to someone than that same t-shirt purchased secondhand at a thrift store.

Of course, the other side of "worth" or "value" is what you can exchange the currency for.

Both sides of the equation are very heavily YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.