Where is my FCM offer?

Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Has anyone ever received a buy-up offer on an award ticket?
Was here looking for the same answer. Per Delta, it won't happen. But who knows! If anyone has experience, I'd love to hear.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Haven't done an award ticket recently, but I did note that I haven't received an offer on a companion ticket purchase which I made a while ago. Flight is still 2 months away so I'll keep checking. Tickets were much cheaper than usual so if an offer came it probably wouldn't be as good as others I have purchased.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Haven't done an award ticket recently, but I did note that I haven't received an offer on a companion ticket purchase which I made a while ago. Flight is still 2 months away so I'll keep checking. Tickets were much cheaper than usual so if an offer came it probably wouldn't be as good as others I have purchased.
As in the Amex Companion Cert? Platinum or Reserve variety?

That could make things interesting...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Sort of - I've gotten one when using Pay With Miles.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Sort of - I've gotten one when using Pay With Miles.
Ahh, yes. I meant a "true" award ticket using the award (N) inventories. Not PWM which comes from YBMSHQKLUTXVE inventory.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National Executive
I have SDF-LGA booked Thanksgiving week (non-stop) which is now on the E170 vs. the E145. FCM is offering me $138.00 round trip, not taking it though. For 657 miles it isn't worth it since there isn't a meal and the E170 is quite comfortable in Y. There are 3 on the itinerary (1DM, 1GM, 1F0) so we probably won't get upgraded as a group because of the FO but you never know.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:41 pm

As in the Amex Companion Cert? Platinum or Reserve variety?

That could make things interesting...
Amex Delta Platinum (with last reserve companion ticket found good deal on FC). They are offering C+, but I'm not buying and hope to find seats at 72hrs. Of course, I'm not eligible for FC upgrade, but I don't think there's a reason they wouldn't try and sell it to me (maybe more reason since waiting won't help me).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex Delta Platinum (with last reserve companion ticket found good deal on FC). They are offering C+, but I'm not buying and hope to find seats at 72hrs. Of course, I'm not eligible for FC upgrade, but I don't think there's a reason they wouldn't try and sell it to me (maybe more reason since waiting won't help me).
Interesting. This makes that cert an even better deal - essentially getting 2 FC tickets for just a little bit more than one FC ticket. Not as good a deal as the Reserve, but also a lower AF on the Amex (putting aside the SC access and extra MQM boosts on the Reserve).

I wonder how RDM/MQM for that flight will post if one were to take that buy-up.

Originally Posted by air1jdg
I have SDF-LGA booked Thanksgiving week (non-stop) which is now on the E170 vs. the E145. FCM is offering me $138.00 round trip, not taking it though. For 657 miles it isn't worth it since there isn't a meal and the E170 is quite comfortable in Y. There are 3 on the itinerary (1DM, 1GM, 1F0) so we probably won't get upgraded as a group because of the FO but you never know.
After check-in, the three of you should appear individually on the UG list per your respective statuses. If you're angling for a medallion UG, inform the GA that you'd all be okay getting upgraded separately.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:23 pm

Interesting. This makes that cert an even better deal - essentially getting 2 FC tickets for just a little bit more than one FC ticket. Not as good a deal as the Reserve, but also a lower AF on the Amex (putting aside the SC access and extra MQM boosts on the Reserve).

I wonder how RDM/MQM for that flight will post if one were to take that buy-up.
I tried to keep my response simple and I think it confused matters. Here's the details and response to the RDM/MQM question.

Earlier this year I used my wife's Reserve certificate to buy two FC tickets for us. Of course I received no credit. She received the usual credit based on the cost of her FC ticket.

I have also purchased, but not flown, tickets for us on my Delta Amex Platinum (only main cabin available). We do have an offer for C+, but no offer for FC (we can't get a free upgrade, but it seems they might want to sell us the upgrade).

If they offered and we purchased the upgrade, I assume my ticket would be "repriced" and I would receive RDM based on the new MQD. In addition, I would receive the 50% bonus MQM. I base this on how the credits were calculated on other upgrades we purchased.

Would she receive anything? I don't know. The rules say the companion is not eligible for mileage accrual. Well 50% of 0 for MQM is 0. They probably haven't dealt with the question of RDM. I would claim that MQD should be earned on the purchase of the upgrade, but we'll cross that bridge if we arrive there.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Just bought a RT ticket MCO-ATL-MCO mid-July at DL.com. Was offered to UG to F for $108. From past experience I noted the offer and then purchased the coach ticket. Went back into the trip to chose seats. No UG offer! In the past there has always been an UG Offer every time I log in and go to the flight. Sometimes it was better than the original offer. Sometimes the same. But now, no offer.

What's up?
Update. Checked the reservation today. FCM was back. $78 RT. Saved $30...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Update. Checked the reservation today. FCM was back. $78 RT. Saved $30...
I have gotten MCO-ATL-MCO for $49.

I took a bump on the return where I was supposed to overnight in ATL, but caught the last flight out in F, and kept the $700 voucher.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to keep my response simple and I think it confused matters. Here's the details and response to the RDM/MQM question.

Earlier this year I used my wife's Reserve certificate to buy two FC tickets for us. Of course I received no credit. She received the usual credit based on the cost of her FC ticket.

I have also purchased, but not flown, tickets for us on my Delta Amex Platinum (only main cabin available). We do have an offer for C+, but no offer for FC (we can't get a free upgrade, but it seems they might want to sell us the upgrade).

If they offered and we purchased the upgrade, I assume my ticket would be "repriced" and I would receive RDM based on the new MQD. In addition, I would receive the 50% bonus MQM. I base this on how the credits were calculated on other upgrades we purchased.

Would she receive anything? I don't know. The rules say the companion is not eligible for mileage accrual. Well 50% of 0 for MQM is 0. They probably haven't dealt with the question of RDM. I would claim that MQD should be earned on the purchase of the upgrade, but we'll cross that bridge if we arrive there.
Ahh..no. It was my confusion and misreading of your very first post on the companion cert topic. For whatever reason, I read is as you DID receive a buy-up offer (for FC) on your purchased-but-not-yet-flown platinum companion ticket. Your OP clearly states that you have not seen one yet.

My brain grows more feeble by the day.

But exactly what you described around MQM/MQD/RDM is where I was - wondering how the companion's ticket would reprice. Perhaps a moot point if the buy-up offers are not given to those on companion certs (or their paid counterparts).

As another data point, I have in the past used the Amex cert and then called into buy-up to F. The price I was given was the difference between the paid ticket and FC fare, and then 100% of the FC fare for the companion. In other words, the Amex cert does not turn into a voucher for the dollar amount of the coach ticket.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I have gotten MCO-ATL-MCO for $49.

I took a bump on the return where I was supposed to overnight in ATL, but caught the last flight out in F, and kept the $700 voucher.
Good for you. The FCM market is quite frustrating. I was prepared to not pay to UG and depend on my status, but decided I needed the flexibility that comes with FCM on this trip.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... I have in the past used the Amex cert and then called into buy-up to F. The price I was given was the difference between the paid ticket and FC fare, and then 100% of the FC fare for the companion. In other words, the Amex cert does not turn into a voucher for the dollar amount of the coach ticket.
not the least of the reasons is that, had someone actually succeeded in doing that, the news would have been all over the DL FT board, and the loophole would have been quickly closed
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
not the least of the reasons is that, had someone actually succeeded in doing that, the news would have been all over the DL FT board, and the loophole would have been quickly closed
However, taking the buy up to FC offer that was made would effectively use the companion cert while getting nothing for it in return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.