Wiki Posts
Search

Striving desperately for 80% paid FC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Sitting in FC (paid FC, FWIW).

Me: Could I have a red wine?

FA: I'm sorry, we are out of red wine... well, actually, we are out of the screw caps. All we have left is the bottles with corks, and they did not give us a cork screw.

Me: I could retrieve a cork screw from my carry-on... Oh, never mind.

Stay classy, VA Ave.
Quote from Wine Enthusiast..."Tim Donahue—enology instructor at Walla Walla Community College, Enology and Viticulture—strongly disagrees with cork usage. “Winemakers will spend years on site selection, soil amendments, clonal selection, canopy design and spray programs,” he says, adding, “They will monitor water stress, leaf pull, fruit thin, measure phenolic data… use a 100% sterile bottling line and bottles, and then, just for the hell of it, shove an old piece of tree bark in the neck of the bottle and hope everything works out.”."
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by misinfobuster
I keep it in my manly toiletry bag (I forget what those are called).
Dopp kit.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Quote from Wine Enthusiast..."Tim Donahue—enology instructor at Walla Walla Community College, Enology and Viticulture—strongly disagrees with cork usage. “Winemakers will spend years on site selection, soil amendments, clonal selection, canopy design and spray programs,” he says, adding, “They will monitor water stress, leaf pull, fruit thin, measure phenolic data… use a 100% sterile bottling line and bottles, and then, just for the hell of it, shove an old piece of tree bark in the neck of the bottle and hope everything works out.”."
I know it would cause a perception issue, but they really should use bag-in-box wine. It is a great packaging solution for young wines served by the glass, and even better where weight is an issue. DL isn't serving expensive wine anytime soon in domestic F (sorry folks, the numbers simply don't work), so it wouldn't necessitate a drop in quality levels.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
some of the bag-in-box wines we have found at retail in both VA and WA are as good as many bottled varieties, and I for one certainly wouldn't complain if they showed up in DL FC (note, however, "some" excludes the low-priced bulk/mass-market products like Almaden and Franzia and Corbett Canyon)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by OHDL1
My post was not focused on the relative merits, quality or pretense, of screw top vs cork... but, rather, the lack of care associated with catering wine with corks, and no corkscrew.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
My post was not focused on the relative merits, quality or pretense, of screw top vs cork... but, rather, the lack of care associated with catering wine with corks, and no corkscrew.
Why not simply put a corkscrew on a strap in the FC galley. It would remain on the AC for ALL flts. Y gets NOTHING!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:01 am

Yes...I understood that...just an interesting quote I read.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm almost surprised that airlines don't stick to screw top wines for domestic FC now that many more wines in the price and quality range served in domestic FC are now being marketed with screw top 750 ml bottles. It would solve the problem of keeping a bottle opener on flights and avoid the problem that sometimes a bottle with a cork can be hard to open.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm almost surprised that airlines don't stick to screw top wines for domestic FC now that many more wines in the price and quality range served in domestic FC are now being marketed with screw top 750 ml bottles. It would solve the problem of keeping a bottle opener on flights and avoid the problem that sometimes a bottle with a cork can be hard to open.
"bottle opener" reminded me of this...

Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
two--They break a lot.

Originally Posted by MS02113
I've carried one of those $0.99, T-shaped plastic corkscrews in my briefcase for years. Only once did it catch a baggage screener's attention, at CDG of all places. Obviously I was willing to part with the corkscrew, but the screener insisted on consulting his supervisor, who allowed me to keep it.

I must have gotten two of them over the years, I forget where. Only questioned once, Why do you have two? and then he answered his own question, They do tend to break a lot. Yeah, that's it, I said.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I know it would cause a perception issue, but they really should use bag-in-box wine. It is a great packaging solution for young wines served by the glass, and even better where weight is an issue. DL isn't serving expensive wine anytime soon in domestic F (sorry folks, the numbers simply don't work), so it wouldn't necessitate a drop in quality levels.
My favorite wine in a box is called Black Box.

The name of the wine may cause a little confusion on the plane. "Have you found the black box?"

"Why yes...and it was bright and smooth."
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Esltroy
My favorite wine in a box is called Black Box.

The name of the wine may cause a little confusion on the plane. "Have you found the black box?"

"Why yes...and it was bright and smooth."
Agreed on Black Box. The Cab is totally drinkable, though not amazing.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
totally drinkable, though not amazing.
This could be the new ad campaign slogan for FC beverage service
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
This could be the new ad campaign slogan for FC beverage service
Or maybe for the general DL customer experience?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Or maybe for the general DL customer experience?
If you think DL is bad, give UA a shot. They are horrible the past few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.