Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Richard Anderson uses July SKY Magazine to complain about ME3.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richard Anderson uses July SKY Magazine to complain about ME3.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by 355F1
Anyone else read the new July issue of SKY magazine yet?

He seriously used his Welcome Page to complain about the "unfair playing field" set forth by the ME3 airlines.

Surprising to see the issue brought up in this way in the company's in-flight magazine for every customer to read, no...??
Link to article in SKY Magazine: http://msp.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vds2015/i7/p0#12
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Fighting the Unwinnable Battle

Regardless of whether the US big 3 are being unfairly trampled by the ME3, the US airlines are unrealistic on their chances for policy change.

1. The public have a general low-opinion of airlines in two respects -- bad service and high ticket prices despite lower oil prices.

(Not saying that Delta is contributing to the bad service perception, or that airline are doing anything wrong in taking advantage of lower oil prices to earn big profits. But it definitely is a perception problem.)

2. DOJ just opened a price-fixing investigation against the big US airline.

(Probably all smoke and no fire, but this again goes to the huge negative perception and trust issues the airlines have.)

In short, RA seems remarkably tone-deaf to think the public (and therefore politicians) care about their competitive problems with the ME3.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
From what I've read about the guy I have significant respect for RA and what he has done with DL. He has taken the airline from a miserable airline with miserable employees
You can't be serious. Can you? How can you possibly say such a thing? The PMDL workgroup was arguably the best in the U.S. They were the only airline that was not busting at the seams with unions. If they were so miserable they would have unionized a long time ago.

Anderson had it easy. Grinstien and Whitehusrt did the hard job of getting DL through bankruptcy and making them profitable again. The employees were not miserable. I traveled with Delta through their entire bankruptcy and I received the same great service as always. DL may have had the substandard frequent flyer program and IT department but their customer service was far better than anything at AA, UA, NW, or US. Their only real competition was Continental when it came to customer service.

Did you forget that Anderson was the CEO of NWA at one time? He left NWA when things got tough and let a new CEO takeover for the heavy lifting of bankruptcy. So please don't make him out to be some super hero. It's not hard to make a profit when you eliminate 50% of your competition through mergers.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:56 pm

Saw That

Originally Posted by 355F1
Anyone else read the new July issue of SKY magazine yet?

He seriously used his Welcome Page to complain about the "unfair playing field" set forth by the ME3 airlines.

Surprising to see the issue brought up in this way in the company's in-flight magazine for every customer to read, no...??
Saw that. It never seems to stop. ....., ....., ..... rather than offering better prices, service, food, drink, and newer aircraft.

But wait, a new worry by Anderson and the other two legacy CEOs--the DOJ thinks that perhaps the three U.S. legacy carriers have been having drinks on the QT and agreeing to limit expanded operations.

Better look at home rather than the Gulf.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
RA could be the best guy in the world, opening his home to homeless vagrants, spending his weekends saving puppies and kittens and baby rabbits...That article was poor form pure and simple.

The ham sandwiches who fly DL are not idiots. They know DL is making record profits and filling airplanes. Whining about the fact that ME3's could have an impact on his annual bonus from his own little soap box is weak. They are scary to him because they actually DO focus on the customer in the FA and CSR disciplines.

Buying, flying and maintaining aircraft is table stakes. Service is the only place to differentiate and it cost money that he would rather pocket. Fair enough but DONT whine about it.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Mr. Anderson's continued arrogance because "America's carriers" can not be dominate in three out of 115 open skies agreements is beyond belief in light of the fact most U.S. commerce groups as well as polls show overwhelming support for the ME3.

I may be just one traveler but the more he, DUI Dougie, and Jeff open their big mouths the more I will go out of my way never set foot on a US carrier for international travel everagain.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:31 pm

feel like the whole point of the article is RA wants us to help him
I'm not exactly sure why he thinks we are on his side; especially, not all the passengers are Americans .....
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
It is not just RA. It is the CEO's from UA and AA as well. RA may be the most vocal about this issue. As I stated above, this was also reported in Hemispheres (UA) magazine last month.

I will not voice my opinion on the issue here. That belongs in Omni.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kettle1
It is not just RA. It is the CEO's from UA and AA as well. RA may be the most vocal about this issue. As I stated above, this was also reported in Hemispheres (UA) magazine last month.

I will not voice my opinion on the issue here. That belongs in Omni.

You are entitled to your opinion or lack thereof but this thread is about an article in the Delta in-flight magazine. No different than a Delta in-flight meal or movie.

If threads about AMS and CDG being horrible airports (I still love AMS) and same sex marriages can be tied to Delta then this thread is as DL forum as it gets..
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
feel like the whole point of the article is RA wants us to help him
I'm not exactly sure why he thinks we are on his side; especially, not all the passengers are Americans .....
This.

All the US carriers have been gouging their passengers with fees, take-backs, less space, and diminished service. This is supposed to endear them to the flying public? We are to take up the cudgels on their behalf to ensure even fewer options?

Put down the crack pipe Dick.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:09 am

Delta would be better off beefing up their mileage program so it is easier to actually get one of those 'free' trips the travelers have earned. I have switched my miles to Alaska Air where at least I can use them often enough to make earning them worthwhile.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I liken Emirates flight attendants to sweat shop workers. On average, starting salary for an Emirates FA is around $1100.00 a month. So, pay your FA's garbage wages with only on average 7 days off a month and you can start forming a picture on how lowly Emirates really is.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I liken Emirates flight attendants to sweat shop workers. On average, starting salary for an Emirates FA is around $1100.00 a month. So, pay your FA's garbage wages with only on average 7 days off a month and you can start forming a picture on how lowly Emirates really is.
They also do not have to pay for a place to live so just posting the salary is a bit deceptive. They are not paid great but with all of the benefits they are probably close to US FA's...and yet they are fantastic with customer service.

EMIRATES FLIGHT ATTENDANT SALARY/BENEFITS

Cash Elements

• Competitive Tax Free Basic Salary – Monthly Starting Salary Dhs 3,915
Your fixed monthly cash payment related to your position and based on the
knowledge and competencies you bring to the role. Salaries are benchmarked for
all employees against relevant Industries and are reviewed on a regular basis to
ensure they remain competitive.

• Company Provided Accommodation
You will be provided shared (same gender) furnished company accommodation,
with allocation of your own individual bedroom.

• Company Provided Transport/Transport Allowance
A free transport service is provided if you are residing in Company Provided
Accommodation. If you opt to reside outside then a Transport Allowance will be
paid on a monthly basis.

• Hourly Flying Pay
On completion of your basic training, an hourly flying pay is paid on the block
hours worked.

• Profit Share Scheme
The Company operates a profit share scheme based upon the profit results of the
Company for the financial year. A qualifying period is applicable.

The eligibility of the following benefit is dependant upon the applicant’s unique
personal circumstances:

• Exchange Rate Protection Scheme
50% of Basic Salary is protected against adverse exchange rate fluctuations
between the UAE Dirham and your currency classification

Non-Cash Elements

• Annual Leave
30 calendar days.

• Leave Tickets
Free annual leave tickets are provided to approved leave destinations for the
employee.

• Personal Life and Accident Insurance

• Medical and Dental Provision
A premium is payable by the employee.

The eligibility of the following benefits is dependant upon the applicant’s unique
personal circumstances:

• Government Pension Scheme
Eligible UAE National and GCC citizens are enrolled into their respective
Government Pension Scheme, employees and Company

Additional Privileges

• Concessional Travel
A range of ticket options are available for staff and their eligible dependants on
Emirates Airline’s routes which now encompasses over 100 destinations. Some
elements of concessionary travel are available immediately upon joining, but
eligibility for others is subject to completion of a probationary period.

• Emirates Card
By virtue of being an Emirates Group employee you can avail of attractive
discounts at over 100 retail, hotel and leisure outlets in Dubai and the UAE.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
And how about VN, TG, GA, SG, KE, OZ, etc? Your advocacy for social justice shouldn't be solely focused on the ME3.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
This.

All the US carriers have been gouging their passengers with fees, take-backs, less space, and diminished service. This is supposed to endear them to the flying public? We are to take up the cudgels on their behalf to ensure even fewer options?

Put down the crack pipe Dick.
dude read carefully !!
I am not on DL side ...
that's why I said not all the passengers are americans and therefore they probably don't feel like they have any obligation to support/assists US company .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.