Wiki Posts
Search

Using Value of Cancelled Delta Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Using Value of Cancelled Delta Ticket

I just cancelled a non-refundable ticket, but can't figure out how to use the value to pay for a new reservation. On the United Web site, you can access your cancelled tickets and change to different flights. But I can't find anything like that on the Delta site when logged in to my Skymiles account.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Check the "My Wallet" section under My Delta - do you have any e-credits listed there?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Nope. Could it take time after cancelling for it to appear?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
Originally Posted by physioprof
Nope. Could it take time after cancelling for it to appear?
Mine took 6 weeks to post to "my wallet".
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tpatta
Mine took 6 weeks to post to "my wallet".
That's ridiculous! When you cancel a United ticket, you can then change it immediately.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Yeepp...check the My Wallet section. Don't know about the cancelled flight, but once when I SDC'ed, the fare difference was $-8 (don't really understand how that happened till date, but the agent was very nice and I got $8 and my preferred flights out of it, so I was happy!!), and the agent put that credit in My Wallet, and I could view it instantly.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Yeepp...check the My Wallet section. Don't know about the cancelled flight, but once when I SDC'ed, the fare difference was $-8 (don't really understand how that happened till date, but the agent was very nice and I got $8 and my preferred flights out of it, so I was happy!!), and the agent put that credit in My Wallet, and I could view it instantly.
Probably a stupid question, but why did your fare change for an SDC? I've never had that happen ever.

Was it just a regular change?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
Be warned that if you apply that credit towards a future flight (even if the credit is only $5-$10), you'll waive the 24h risk free cancellation policy on the new tickets, and they're locked in stone, unless you have a sympathetic agent helping you out.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Be warned that if you apply that credit towards a future flight (even if the credit is only $5-$10), you'll waive the 24h risk free cancellation policy on the new tickets, and they're locked in stone, unless you have a sympathetic agent helping you out.
Thanks for this info. But I could cancel the new tickets and still retain value, paying another change fee to rebook, correct?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:02 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
That's ridiculous! When you cancel a United ticket, you can then change it immediately.
If you have the original ticket number you can use that in the transaction. You can also call Delta to book if it doesn't show up.

I don't know if 6 weeks is normal or not, but if you need to do something now try calling.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
Probably a stupid question, but why did your fare change for an SDC? I've never had that happen ever.

Was it just a regular change?
It is not a stupid question. I was as surprised as you are (a very nice surprise, i.e.)! I was in a discounted First (G) fare, and I SDC'ed from an early morning flight to an afternoon flight. Apparently it was a fare difference, as stated by the nice phone agent (my new routing was still in G-class).
I called within the 24-hour mark for the first flight, to SDC, so I guess it was a regular SDC. Loved the credit though, even though it was only $8.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Take a look at My Receipts in My Wallet - open up the receipt and see what the "Status" is. The last time I had to cancel a flight, they left the ticket as is and it ended up being "Open", which meant it wasn't an e-credit I could see. To rebook, I just called in, asked them to apply it over, and the remaining fare was then deposited to me as an e-credit, which did show up immediately.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahka42
Take a look at My Receipts in My Wallet - open up the receipt and see what the "Status" is. The last time I had to cancel a flight, they left the ticket as is and it ended up being "Open", which meant it wasn't an e-credit I could see. To rebook, I just called in, asked them to apply it over, and the remaining fare was then deposited to me as an e-credit, which did show up immediately.
Looks like we're getting closer to the answer. When I looked at the receipt, the status was indeed "Open". So I called Delta, and the TA told me that to use the value I just type in the ticket number in some field when I go to pay for another ticket. But then the TA told me something that blew my mind, in a very bad way: She said that I can only apply this ticket value to a new ticket that costs at least as much the value remaining in the cancelled ticket. This is horrible, because the cancelled ticket was for ~$6000. I confirmed by asking, "You mean I can't use the value of this ticket to purchase any new ticket that costs less than $6000?" She said, "Yes, that is correct."

Can this be right??????
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Looks like we're getting closer to the answer. When I looked at the receipt, the status was indeed "Open". So I called Delta, and the TA told me that to use the value I just type in the ticket number in some field when I go to pay for another ticket. But then the TA told me something that blew my mind, in a very bad way: She said that I can only apply this ticket value to a new ticket that costs at least as much the value remaining in the cancelled ticket. This is horrible, because the cancelled ticket was for ~$6000. I confirmed by asking, "You mean I can't use the value of this ticket to purchase any new ticket that costs less than $6000?" She said, "Yes, that is correct."

Can this be right??????
yes, assuming this was an international ticket, this would be correct. Many intl tickets have this restriction
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
yes, assuming this was an international ticket, this would be correct. Many intl tickets have this restriction
Yep. International ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.