Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the FC Pre-Flight service dead?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles (SM, 1MM) Marriott Rewards (Lifetime Gold), HHonors (Lifetime Diamond)
Is the FC Pre-Flight service dead?

So sitting on DL2399 in F right now.

No one in F has been offered any beverage. Nothing. The stewardesses are chatting with each other about other flights, boyfriends, a broken car, etc. Only greeted every 10th passenger or so because they were so busy with personal chit-chat.

The plane was not late arriving, the flight crew was not late getting on the plane. In fact boarding commenced exactly on time.

Do I assume:

1. Delta is killing off the pre-flight service?
2. Stewardesses are ex-NWA and still pretending they're unionized and don't feel they HAVE to serve FC pax?
3. Maybe I'm missing they have a super top secret weather report that we will be insanely buffeted by wind on our taxi and they just want to make sure nobody spills anything
4. They only care about serving pax going to "important" cities
5. They are just lazy and using anything as an excuse to not have to serve.

As I write this... They finally stopped talking amongst themselves, but still haven't offered anyone in FC anything.

I'm afraid to ask since one of them might go to the captain, call me disruptive (to their social cackling) and have me removed from the flight--for having dare questioned their actions. You can't say ANYTHING to a FA anymore without them diverting the plane and calling in the Gestapo to take you away in handcuffs (out of an "abundance of caution" of course---GAG!!!)

Last edited by stewie7669; Jun 30, 2015 at 10:39 am
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by stewie7669
So sitting on DL2399 in F right now.

No one in F has been offered any beverage. Nothing. The stewardesses are chatting with each other about other flights, boyfriends, a broken car, etc. Only greeted every 10th passenger or so because they were so busy with personal chit-chat.

The plane was not late arriving, the flight crew was not late getting on the plane. In fact boarding commenced exactly on time.

Do I assume:

1. Delta is killing off the pre-flight service?
2. Stewardesses are ex-NWA and still pretending they're unionized and don't feel they HAVE to serve FC pax?
3. Maybe I'm missing they have a super top secret weather report that we will be insanely buffeted by wind on our taxi and they just want to make sure nobody spills anything
4. They only care about serving pax going to "important" cities
5. They are just lazy and using anything as an excuse to not have to serve.

As I write this... They finally stopped talking amongst themselves, but still haven't offered anyone in FC anything.

I'm afraid to ask since one of them might go to the captain, call me descriptive (to their social cackling) and have me removed from the flight--for having dare questioned their actions

"Stewardesses"

Pre departure beverage service has been a bit hit or miss lately. I was 50% on 6 paid F flights last month and those flights were all from/to LAX...that said you can always ask.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Let's not be dramatic... it's just #5.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Definitely hit or miss... and seems to be more miss than usual lately. Really no excuse for it to be that much 'miss'.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Not dead, don't be dramatic.

Or I may just be flying to 'important cities' all the time
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles (SM, 1MM) Marriott Rewards (Lifetime Gold), HHonors (Lifetime Diamond)
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Not dead, don't be dramatic.

Or I may just be flying to 'important cities' all the time
But being dramatic is so much fun :-).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by rylan
Definitely hit or miss... and seems to be more miss than usual lately. Really no excuse for it to be that much 'miss'.
I seem to have had a moderate number of misses lately. Can't explain it - on my normal routes/schedules and was at 100%. Now I'm at probably 60-70%? No reason that I can find...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:53 am

Perhaps they just don't prefer serving folks that call them "stewardesses"?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Stewardesses? Really? Get out much?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
My experience has been generally positive this year. Only when a quick turnaround was needed has PDB been missed. Even then I've seen it done.

That being said, IMHO the proper course of action to a situation where normal service is not being provided is a polite inquiry. You come off as non-disruptive while reminding them of their duties.

One of my biggest life lessons has been: It never hurts to ask, all someone can say is no.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
So what's a guy supposed to do to get a PDB drink ?

Did they even have out those little 3oz bottles of H2O ?
Ask for one of those and a chaser !

All this to cover up that they are out of 'Woodford' !

Hope that they are not so conservative InFlight !

Hey we are not flying over Kansas so there are no restrictions !
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
The only time I don't see PDB is when the flight is on a tight turn. Otherwise, it's pretty consistent.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: delta dm
80 percent of the time they do .....when they dont do it they are running late
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:31 pm

I've had good luck with PDB this year. Usually O/D of MSP and it's been 100%.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:39 pm

Is this one of those Delta Grey things? PBD's are still policy I believe however I am more misses than hits. I'm lucky to get my jacket taken these days.

Having said that, I did have a great NY based crew JFK-SFO last Friday. Drinks were served, almond packets handed out and jackets hung.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.