Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Marriage Takes Flight"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Great week in the good ol USA!!!!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
One of the first things I saw on my Facebook this morning was Delta's post! Great Job!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Actually, Delta didn't just jump onto the bandwagon after today's SCOTUS decision. Several days ago the delta.com home page showed a large rainbow flag and the statement:

Celebrating Pride Month
Proud Supporter of the LGBT Community Worldwide.

It's one of the most visual statements I've seen from such a large corporation, a great credit to Delta.

And what a celebratory and historic day for the USA!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I was so glad that they did that. I am currently on a trip in Wyoming and after hearing the announcement, I decided to visit Laramie. The bench memorial of Matthew Shepard says, "He continues to make a difference. Peace be with him and all who sit here."
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
So happy to see this on the delta.com homepage. I want to find the person responsible in their ecommerce department and give them a huge hug.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Actually, Delta didn't just jump onto the bandwagon after today's SCOTUS decision. Several days ago the delta.com home page showed a large rainbow flag and the statement:

Celebrating Pride Month

It's one of the most visual statements I've seen from such a large corporation, a great credit to Delta.

And what a celebratory and historic day for the USA!
And not to mention Delta's presence at Pride festivals in their hub cities. I'm not aware of other airlines participating in Pride festivals/parades like Delta does.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
I'm waiting for the Delta Rainbow colored plane.. Be the 1st..
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
You'll find most airlines to be pretty supportive of the LGBT community - given the high proportion of cabin crew who identify as non-straight, it's a cause very important to the airline industry...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

Celebrating Pride Month
It does seem the SCOTUS decision was well timed for numerous corporations that had already invested marketing dollars in Pride Month advertising campaigns

Originally Posted by yohanson
The best part of this ruling is what it will do for carry permit holders. My MN carry permit should allow me to carry in all 50 states and the DC.
Without going into OMNI territory, let's just say the Supreme Court has the consistency of the mysterious goo that passes for first class meals when it comes to its decision making.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:56 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Widgets
I'm not aware of other airlines participating in Pride festivals/parades like Delta does.
There'z another airline???

Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Skyteam
Only God can save this world.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Dhamal
I'm waiting for the Delta Rainbow colored plane.. Be the 1st..
For everyone getting their panties in a wad here over a rainbow flag on DL's homepage because they think it signifies a "big corporation with a heart to support the LGBT community"...let me remind you how marketing works.

Just like all of the "enhancements" over the past few years...DL wants to make money. Marketing types conclude that dual income people with no kids (i.e. most homosexuals) are more prone to travel and spent big $$ on D1 seats. Therefore, guess what group of people they are trying to appeal to...

I can assure you that plenty of the higher ups in the company do not support gay marriage at all, perhaps not even Dick himself (hell, they are based in ATL). Just asking you to see the forest thru the trees. I am sick of people trying to politicize companies as if it means something.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:01 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pgh234
I am sick of people trying to politicize companies as if it means something.
But, corporations are people, too, right???

Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by pgh234
Just like all of the "enhancements" over the past few years...DL wants to make money. Marketing types conclude that dual income people with no kids (i.e. most homosexuals) are more prone to travel and spent big $$ on D1 seats. Therefore, guess what group of people they are trying to appeal to...
Correct answer as to Delta's motives. I guess Delta doesn't believe that the traditional/conservative Catholic and evangelical Protestant money will go elsewhere.

Delta's management also ought to consider the time honored wisdom of 1 Timothy 6:10.

Delta's management also ought to carefully consider Justice Alito's dissent in the Obergefell v. Hodges case. We now live in a country where it is OK for a judge or panel of judges to rewrite the law on any whim and caprice and use a flimsy if not nonexistent basis for doing so. What may seem to be a binding arrangement now may not be when challenged in court in front of a judge who may have had a bad experience on Delta.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by ND76
We now live in a country where it is OK for a judge or panel of judges to rewrite the law on any whim and caprice and use a flimsy if not nonexistent basis for doing so.

First I'll say..with that comment...IBTL!

Next, I feel obliged to pick your statement apart, without regards to your opinion on the matter.

1. The country you "now" live in, has operated in the same way for over 200 years in various forms as to our movement from state laws, to appeals courts, to SCOTUS to progress the rules of law in a changing society.

2. Please review Loving v. Virginia and tell me if you also viewed that as also "a panel of judges rewriting a law on a whim using a flimsy nonexistent basis"

3. Your reference to scripture is irrelevant as the Constitution speaks more to the inability to "make any law respecting an establishment of religion" than it does to an institution of marriage.

4. Alito's dissent was shallow at best in Obergefell V. Hodges and as reiterated in the recent dissent the prevailing issue was not whether same-sex marriage should be permitted but whether SCOTUS should have the authority to hear the case. Independent autonomy is the prevailing motivation for yesterday's ruling and does not impact another's freedom to disagree with such, as Alito tried to fabricate in his dissent in O v. H.

OK sorry for off topic!! go Delta!!! haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.