Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No SDS to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:50 am
Original Poster

No SDS to Canada?

You may recall my earlier thread about trying to go standby on a flight tomorrow LGA->YUL. Well, its within the 24 hour and i'm now being told you cannot do SDC or SDS on International flights, including to Canada.

I tried to HUCA and the next rep told me that standby is prohibited on all international flights. It's $1100 to change to the earlier flight.

Is this true? Or should I just continue to HUCA??
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LMGTFY

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-changes.html#

SDC - Yes
SDS - No
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Specifically:
You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
Yes SDC is allowed to Canada. Call up again and if they insist no, tell them it is listed on the website under the SDC terms and conditions as allowed.

They are correct that Standby is not allowed... so you need to be able to SDC or nothing.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by rylan
Specifically:

Yes SDC is allowed to Canada. Call up again and if they insist no, tell them it is listed on the website under the SDC terms and conditions as allowed.

They are correct that Standby is not allowed... so you need to be able to SDC or nothing.
Rylan is correct.

I've done SDC to/from Canada multiple occasions - including just a few weeks ago.

I've had agents at DL tell me the same thing and you have to HUCA unfortunately.

If you are in paid F, another "gotcha" they try is to tell you that the flight is in "Business Class" and therefore because you have an F ticket, you can't SDC. This is also guff and you need to HUCA or ask for a supervisor.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Right, 'First' is interchangeable with 'Business' for SDC, as that is just a marketing designation for flights that may be continuing onward or connecting to an international route that is in 'real' business class.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Well, it took 4 calls but i'm now on the standby list.

That said, the flight is now oversold so we'll see how that goes.....
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by injera
Well, it took 4 calls but i'm now on the standby list.

That said, the flight is now oversold so we'll see how that goes.....
This shouldn't have happened. You can SDC on transborder flights, but NOT do SDS.

IMO you should not miss your original flight or even get to the airport very early in hopes of the SDS working. The GA could get in trouble for confirming you onto the flight from a voluntary SDS list. [In IROPs the situation could be different. Moreover, nonrevs can obviously do standby to Canada.]
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Just following up/closing this thread.

After 4 HUCA's, a supervisor put me on the standby list, but i noticed i was #15 of 15. At the skyclub, they fixed it so i jumped ahead of all the non-revs and got to #1.

I cleared and despite an open seat in F they would not upgrade me.

All that said, this flight had a mechanical issue and wound up going back to the gate......just in time for me to grab my bag, run to the gate next door and get on my originally scheduled flight. The 1022 took off about 30 minutes earlier than the 845.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by injera
Just following up/closing this thread.

After 4 HUCA's, a supervisor put me on the standby list, but i noticed i was #15 of 15. At the skyclub, they fixed it so i jumped ahead of all the non-revs and got to #1.

I cleared and despite an open seat in F they would not upgrade me.

All that said, this flight had a mechanical issue and wound up going back to the gate......just in time for me to grab my bag, run to the gate next door and get on my originally scheduled flight. The 1022 took off about 30 minutes earlier than the 845.
Wow. Lot of effort to end up right back where you started.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This shouldn't have happened. You can SDC on transborder flights, but NOT do SDS.

IMO you should not miss your original flight or even get to the airport very early in hopes of the SDS working. The GA could get in trouble for confirming you onto the flight from a voluntary SDS list. [In IROPs the situation could be different. Moreover, nonrevs can obviously do standby to Canada.]
I don't see how a GA would get in trouble for clearing a passenger from the SDS list. Don't they get only one Standby list, and clear passengers in order?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sethb
I don't see how a GA would get in trouble for clearing a passenger from the SDS list. Don't they get only one Standby list, and clear passengers in order?
Because DL's rules state:
Standby not permitted to/from Canada
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
But does the GA know the reason for the standby? I'd think a GA would get in more trouble for denying a standby in Irrops.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
The strict STANDBY rules for revenue passengers must have something to do
with Homeland Security being able to pre-check the passenger manifest.
So that no last minute suspects can slip thru the cracks who were not
originally on the manifest.
Non-Rev standbys are aviation employees with a known work background
that can be checked easily. Buddy passes relate back to the employee sponsor.

So the GA who clears a standby of unknown origin would be liable for the
violation of Government regulations and fining of his airline employer ?

Border crossings are serious business !
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLERT
The strict STANDBY rules for revenue passengers must have something to do
with Homeland Security being able to pre-check the passenger manifest.
So that no last minute suspects can slip thru the cracks who were not
originally on the manifest.
Non-Rev standbys are aviation employees with a known work background
that can be checked easily. Buddy passes relate back to the employee sponsor.

So the GA who clears a standby of unknown origin would be liable for the
violation of Government regulations and fining of his airline employer ?

Border crossings are serious business !
How much information does the GA get about each person on the standby list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.