Sky Club Food Getting Better

Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I think it's great that DL is doing something for D1 passengers at select SC. I'll be at JFK next week on a D1 itinerary and I'll get to check it out.

With that said, DL should make all drinks and premium snacks complimentary for D1 passengers. Make it a true business class experience.

I find myself not getting free drinks at the bars in the SC's because I don't want to be that guy who asks.. well what's free?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Honestly a large tapas/sampler plate like pictured above would be great for late-night departures where people want something quick and efficient. Offering choice is good but for a late night flight quick and easy service is my preference. I know HA does a small plates style service with something like eight selections where you choose 2-3, B6 does this for Mint as well, and VX had something like this when they first launched (haven't seen it in trip reports recently so not sure).
I'd like to see this in domestic FC on flights that are long enough for meals but depart after 8 pm, such as the last ATL-MSP flight of the night. It's not easy to eat before these flights, even if one is willing to have dinner in an airport restaurant.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I think it's great that DL is doing something for D1 passengers at select SC. I'll be at JFK next week on a D1 itinerary and I'll get to check it out.

With that said, DL should make all drinks and premium snacks complimentary for D1 passengers. Make it a true business class experience.

I find myself not getting free drinks at the bars in the SC's because I don't want to be that guy who asks.. well what's free?
I think at least some of the luxury bars sell full bottles of champagne. Should that be free for D1 passengers? My answer would be no.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Agree, there has to be a better way to do this.

Related, on my last two JFK SC T4 visits, the service from the food/drink staff seems to have improved quite a bit.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:47 am
Original Poster

I wrote a note to DL complementing them on their nice breakfast and increased snacks, but added they need to do do better for D1 pax.

Got a nice (form) letter back thanking me for my comments, but they didn't mention that D1 pax now get better snacks / light meals.

But its good to hear the comments above that DL really is trying to improve teh D1 experience on the ground. Maybe the extensive discount business class fares I've been seeing recently have DL taking notice.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by mikepa
I wrote a note to DL complementing them on their nice breakfast and increased snacks, but added they need to do do better for D1 pax.

Got a nice (form) letter back thanking me for my comments, but they didn't mention that D1 pax now get better snacks / light meals.

But its good to hear the comments above that DL really is trying to improve teh D1 experience on the ground. Maybe the extensive discount business class fares I've been seeing recently have DL taking notice.
This seems like a contradiction. If business class fares are cheap, it's hard to see an argument for spending money to improve the service unless DL is trying to position itself above the competition. Being forced to match cheap fares should lead to service cutbacks.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WWads
It would be great if Delta offered a full meal in the SC, in exchange for declining meal service on the plane. This would be good for shorter Delta One flights (like JFK-LHR), or for business travelers who want to immediately get to sleep. The meal would obviously have to be superior to the one offered on the plane, however.
BA used to do that, their F lounge had meals so you could spend all your time on the plane asleep. (They might still, it's just been a long time since I flew BA in F.)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This seems like a contradiction. If business class fares are cheap, it's hard to see an argument for spending money to improve the service unless DL is trying to position itself above the competition. Being forced to match cheap fares should lead to service cutbacks.
DL matches some cheap fares, but I think their D1 product IS better than many airlines and therefore they can charge a premium. But if the lounge experience sucks, this degrades the whole D1 experience and pax may think twice about flying DL next time.

I now hear there's a dedicated Delta-One lounge at LAX Bravo DL for realizing the lounge DOES make a difference.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:48 am

What time does the Sky Club menu change from breakfast to lunch?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
What time does the Sky Club menu change from breakfast to lunch?
At 11:00 a.m., I believe.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by sethb
BA used to do that, their F lounge had meals so you could spend all your time on the plane asleep. (They might still, it's just been a long time since I flew BA in F.)
BA still does this for F and J at their US lounges, though it's a buffet with more substantial items (not a sit-down service like at the VS lounge).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd like to see this in domestic FC on flights that are long enough for meals but depart after 8 pm, such as the last ATL-MSP flight of the night. It's not easy to eat before these flights, even if one is willing to have dinner in an airport restaurant.
Just now saw your reply from 6 weeks ago...

Maybe, I was thinking more along the lines of transcons either eastbound overnight or late evening westbound. Although for the former, unlike AA, DL serves a full meal of out JFK even for 9pm departures.

ATL-MSP is a fairly short flight, and is likely either right on the 900 mile band or is an exception market being hub to hub. Don't flights of that length on DL only get a choice of cold salad/sandwich and a packaged Dancing Deer cookie? Wouldn't something like the above be a pretty significant (and IMO unlikely) upgrade?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM

My mother always told me to substitute complimentary for free. Lest we be beggars on the streets (or sky clubs!)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CLEguy
The new(ish?) Thai-style chicken and rice soup is quite good, I've found.
The Thai soup is the best soup I think they have - though I enjoyed that Italian Wedding Meatball soup a few months back.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by mnredfox
The Thai soup is the best soup I think they have - though I enjoyed that Italian Wedding Meatball soup a few months back.
Finally had the clam corn chowder and it was muy bueno.☺

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.