Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mixed Cabin Award Tickets - No Longer Allowed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

I know it is not possible to combine cabins on the website anymore, but it appears to now be a matter of policy that cabins cannot be combined on a single award ticket...

CAN I COMBINE CABIN TYPES AND/OR AWARD LEVELS IN A SINGLE AWARD TICKET?
No. SkyMiles members do not have the ability to combine Main Cabin, First, Business and Delta One™ Class into one round-trip Award Ticket.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cket-faqs.html
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
I know it is not possible to combine cabins on the website anymore, but it appears to now be a matter of policy that cabins cannot be combined on a single award ticket...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cket-faqs.html
This rule cannot be true (or cannot be what DL means) as stated. Otherwise one could never get FC or BE/D1 on an itinerary in which one segment is operated only be a CRJ-200. So people living in certain outstations could never get an international premium cabin award trip unless they take a separate (award or paid) tcket for the portion operated by small RJs--or maybe use ground transportation for that part. This would be a mess, including the lack of IROPs protection.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
If this is in practice true, it will be a major devaluation.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This is absolute LUNACY! What, exactly, is DL to gain from this?!?

I'll often fly nonstop PIT/CDG in Y. It goes quick in 19C, and J is usually never available at whatever "LOW" is, these days - - BUT - - If I book a Y one-way eastbound to Europe, and a J separately for the return, I'd be hit with the unnecessary/nasty/unfair/outrageous/over-the-top International Origination Fee for the return!

Do we hava thread titled - - -

"WILL IT EVER STOP?!?!?"
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Read the rule carefully. Note that it says,

into one round-trip Award Ticket.
Dullta often has their foot in their mouth. This is just probably poorly worded (and if past is any guide, this will be reworded several times over the next few days, each time more confusing and wordy than the last), but what I suspect it means is that can't be one way priced at J and other way priced at Y. It would be sheer lunacy not to allow Y seats if one is already paying for J...then again, sheer lunacy seems to be the guiding principle of Dullta these days, so it could be also true as it sounds, though I think more likely than not it's just lazy, poor wording - as has been quite common coming from DL as of late (DL truly and intensely hates QA of any kind, be it technical/functionality or reading over the site content before posting it live).
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ

Dullta often has their foot in their mouth. This is just probably poorly worded (and if past is any guide, this will be reworded several times over the next few days, each time more confusing and wordy than the last), but what I suspect it means is that can't be one way priced at J and other way priced at Y. It would be sheer lunacy not to allow Y seats if one is already paying for J...then again, sheer lunacy seems to be the guiding principle of Dullta these days, so it could be also true as it sounds, though I think more likely than not it's just lazy, poor wording - as has been quite common coming from DL as of late (DL truly and intensely hates QA of any kind, be it technical/functionality or reading over the site content before posting it live).
That wouldn't make sense either - you can just issue a ticket as two one ways, one in each class of service, so they're not gaining anything by adding this constraint. Other than soaking us for a bunch of foreign origination taxes/YQ.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ

Why settle for charging miles for a D1/BE/FC award flight with some segments in coach if you can gouge even more by forcing the FFer to get several separate tickets for the trip? J < J + Y.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
This change would be catastropical for the usual low "C" TATL bussines tickets with one or two onward connections in europe ( which are usually in Y ). It's nearly impossible to find an low C seat with an onward connection within europe in "C" too ( sometimes they offer you an connection in "C" with an 18 hour layover in AMS/CDG ). I'm fine with the short european hops in beeing in Y while paying the "C" price but if that announcment is true good luck for future "C" bookings....
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:52 am

Let's hope this is just a wording error. My experience in recent years is having to book far out to get international biz seats requires you get the connector flight in coach as first is rarely available until later in the schedule if at all for domestic flights. If you have to book separate tickets for the connector flight what happens when the schedule changes or a delay causes a misconnect? What if you have regional jets with no first at your home airport? If anyone books a mixed cabin award please update this thread, I cannot believe Delta would make this change it makes no sense.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Delta hopes that you will just buy two one ways, so they can whack you with fuel surcharges ex Europe.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by number21
If this is in practice true, it will be a major devaluation.
Exactly-this is a major irritant on other FFPs that do this (i.e. AV.)
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:09 am

I was able to see DL.com price mixed cabin OW EWR/CDG/MRS, O across the water X inter Europe on 19 October for 62,500 miles.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I'm starting to wonder if the DL programmers are just too lazy to handle this situations.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
This is appalling. I hope it is just a mistake. Does anyone know how long this language has been in the award FAQ?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I think you all are taking this too literally. Of course you can still book F/J+Y each direction for the same F/J price. I'm sure they just mean that the return can't priced as a Y award (or vice versa).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.