Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preloading carry-ons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by TTT
One easy test-case would be to look at WN. Do they have a higher number of checked bags/lower number of carry-ons than the legacies? I haven't flown WN in years so can't comment from experience there.
Purely anecdotal here, but when I see WN gatehouses, there's the regular cluster of people, but they're all lined up. They know exactly where to be in line, and proceed. Boarding an airplane, especially a narrowbody, is going to take a while. However, I don't seem to see as many carryon luggage (as opposed to a bag, purse, laptop case, etc), except maybe the business traveler or the kid visiting his parents for the weekend. From what I hear from most leisure flyers that like WN, they check bags and brag about no checked bag fees, and unless they're in a hurry to get off the plane and go, they probably will check luggage.

However, to get on a tangent, as orderly as WN's boarding process seems, there are still hangups. They're all in line, spaced out due to the several-seconds delay to scan a boarding pass, but then they all get jammed up again as people try to decide which seat they want, scoot past others, put bags in the overhead (and block the aisle). I guess the only reason I bring that up is because of the constant debate of "if they got rid of bag fees, people would check more bags, there'd be less congestion in the aisles, and people would get their coveted bin space." It seems like the airlines have different pieces of the puzzle, but no one has been able to put them together yet.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Perfectly fine with DL and other airlines charging for checked bags. I carry-on 95% of the time and am not interested in having my fares go up for a service I do not use.

That said, I can see how this new "enhancement" will play out...

"Oh, we're sorry Mr. SOBE ER DOC, but your bag doesn't fit in the overhead so our valet staff have checked it to your final destination. You can pick it up in baggage claim when you arrive." On only buy approved size cary-ons but I can totally see this happening.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scracer14
I agree, I would pay for this service. This would allow me to spend 20 more minutes in the Sky Club, and many other elites and frequent travelers could walk up and board late after the more casual travelers have taken their seats.

Also offering this to elites (who generally sit in aisles) makes more sense. If we board in group 1, and sit down, we have to stand up for grandma and grandpa in the window and middle. Having our bag already on board means we would board shortly before the door, walk on and sit down.
The problem is that the bag is out of your control, so anything that you wouldn't put into a checked bag, such as medicine, electronics, jewelry, and other valuables, would need to be removed. If there's concern about the bag being mispaced--for example if it's taken from the passenger before the gate--then you would also need to place needed items for the first day or so at your destination into your smaller carry on piece. For many people, this would become almost as big of a nuisance as checking a bag.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that the bag is out of your control, so anything that you wouldn't put into a checked bag, such as medicine, electronics, jewelry, and other valuables, would need to be removed. If there's concern about the bag being mispaced--for example if it's taken from the passenger before the gate--then you would also need to place needed items for the first day or so at your destination into your smaller carry on piece. For many people, this would become almost as big of a nuisance as checking a bag.
Why would you have to do all that? This seems no different than leaving your bags with the front desk and going out to dinner, and when you come back they are in your room.

I think getting bag from SC to OHB is a different risk operation than checking a bag. YMMV.

David
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Wonder what happens when someone comes up and drops off their laptop bag, coat, purse off for valet, do they get snubbed?

Another possible solution would be to check small bags for free when pax are already paying to check a large bag.

Example: A few weeks back I flew TPA-LAX, SEA-TPA with a family member. We each had a full sized bag and a roll-aboard. On the outbound we checked the full-size (free as an FO) and carried on the two smaller bags (saved $25/bag). On the inbound we were upgraded and thus had SP so we checked all 4 bags.

Although I know there are exceptions, most of the time it seems the number of bags to be gate checked is minimal, so if you could proactively check ~15 small bags a flight, you would put a big dent in the problem.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
To MSPeconomist out there...

If the FAA banned baggage fees (2 bags 50 lbs) so that all airlines would have to internalize the cost into fares, would passengers be less likely to go overboard with carry-on bags?
I'm not MSPeconomist, but from my experience is that it depends. On busniess routes, carry-on space would still be a premium. Business travelers look at it as time, not money for the most part. For leisure routes, you could board last and there would be plenty of bin space

However, I'm against internalizing the cost of baggage into the fare. I like the current system of paying only for the services you need. I think it's fair.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Jun 2, 2015 at 3:34 pm Reason: typos
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by TTT
One easy test-case would be to look at WN. Do they have a higher number of checked bags/lower number of carry-ons than the legacies? I haven't flown WN in years so can't comment from experience there.
Yes they do. As does AS within Alaska where they offer 3 free checked bags.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You think like Southwest management. You know, the firm with a market cap $10 Billion less than Delta's.
And that's why WN had an operating margin of 12% vs DL's 5% in 2014, as well as a CASM of 6.5 cents vs. 8 cents?

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I'd take baggage fees on Delta over free bags on Southwest + the idiotic seat map option any day.
DL and the others are the ones with "seap maps". WN is open seating. You can choose any open seat you like, which is so nice.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
If WN had assigned seating, I would fly them A LOT more. It's the crapshoot of what you will get that has me take them only in a pinch.
If it's that big of a deal, and you're willing to pay more, do EBCI, and then you're guaranteed and aisle seat. I just snipe the check-ins, and I have never had an issue getting an aisle seat near the rear of the plane, which is where I always sit.

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Perfectly fine with DL and other airlines charging for checked bags. I carry-on 95% of the time and am not interested in having my fares go up for a service I do not use.
Everyone benefits by getting as much baggage out of the cabin as possible. It makes perfect rational sense for me to prefer an airline with free checked baggage even though I don't, and never have, checked a bag myself.

Gate checking bags in kind of a loophole in the system, in that it's free, but I don't think most people know about it, so they don't know to do it.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm not MSPeconomist, but from my experience is that it depends. On busniess routes, carry-on space would still be a premium. Busuiness travelers look at it as time, not money for the most part.
Business travelers aren't the culprits. I'm pretty bad when I'm leisure traveling, but enough people check on WN that it's not an issue. The business folks have little tiny carry-on bags most of the time, while leisure travelers have the absolute largest carry-on you can possible have. The larger bins on the 738's vice the smaller bins on the 734's and 7H4's help a lot with the big roller bags too. I don't recall off-hand which DL planes have the larger bins, I know that the international 767's are miserable for bin space, and don't have the larger bins.

However, I'm against internalizing the cost of baggage into the fare. I like the current system of paying only for the services you need. I think it's fair.
Then why fly DL? Fly on Spirit or Frontier, that's their model. Carry-on? Fee. Printed ticket? Fee. WN saves money by allowing 2 free checked bags, as they can turn their planes faster, and makes things better for everyone. They also have the smaller bins on their 7H4's, so the big bags take up a crapload of space.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Is today April Fools Day or Ground Hog Day?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BiggAW
Then why fly DL? Fly on Spirit or Frontier, that's their model. Carry-on? Fee. Printed ticket? Fee. WN saves money by allowing 2 free checked bags, as they can turn their planes faster, and makes things better for everyone. They also have the smaller bins on their 7H4's, so the big bags take up a crapload of space.
If WN can turn their planes faster, why did they have a horrible operational issues last year? The fact is that once they got 738s, they couldn't turn them that fast.

There is no way I'll ever fly NK. Not with a 28" pitch. Never. F9 isn't too much better IMO. Plus, loyalty to NK gets you nothing as far as I can tell.

With DL (and AA, UA, and US), once you fly 25k miles, you get fee waivers, access to more comfortable seats, and several other amenities that make travel much less unpleasant.

As for bins filling up, I've seen it happen on WN as well back in the 1990's. It happens.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Jun 2, 2015 at 3:44 pm Reason: added paragraph
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
If WN can turn their planes faster, why did they have a horrible operational issues last year? The fact is that once they got 738s, they couldn't turn them that fast.
Their schedules are packed tight, so sometimes they get a bit behind.

There is no way I'll ever fly NK. Not with a 28" pitch. Never. F9 isn't too much better IMO. Plus, loyalty to NK gets you nothing as far as I can tell.
True, 28" would suck bigtime. NK isn't looking for loyalty, they are targeting occasional travelers who likely wouldn't otherwise fly.

With DL (and AA, UA, and US), once you fly 25k miles, you get fee waivers, access to more comfortable seats, and several other amenities that make travel much less unpleasant.
I'm assuming that's per year? Otherwise basically everyone would have 25k miles and it would be pointless. WN has better seats on their 738's in the first place (as does AS), and they don't nickel and dime you in the first place. I see no point in loyalty programs. I sign up for any of them that I'm flying on, but it's a non-factor in choosing what to fly on. Plane type, seat pitch, price, features, etc, are all much more important. DL's seat pitch usually sucks compared to WN, so that's a huge differentiator, especially when WN is usually the low bidder.

As for bins filling up, I've seen it happen on WN as well back in the 1990's. It happens.
Sure, it can happen anywhere, but it's a lot less likely to happen on WN when they have 2 free checked bags. Plus their new 738's have bigger bins.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dgilman
Why would you have to do all that? This seems no different than leaving your bags with the front desk and going out to dinner, and when you come back they are in your room.

I think getting bag from SC to OHB is a different risk operation than checking a bag. YMMV.

David
Because your carry on is where you put your valuables and meds so they don't get stolen, the airlines recommend this. I'm sure as hell not leaving them at any front desk while I go to dinner either, I can spend the ten minutes to get it to my room myself.

Aside from that my company has a policy whereby my laptop and any sensitive material must not be out of my possession while traveling.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BiggAW
This is the most idiotic plan yet that I've heard from Delta. First it was the racket they are running with legroom and "Economy Plus", where they are the proverbial "Tony", steal your seat legroom, and then try to sell it back to you for more. Then it was the "Economy Basic" BS which is basically a bait and switch campaign to show lower prices for a service that no one actually would want in the search engines, I guess to compete with WN or some of the ULCC's or something.

And now this. This is a new low in completely and utterly idiotic things that DL is doing. The overhead bin space thing is utterly ridiculous. I do not check bags, but some people, in fact, many people, are willing to check their bags if there are no checked baggage fees. WN turns and loads planes faster by having fewer carry-ons, and more stuff handled by the rampers. AS does the same thing within Alaska, minus the faster loading, since they take forever to board anyway, but at least most of it is just chilling in your seat, and not wrangling, cramming, and slamming bags.

Therefore, even though I don't check bags, I greatly benefit from WN's no checked bags fees. DL's system before was semi-functional if I took a seat in the back so that I could get carry-on space. Now with this BS, I can't get carry-on space, since it will all be filled up already.

DL already lost my business, so much as I can avoid them, a long time ago, to WN, even though I go to DTW at least once a year, and thus have to bounce through BWI on WN. But stuff like this is just galvanizing my complete and total hatred for their ridiculous practices.

DL should shape up in the following ways:

1. Scrap this idiotic plan.
2. 2 free checked bags for every passenger
3. Get rid of Economy Plus and Economy Minus, give every Economy seat 32". If I'm going to pay more than WN, I at least want what WN gives you, which is 31" or 32".

That would still leave first class, and their inefficient and archaic assigned seat model, but AS has those, and AS is still OK.

angry much?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Wouldn't you think that could be a good question for your PL?
If I had one.

Plus it's not in my airport.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:02 pm

How though is this going to affect elites? I have plat status and, when I don't get the FC upgrade, count on getting my bin space above the exit rows. Does this mean a significant percentage of overhead bin space will be taken by carryons (presumably kettle carryons) and therefore not available to elites who board in SKY zone?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The best solution to the overhead baggage scrum would be to enforce the size limits (free checked baggage is not going to go away). But that would piss people off so better to fleece them with another enhancement.
2 passengers clapped for me when I insisted on charging someone for their oversize carry-on when it wouldn't fit onboard. This was all at the bottom of the jetway.

The FA was confused... "weren't you checking them for free at the gate?" And I said "Only if they're actually size-compliant! Everyone would haul their giant bags up to the gate if they expected them for free. It's punishing the guys who play by the rules."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.