Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Miserable delta experience. Compensation?

Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm rehashing this from my Instagram but want to know the best way to go about getting compensation and how much to expect. I'm finally on a plane to my final destination by the way...almost 24 hours later.

@delta I'm going to give you a long hand experience of my past 24 hours. I was scheduled to leave Charlotte at 6 pm last night for JFK and the flight was cancelled due to inclement weather in NYC. I paid for a hotel and rebooked with an agent to Newark because it was the earliest back. Got to the airport at 6:30am flew out of Charlotte 50 minutes late because of a mechanical issue where an entire row of seats needed to be removed and rebolted. We arrived at our connecting gate 15 minutes before departure and they would not open the door. We were put on standby for two flights and booked for a 4 o'clock flight. The first standby flight was delayed for 2 hours and I was third on a list for standby right after my girlfriend. We were both cleared and happy and took our seats on the plane at which point as the doors are closing I'm told that one of us needs to leave the aircraft. To add, I was rudely and forcibly told to leave the aircraft or they would have to call security. All I was trying to do was figure out if both my girlfriend and I would stay or just me. So this picture: now with another lap full of tickets waiting for another standby flight. Not to mention you sent the bag that I voluntarily checked for plane weight issues to Newark and I suppose I'll be dealing with that later tonight. No one I've come into contact with today from Delta staff in ATL airport have been even remotely helpful I will say the Georgia something that I spoke with on the phone was very sweet but all in all #neveragain #nohelp #pissed ps you are now one of two companies I've called out on social media...but yours is way worse. Congratulations.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL may toss you a few miles by way of a customer service gesture, largely depending on your status. I would be surprised if it's anything much, particularly in light of the tone of your complaint (which may well cause them to simply send you a generic "sorry, but tough" response with no gesture at all.

Bottom line here is that your first flight cancelled due to WX. That happens. Your next flight was a bit late and you misconnected. At T-15 your connecting flight closed as per DL policy. You were then placed on standby and almost made it. But, you didn't. Those are the risks of standby.

If DL got to the point of threatening to call security, there must have been more to the interchange than you've reported. But, that will make it's way back through the crew report.

Unfortunately, full flights and a bit of WX can translate into lengthy delays. Your travel insurance ought to cover the hotel + meals, so you shouldn't be out of pocket.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome.

We've moved your thread to the proper airline Forum.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.