Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX Check-in for Silver Medallions (FO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 11:11 am
Original Poster

I am an FO, and last time I tried to check in at LAX in person, I couldn't find a dedicated FO check-in line. The agents protecting the lines kept bouncing me back and forth between the general line and sky priority.

For regular LAX travelers, does LAX have a silver medallion line now, or are we allowed to use the Sky Priority check in area despite the signage only saying gold and up?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:31 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by preswest
I am an FO, and last time I tried to check in at LAX in person, I couldn't find a dedicated FO check-in line. The agents protecting the lines kept bouncing me back and forth between the general line and sky priority.

For regular LAX travelers, does LAX have a silver medallion line now, or are we allowed to use the Sky Priority check in area despite the signage only saying gold and up?
There is a such thing as a Silver Medallion Line? Or is this a joke?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
There is a such thing as a Silver Medallion Line?
True. But according to this table, "priority check-in" is a benefit for all medallions.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:39 am

I know some airports let FOs use the SP counter. Mine does. Which means that AMEX cardholders think "Silver" means them.

I've never noticed an SP line and then a separate FO-only line.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
True. But according to this table, "priority check-in" is a benefit for all medallions.
Clicking on "priority check-in" shows this:

"Medallion® members have access to designated, Delta One™/Business Class or First Class check-in areas at most airports where Delta offers this service."

Pretty much only at small airports
Old May 29, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by Widgets
I know some airports let FOs use the SP counter. Mine does. Which means that AMEX cardholders think "Silver" means them.

I've never noticed an SP line and then a separate FO-only line.
I think MSP has dedicated Silver check-in lines.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
I've seen one at ATL.

Rant time...It's sad to me that a Silver Medallion has less priority than a casual flyer who buys a Comfort+ seat. I feel SP was something better when earned (or purchased with FC). Last Saturday was my first trip back to the port since Comfort+ was enhanced with Sky Priority and the lines at Check-in/Security have really taken a hit (don't make me mention gate licing or trying to board with PREM). And with THAT said, if SP comes with Comfort+ and the inexperienced, it'd be nice to have some FC/PREM lanes at Check-in.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by berliner5000
What if a DM was rejected because he's not FO? XD
Old May 29, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by droidcore
I've seen one at ATL.

Rant time...It's sad to me that a Silver Medallion has less priority than a casual flyer who buys a Comfort+ seat. I feel SP was something better when earned (or purchased with FC). Last Saturday was my first trip back to the port since Comfort+ was enhanced with Sky Priority and the lines at Check-in/Security have really taken a hit (don't make me mention gate licing or trying to board with PREM). And with THAT said, and off topic, if SP comes with Comfort+ and the inexperienced, it'd be nice to have some FC/PREM lanes.
C+ only gets SP boarding so check-in and security are unaffected.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Interesting. The table seems to indicate a change. When Sky Priority as a produce was introduced, FO's were not included in this. Previously, FO's had access to first class check in counters along with all other medallions. With the intro of SP, they were given a separate check in line at a lot of airports (LAX included). It now appears that FO's have access (or at least should) to the SP check in area.

It appears there needs to be some education for staff.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Interesting. The table seems to indicate a change. When Sky Priority as a produce was introduced, FO's were not included in this. Previously, FO's had access to first class check in counters along with all other medallions. With the intro of SP, they were given a separate check in line at a lot of airports (LAX included). It now appears that FO's have access (or at least should) to the SP check in area.

Yeah as a former FO (PM now) it would be very frustrating. I know the OPs feelings well - the folks guarding the general line try and send you to SP; and the folks at the SP line want to send you to the general line. Can be very frustrating.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel

Some airports have SP signage that includes FO & STE. Some don't. IME it's purely based on airport size. Smallest airports let FOs use SP. big ones don't.

All my acquaintances who work at SP ticket counters never deny an FO at the counter. I don't even deny a regular passenger unless he/she starts asking about seats, rebooking, etc.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Some airports have SP signage that includes FO & STE. Some don't. IME it's purely based on airport size. Smallest airports let FOs use SP. big ones don't.

All my acquaintances who work at SP ticket counters never deny an FO at the counter. I don't even deny a regular passenger unless he/she starts asking about seats, rebooking, etc.
Staff at certain airports are very strict. MSP is a good example of this--I have seen people sent away from the counter multiple times.

I wish that gate agents would be this strict!
Old May 29, 2015, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by berliner5000
That's right. It's currently way to the left, very far from SkyPriority. IIRC there's also a special TSA security line down there for FOs, although at MSP FOs can use the "all airline" elite and premium cabin TSA line to the right of SkyPriority and a bunch of other airline check in counters.

At very small airports, there's usually signage that FOs can use the SkyPriority check in counter.

I suspect that ATL has a special check in area for FOs, but I can't picture its location.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Some airports have SP signage that includes FO & STE. Some don't. IME it's purely based on airport size.
Signage or not, priority check-in is a published benefit for FOs regardless of airport. Agree with jdrtravel that some agents need to be properly educated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.