Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are 2 rows of C+ being added to MD-88s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 2 rows of C+ being added to MD-88s?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Question Are 2 rows of C+ being added to MD-88s?

In the past week, I have flown twice on Delta ship 969 (N969DL), and MD-88 which had C+ seats extending from rows 10 - 14. On Delta.dumb, the seat map still shows row 12 as the last row of C+, which is also consistent with my past experience on MD-88s.

Any idea if this is something that will be added to the entire MD-88 fleet? This plane did have the new seat covers in first and C+, as well as the headrest wings, I believe.

On one leg I was in row 15, which felt like it had less legroom than typical. On the other leg I was in row 2, which was certainly nicer.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Yes. They are adding 2 more rows of C+ to the MD-88. They are also doing this with the MD-90.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a smart move if DMs/PMs aren't able to get C+/EC seats or if DL is able to sell more of these seats at a profitable price.

However, what is the source of the additional space (up to four inches, DL claims) for each of the two additional rows? It the pitch throughout the rest of coach being reduced slightly, or is it coming from the space available in the next several rows, which would be "preferred" seats? Do people now need to avoid not only the first row behind the C+/EC seats or are there several additional rows in there that have become undesirable?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a smart move if DMs/PMs aren't able to get C+/EC seats or if DL is able to sell more of these seats at a profitable price.

However, what is the source of the additional space (up to four inches, DL claims) for each of the two additional rows? It the pitch throughout the rest of coach being reduced slightly, or is it coming from the space available in the next several rows, which would be "preferred" seats? Do people now need to avoid not only the first row behind the C+/EC seats or are there several additional rows in there that have become undesirable?
I'm not sure how they found the space, but the number of seats in front of the exit rows is the same, so there must have been some shifting of seats. I'm guessing that they made everything else 30.51" in order to claim 31".
Old May 29, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
regular coach seating has become unbearable.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Yes. They are adding 2 more rows of C+ to the MD-88. They are also doing this with the MD-90.
With the legroom on the MD-90's at 30' in Y I dont see how two more rows of C+ would go in. The MD-88's have 32' of legroom in Y so it's possible to add some more C+ rows
Old May 29, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm not sure how they found the space, but the number of seats in front of the exit rows is the same, so there must have been some shifting of seats. I'm guessing that they made everything else 30.51" in order to claim 31".
You are so cynical... but it is warranted.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Perhaps they are adding two C+ rows by eliminating the last row of first. I was just on a 757-300 and row 6 was taken out and replaced by coach rows 15, 16, 17 ABC, and rows 15 and 16 DEF. Toilet was behind 16DEF and directly across from 17ABC. The "usual" row 14DE was now 18DE, then continuing on in the main cabin "as usual".

There was no bulkhead wall separating first and coach. There was a screen that hung from the ceiling to a little above the back seat of row 5, so row 15 had screen in front and row 5 as underseat storage.

I apologize if it's a little difficult to envision, but I'm trying to be as visual as possible. I was in row 3, seats were new with neon blue lighting throughout the cabin -- nice if you like disco lighting. In the main cabin the neon blue lighting came from the ceiling, so not as disturbing as in first.

Perhaps this is the future of plane configurations?
Old May 29, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by lking
Perhaps they are adding two C+ rows by eliminating the last row of first. I was just on a 757-300 and row 6 was taken out and replaced by coach rows 15, 16, 17 ABC, and rows 15 and 16 DEF. Toilet was behind 16DEF and directly across from 17ABC. The "usual" row 14DE was now 18DE, then continuing on in the main cabin "as usual".

There was no bulkhead wall separating first and coach. There was a screen that hung from the ceiling to a little above the back seat of row 5, so row 15 had screen in front and row 5 as underseat storage.

I apologize if it's a little difficult to envision, but I'm trying to be as visual as possible. I was in row 3, seats were new with neon blue lighting throughout the cabin -- nice if you like disco lighting. In the main cabin the neon blue lighting came from the ceiling, so not as disturbing as in first.

Perhaps this is the future of plane configurations?
I flew on a 757-200 from ATL-LAX on Wednesday, and it had the same new configuration that you described. Totally refurbished.

I was in 5A, and not only got to experience having my seat kicked continually by a little munchkin (the most polite term I can think of - that kid was a brat), but his teenage sister had her sock feet up on the armrest between my seat and 5B.

I didn't realize that she had her feet thru the seats until I tried to get my tray table out, and couldn't open the cover.

I won't be making the mistake of sitting in that row again.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
This is good news since I'm on Maddog's a lot out of Detroit. With upgrades being harder to get, having more C+ seats available will be great.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's not convince ourselves to be happy with C+ instead of F.

It's scary that DL is back to ripping out rows of FC seats, just as the A320s are going back to 16FC.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not convince ourselves to be happy with C+ instead of F.

It's scary that DL is back to ripping out rows of FC seats, just as the A320s are going back to 16FC.
I'm not, but C+ beats regular Y (it would be nice if Delta would provide the same items to DM's in any Y seat that AA does their EP's). But as long as they are leaving 16 F seats in the MD-88, this is an improvement for everyone. Same number of first class seats so upgrades won't go down like on the A320 and 319 when they removed the row of coach, and if people don't get upgraded there will be more C+ seats to sit in
Old May 29, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm not, but C+ beats regular Y (it would be nice if Delta would provide the same items to DM's in any Y seat that AA does their EP's). But as long as they are leaving 16 F seats in the MD-88, this is an improvement for everyone. Same number of first class seats so upgrades won't go down like on the A320 and 319 when they removed the row of coach, and if people don't get upgraded there will be more C+ seats to sit in
FC seats are reportedly being ripped out of some 757s.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm about 95% certain the MD-88 with the extra 2 rows of C+ still had all 16 FC seats, so no change there. There was also the blue mood lighting installed in the ceiling. It really seemed to startle people when it was turned on during the pre-landing walk through the aisles by the FA's.

Also, it sounds like you are describing the new B-757-200 configuration and not the -300 configuration.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:11 am

Perhaps they are adding two C+ rows by eliminating the last row of first.
No, the number of F seats on the MD planes is still sixteen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.