Wiki Posts
Search

Last minute aircraft downgrade LAX-JFK

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by davetravels
Funny, how you young whippersnappers are about this stuff. I remember, waaay back in the olden days, flying on NW's glitzy B742s in Y. No Economy Comfort. Only an overhead projector with a fuzzy picture with a single movie playing - take it or leave it. No in seat power. ...
You were lucky that you had seats.

We used to have to stand up and hang from a leather strap from the ceiling... unless you were lucky enough to get upgraded to one of the wooden crates.

Old May 28, 2015, 10:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You were lucky that you had seats.

We used to have to stand up and hang from a leather strap from the ceiling... unless you were lucky enough to get upgraded to one of the wooden crates.

Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen

"The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth!"

O M G!!! That, is simply HILARIOUS!!!! Thanx a million, for that!!!

"We, used to live in a corridor" . . . .

"Oh, we would have DREAMED to live in a corridor! It would have been a PALACE to us!!!"

I almost fell off my chair laughing!!!

Old May 28, 2015, 10:48 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
Funny, how you young whippersnappers are about this stuff. I remember, waaay back in the olden days, flying on NW's glitzy B742s in Y. No Economy Comfort. Only an overhead projector with a fuzzy picture with a single movie playing - take it or leave it. No in seat power. Not even any such thing as a tablet existed - maybe, not even laptops!

DTW/NRT 13.5 hours

then, immediately followed by

NRT/BKK 7.5 hours

Gosh, golly, HOW did we get through it?!?!?
I flew LAX - NRT - BKK on a 741 in 1998. no amenities including video but it did have lie flat seats. It was a 3 class flight with 4 or 6 FC seats on the upper deck.
That was the plane with the spiral staircase to the upper deck.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
well, as much as I am a delta fanboy, this practice of subbing lesser, inferior aircraft is totally unacceptable. Especially when you have B6, UA and AA competing for passengers on this route. I am sure DL will lose some business to the competition out of this unacceptable practice. If DL wanted to not lose valuable customers, they should provide a full refund for customers that paid for a J ticket.
Your right, they should just cancel the flight and leave all the PAX for other flights.
Originally Posted by Millertime
Yes equipment swaps do happen, but the issue is Delta handles these situations so poorly. It is common to read in these threads that customers are shocked to get on the plane and find out they aren't getting the amenities they paid for. That is unacceptable with the technology available these days.

This is what Delta should do if they want to provide a premium product on these so called premium routes. The second they know of an equipment swap they should email/call/text each of the paying delta one passengers and let them know. If there is room on an earlier or later flight they should offer that space. If that doesn't work for the customer they should proactively offer money/miles to help make things right. If you want to go after the high end customers treat them right.
Alright, Maintenance finds something at the gate right before boarding......?
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I don't have the hard data but it seems to me like AA isn't having to swap non-tcon aircraft for it's LAX/JFK premium route, do they have a larger subfleet or are they more willing to delay rather than swap birds, or are their 321s more reliable than DL's 757s?
When you start off with "I don't have the hard data" that kills it.
Fact is, Delta is running a much better operation than UA/AA combined

and no. The fleet sizes are about the same. Delta does run the 757 on some TATL flying but AA also has more frequency on JFK-LAX.
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Correct. AA has a dedicated subfleet for this route. Delta is late to the party and will be adding more aircraft to this route in the next few months. Hopefully this will alleviate their constant need to swap out D1 equipped birds with substandard 757s. The sooner the better because the swaps seem to be happening far too often.
not even close. DL has 18 75E/75S AA has 17 321T and run more frequency than DL
Old May 28, 2015, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Fine, the food service is too much for a crappy old plane's teeny old galley.

What about....amenity kits? They could at least still give out the stupid earplugs and eyeshades and tumi kits. There is no valid reason on earth to drop those from the flight service. None at all.

Stupid.

Anyway, I did write a cranky email to Delta about it and they gave me some skymiles and a letter in reply that regurgitated every single sentence of my original note to them, with "I understand that...".

Here was my email, for example: "There were no power outlets on the flight."

Their note: "I understand that there were no power outlets on the flight."

It's like they are just trying to talk down a crazy person from the ledge.

Still, they replied within a couple of hours and miles are miles so, all in all, they were pretty satisfactory in handling my very first world complaint.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I wonder what happened here to cause the equipment swap? Perhaps DL pulled the scheduled 75S in order to fly the 100 DL employees to TLS for the delivery of DL's first A333 242T aircraft. I know they flew there in a B757, though I don't know which ship # went!
Old May 29, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by audidudi
I wonder what happened here to cause the equipment swap? Perhaps DL pulled the scheduled 75S in order to fly the 100 DL employees to TLS for the delivery of DL's first A333 242T aircraft. I know they flew there in a B757, though I don't know which ship # went!
OP said the flt changed was from LAX-JFK. I highly doubt DL would do this.

From the press release:
The delivery ceremony today at Airbus' headquarters in Toulouse, France, is particularly notable as the airline brought some 100 employees - each a member of Delta's Chairman's Club. The group is selected by their peers annually from 10-thousand nominees in Delta's most prestigious corporate recognition program.

"Delta's addition of this Airbus A330-300 marks a major milestone and reflects our continued strategy of making prudent investments in our fleet that enhance our customer experience and operational reliability," said Delta President Ed Bastian from the delivery event. "Having our Chairman's Club honorees, true examples of the Delta spirit of service, here to help us welcome this new aircraft into the Delta family makes this occasion even more special."

"As the launch customer and launch operator of the 242-tonne A330-300, Delta is demonstrating its continued confidence in the performance and comfort of the A330, which has been part of the airline's fleet for twelve years," said John Leahy, Airbus Chief Operating Officer - Customers. "The higher take-off weight allows the airline to fly both trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific routes, all in unrivalled comfort with operational reliability over 99 percent. The 242-tonne A330 clearly paves the way for the A330neo and A350 XWB to join Delta's fleet in the next few years."
If DL did pull a 75S off the scheduled route (if that is the plane we are talking about - I do not know?) - that would be a major FAIL if it was to transport these 100 DL employes! I highly doubt DL did that.

It is also a major FAIL to not at least have the proper amenity kits boarded. The food I understand, if DL can not provide that service on the replaced AC.

Anyone that purchased premium seats on this flt should contact DL Customer Care.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by kettle1

From the press release:

If DL did pull a 75S off the scheduled route (if that is the plane we are talking about - I do not know?) - that would be a major FAIL if it was to transport these 100 DL employes! I highly doubt DL did that.

It is also a major FAIL to not at least have the proper amenity kits boarded. The food I understand, if DL can not provide that service on the replaced AC.

Anyone that purchased premium seats on this flt should contact DL Customer Care.
The inbound flight from JFK>LAX was also operated by N671DN, but that was it's first flight in a week, so who knows how much time they had to prepare the aircraft for a Delta One cabin. Still, it had to have been a swap for a 75S I believe.

Last edited by audidudi; May 29, 2015 at 1:53 am
Old May 29, 2015, 2:01 am

I just found out that N703TW, a 75S, flew from PHL>TLS on the evening of May 26th! Here's the FlightAware history of that aircraft! So that's what caused the swap to a B752 on those JFK>LAX>JFK flights!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N703TW
Old May 29, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by audidudi
The inbound flight from JFK>LAX was also operated by N671DN.
So that AC went MX at LAX? Correct? That means that AC did not fly to France with a bunch of DL employes going to see a new AC? No way if this happened with this AC, as those employes were picked from all around the World (according to DL).

It is still a FAIL on DL's part for the PX that paid for upgraded service, with $$$ or miles. Those PX need to contact DL Customer Care, if they have not already been contacted by DL.

Those that got upgraded on this flt got better service than sitting in Y (the paid seat).
Old May 29, 2015, 2:42 am

So that AC went MX at LAX? Correct? That means that AC did not fly to France with a bunch of DL employes going to see a new AC? No way if this happened with this AC, as those employes were picked from all around the World (according to DL).

It is still a FAIL on DL's part for the PX that paid for upgraded service, with $$$ or miles. Those PX need to contact DL Customer Care, if they have not already been contacted by DL.

Those that got upgraded on this flt got better service than sitting in Y (the paid seat).
I'm not sure that you understand what happened here. N703TW, a 75S normally used for all the transcon flights, was pulled out of service to fly to TLS on the evening of May 26th, which just happened to be the same evening that N671DN, a plain B752, was substituted to fly DL427 from JFK>LAX and then the next morning to fly DL791 from LAX>JFK. No aircraft went tech anywhere, just a simple swap from a nicely equipped aircraft with Delta One and all the features which come with that, plus AVOD and in-seat power throughout, to a plain Jane B752 which apparently only had overhead monitors and therefore no in-seat power available, and also lacked the correct equipment in the galleys to provide the "Delta One" cabin their proper meals!

Last edited by audidudi; May 29, 2015 at 6:00 am
Old May 29, 2015, 3:16 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I watch DL Studio on my iphone, I tend to lose power quickly, for example from about 85% to less than 20% in less than two hours, especially if I also do some refreshes on the DL app too. I've managed to drain the battery totally (startng at about 97%) on flights like BOS-MSP or ATL-MSP.
Have you tested your iPhone battery recently? They do degrade, and Apple can test and replace the battery (for a charge, if out of warranty). It's an in store fix, but takes about an hour +/-.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
not even close. DL has 18 75E/75S AA has 17 321T and run more frequency than DL
Delta 75E/75S also fly Int routes and other domestic segments, while AA's 321T's only operate JFK-LAX/SFO, hence a DEDICATED subfleet. So, very close in fact.

Last edited by Navig8R; May 29, 2015 at 6:11 am
Old May 29, 2015, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

From the press release:

The DL Chairman's Club people have their photos, locations, and general job areas posted in a special alcove at the new DL Museum of Flight. I didn't count how many there are (maybe 100-200 as a very rough guess), but I did have the impression that most of them work in Atlanta. IIRC the display also indicated the year that each person was inducted into the Chairman's Club. I don't recall mention of a numerical limit for the recognition.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:27 am

Has anybody ever kept those BE headsets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.