Last minute aircraft downgrade LAX-JFK

Old May 28, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by houserulz77
On my recent flight there was an equipment swap to an older 752. As a result of this, I got an unexpected upgraded. Since I was upgraded, I feel I was entitled to D1 food and amenities.....

The only real complaint would be the lack of power, for which some miles will be awarded.
+1
I find it hard to complain about F/J service I didn't pay for. I don't feel like I'm entitled to much if any compensation. Bottom line, you safely got from A to B at the scheduled time, and even got some food and a roomy seat.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by marcworld
this is fascinating, didn't know this site existed, thanks. and look at all of the long-haul flights that plane is flying. ATL-SNA, JFK-Mexico, i think it's unbearable to be on a 4 hour+ flight without power or entertainment. What is the deal with these crap planes? There was a moment a few years back when it seemed Delta had the best fleet amongst legacy carriers and now it seems far behind the pack. (Especially compared to AA on aircraft overall, and UA on wifi tech.)
757s are doing mods now (along with the 319s and 738s) to add AVOD to all the planes staying.
Delta can't just snap their fingers and make it happen though. It takes time.
So on yesterday morning's 6:05a LAX-JFK, they swapped out the nice plane with an obsolete piece of garbage.

No power outlets - in any cabin. No entertainment screens - in any cabin. Biz seats - just regular old chairs, no full or near flat recline.

Ok so I guess occasional equipment changes happen. But stranger was also the downgraded amenities - no eyeshades/earplugs in comfort+. no amenity kit in biz. and the food was regular instead of transcon.

Even if they have to change planes I do not understand why this would require them to offer crappy food.

Sitting on that plane for 5 hours was kind of infuriating. The lack of power outlets is the worst of it all, I'd say. Why does Delta still have any planes without power outlets!?

Grrrrrr. So steamed.

I should say, I got upgraded and likely would not have been upgraded on the original aircraft, but Comfort+ on the original plane would have been better for me still, I could have gotten more work done with the power outlet. The girl next to me said she paid $2k for her last minute ticket, I cannot imagine spending that cash to sit in a crappy obsolete chair.

Don't really have much of a question here. Just venting. Isn't JFK transcon supposed to be the creme of the creme on Delta?
equipment swaps happen. Its not something Delta wants to do but it happens.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I don't have the hard data but it seems to me like AA isn't having to swap non-tcon aircraft for it's LAX/JFK premium route, do they have a larger subfleet or are they more willing to delay rather than swap birds, or are their 321s more reliable than DL's 757s?
Old May 28, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
equipment swaps happen. Its not something Delta wants to do but it happens.
Yes equipment swaps do happen, but the issue is Delta handles these situations so poorly. It is common to read in these threads that customers are shocked to get on the plane and find out they aren't getting the amenities they paid for. That is unacceptable with the technology available these days.

This is what Delta should do if they want to provide a premium product on these so called premium routes. The second they know of an equipment swap they should email/call/text each of the paying delta one passengers and let them know. If there is room on an earlier or later flight they should offer that space. If that doesn't work for the customer they should proactively offer money/miles to help make things right. If you want to go after the high end customers treat them right.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Seems odd that they wouldn't at least do the regular D1 food service (+ amenity kits, etc) - - but, of course - -

They would need an extra 8 meals.
It is my understanding from a FA friend that the galley setup in the standard 757 cannot accommodate the D1 food service items and setups. If you are not on the international bird, you get domestic food...it is the way it has to be.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Millertime
Yes equipment swaps do happen, but the issue is Delta handles these situations so poorly. It is common to read in these threads that customers are shocked to get on the plane and find out they aren't getting the amenities they paid for. That is unacceptable with the technology available these days.
Bingo! If there is the slightest defect in the BE arrangements (short a serving of caviar? stainless utensils instead of sterling silver? no bubble bath?) DL should cancel the flight.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
well, as much as I am a delta fanboy, this practice of subbing lesser, inferior aircraft is totally unacceptable. Especially when you have B6, UA and AA competing for passengers on this route. I am sure DL will lose some business to the competition out of this unacceptable practice. If DL wanted to not lose valuable customers, they should provide a full refund for customers that paid for a J ticket.
A full refund? All of the DL fanboys would say that DL took the passenger from A to B, or JFK to SFO/LAX in this case, which is all that the CoC require. DL doesn't guarantee aircraft type or seating, so everyone just needs to be happy with what DL gave them.

You do realize, don't you, that you can lose your fanboyhood status for mentioning the R word, especially when the word full is used in the same sentence.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:17 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Bingo! If there is the slightest defect in the BE arrangements (short a serving of caviar? stainless utensils instead of sterling silver? no bubble bath?) DL should cancel the flight.
Ehh, I say, stick a bottle of wine in everyone's seat pocket. An hour into the flight, they'll fergit all about it!

Old May 28, 2015, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Ehh, I say, stick a bottle of wine in everyone's seat pocket. An hour into the flight, they'll fergit all about it!

Doesn't that depend on what the wine is? Ripple, Boone's Farm, Mateus,.....?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't that depend on what the wine is? Ripple, Boone's Farm, Mateus,.....?
True. Some of those might cause one to fergit a little faster!!!

Old May 28, 2015, 7:36 pm

Refund the fair difference and offer SkyMiles.

Honestly, when a customer freaks out and makes a scene at the ticket counter because I won't put a yellow priority tag on his bag as a Silver Medallion, it makes every other complaint seem less legit. I know there are still real complaints, but they start to mush together.

Equipment swaps on JFKLAX/SFO is one situation I hope I never have to deal with. I would force myself to notify everyone, but I imagine the gate agents who don't choose not to because they know they'll get yelled at. Literal yelling involved.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:45 pm

So on yesterday morning's 6:05a LAX-JFK, they swapped out the nice plane with an obsolete piece of garbage.

No power outlets - in any cabin. No entertainment screens - in any cabin. Biz seats - just regular old chairs, no full or near flat recline.

Ok so I guess occasional equipment changes happen. But stranger was also the downgraded amenities - no eyeshades/earplugs in comfort+. no amenity kit in biz. and the food was regular instead of transcon.

Even if they have to change planes I do not understand why this would require them to offer crappy food.

Sitting on that plane for 5 hours was kind of infuriating. The lack of power outlets is the worst of it all, I'd say. Why does Delta still have any planes without power outlets!?

Grrrrrr. So steamed.

I should say, I got upgraded and likely would not have been upgraded on the original aircraft, but Comfort+ on the original plane would have been better for me still, I could have gotten more work done with the power outlet. The girl next to me said she paid $2k for her last minute ticket, I cannot imagine spending that cash to sit in a crappy obsolete chair.

Don't really have much of a question here. Just venting. Isn't JFK transcon supposed to be the creme of the creme on Delta?
Cause they fly crap planes.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I don't have the hard data but it seems to me like AA isn't having to swap non-tcon aircraft for it's LAX/JFK premium route, do they have a larger subfleet or are they more willing to delay rather than swap birds, or are their 321s more reliable than DL's 757s?
Correct. AA has a dedicated subfleet for this route. Delta is late to the party and will be adding more aircraft to this route in the next few months. Hopefully this will alleviate their constant need to swap out D1 equipped birds with substandard 757s. The sooner the better because the swaps seem to be happening far too often.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
[QUOTE=marcworld;24883867][QUOTE=avidflyer;24883850]
i think it's unbearable to be on a 4 hour+ flight without power or entertainment.

Just because 4 hours demands power doesn't mean that's the longest flight I fly. I'd like power on ONE hour flights too. I just have a short attention span.

Also relevant to the poster who mentioned books. Who can read a whole book? Magazines, yea I do those. Mostly so I feel productive during takeoff and landing.
Unbearable? Who can read a whole book? Please tell me these are jokes.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:05 pm

i think it's unbearable to be on a 4 hour+ flight without power or entertainment.
Funny, how you young whippersnappers are about this stuff. I remember, waaay back in the olden days, flying on NW's glitzy B742s in Y. No Economy Comfort. Only an overhead projector with a fuzzy picture with a single movie playing - take it or leave it. No in seat power. Not even any such thing as a tablet existed - maybe, not even laptops!

DTW/NRT 13.5 hours

then, immediately followed by

NRT/BKK 7.5 hours

Gosh, golly, HOW did we get through it?!?!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.