Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E+ upgrade- how did I do this?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

E+ upgrade- how did I do this?

It is my understanding that silver medallion can only attempt to get economy plus seats 24 hours prior to flight. I logged onto a ns LAX-JFK flight about one week prior to departure to verify my coach seats and noted that if I clicked on a E+ seat the system took this change. I therefore reserved E+ seats for both myself and my wife. I called Delta the next day to verify this and indeed I was booked on E+. The agent said she would do me one better and put me on "preferred" seats. When I asked, she wasn't quite clear as to the difference between E + and preferred.
On the plane I really did see any difference between our preferred seats and the E+ product. The FA said that E+ used to be called preferred.
So my two questions are:
As silver medallion how was I able to reserve E+ seats one week before departure on the Delta website?
Is there difference between E+ and preferred?

Last edited by ente_09; May 27, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ente_09
It is my understanding that silver medallion can only attempt to get economy plus seats 24 hours prior to flight. I logged onto a ns LAX-JFK flight about one week prior to departure to verify my coach seats and noted that if I clicked on a E+ seat the system took this change. I therefore reserved E+ seats for both myself and my wife. I called Delta the next day to verify this and indeed I was booked on E+. The agent said she would do me one better and put me on "preferred" seats. When I asked, she wasn't quite clear as to the difference between E + and preferred.
On the plane I really did see any difference between our preferred seats and the E+ product. The FA said that E+ used to be called preferred.
So my two questions are:
As silver medallion how was I able to reserve E+ seats one week before departure on the Delta website?
Is there difference between E+ and preferred?
C+ (formerly called EC) are supposed to be superior to preferred seats. They have more legroom, are farther forward in the cabin, and get free (alcoholic) drinks and enhanced snacks, although the latter only applies to flights over 900 miles.

I'm not sure if FOs are supposed to get free preferred seats at booking, but free C+/EC for FOs should only happen at T-24. There might be an exception for FULL Y fare classes.

Either way, they're just special seats for the coach class of service; no separate cabins are involved. Hence these seats should not be considered to be upgrades. Let's reserve the term upgrade to getting a higher cabin class or class of service, such as FC or business class, not for seats that may be associated with a fee to reserve versus a completely different set of fare classes or booking classes.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:14 pm

There is no E+ on DL, so I am not sure what the agent was referring to. FOs technically can reserve C+ seats before T-24 but they have to pay a fee. I have the feeling you were selecting preferred seats and are confusing them with C+, which would have made you pay. C+ is distinguished from the rest of Y by the seat covers and has greater legroom, boarding with Sky, free entertainment via Delta Studio and free beer/wine/spirits, and charging ports on some aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.