Uh, where did the beer go?

Old May 27, 2015, 9:12 am

Great news!!!!
Old May 27, 2015, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would be nice to have some decent house wines in SCs, like the LAX SC used to have (Kenwood chard, cab, and merlot, not wonderful but much better than the wine that's been chosen for the standardization).
Old May 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would be nice to have some decent house wines in SCs, like the LAX SC used to have (Kenwood chard, cab, and merlot, not wonderful but much better than the wine that's been chosen for the standardization).
I agree. The house wine is barely drinkable. It is kind of embarrissing for some place like SFO to be serving that swill with all the good wine that is available within a 90 minute drive from that airport in any direction.

As for the beer. I remember SLC having decent stuff before. Now, it's just a bunch of sad empty taps.

I don't think the 3.2% rule applies to private clubs such as the SC. Plus, Squatters has some good beers on tap, and they aren't 3.2.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The 3.2% rule would apply to beer sold in Utah?
Old May 27, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
^ Anderson can pinch a penny so hard that it turns into copper wire!
Originally Posted by gloyster
gonna have to steal that one
^ - me too.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I'm not sure since I have really never left SLC airport to explore Utah.

From wikipedia: "Current Utah law sets a limit of 3.2 percent alcohol by weight (4 percent by volume) in beer sold at grocery and convenience stores and at establishments operating under a "beer only" type license, such as taverns, beer bars and some restaurants. Beer over 3.2 percent by weight (4 percent by volume) is available in State Liquor Stores and Package Agencies and at clubs and restaurants licensed to sell liquor."

Hence why places like Squatters have a full bar and places like the Sky Club are not subject ot the 3.2% restriction.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Yep that is what I was referring to back in an earlier post. Utah has extremely archaic liquor laws and 3.2% on draft would apply on beer made in or delivered to Utah. In their eyes they do not care 3.2% draft is it restaurant, bar, private club, etc
Old May 27, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The Utah liquor laws have an explicit exemption for airline lounges located at Salt Lake City airport, allowing them to serve heavy beer (>3.2ABV) and full liquor selections during extended hours. If I recall correctly, airline lounge provisions were relaxed (along with many others) during the 2002 Olympic Games after an IOC official complained.

Prior to that relaxation, I believe you could get a drink in the airport, but alcohol products weren't allowed to be advertised or even displayed...
Old May 27, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
At Salt Lake club and all they have is Bud and Bud Light. Really?

You know the similarities between Bud and making love in a canoe is? F$&@ing close to water!

That is just sad, guess it is wine today!

-ok
Now THAT is a First World problem. If you want good beer, go outside the club and buy good beer!
Old May 27, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Totally agree. Didn't mean to offend. It sure is a big beer.

But yes, at least one that has a darker/happier flavor would be good.
Big beer at 3.2% ABV! Another reason to avoid SLC.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
The Utah liquor laws have an explicit exemption for airline lounges located at Salt Lake City airport, allowing them to serve heavy beer (>3.2ABV) and full liquor selections during extended hours. If I recall correctly, airline lounge provisions were relaxed (along with many others) during the 2002 Olympic Games after an IOC official complained.

Prior to that relaxation, I believe you could get a drink in the airport, but alcohol products weren't allowed to be advertised or even displayed...
The last time I was in Utah, the rule--I'm not sure whether it was state or local--in my hotel was that you were required to order at least one food item every time you ordered alcohol of any sort. This applied in the restaurant as well as to room service, although one small food item was good for either one beer or a six pack, a glass or wine or a bottle, etc., so I think the restriction was "per round" of drinks. I don't know how many people the food item would cover.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I drink maybe six beers a year total in the SC. It would be nice those six times if I could get a decent beer. The other day I was thirsty in the SC but I waited an hour to get a beer on the plane instead. If DL is going to give me a beer, why does in matter where??

Ugg.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I drink maybe six beers a year total in the SC. It would be nice those six times if I could get a decent beer. The other day I was thirsty in the SC but I waited an hour to get a beer on the plane instead. If DL is going to give me a beer, why does in matter where??

Ugg.
That's six more beers than me, including on board.

For wine, my strategy is the same as yours. Wine on board is so much better than what's in the SC (even though the wine DL serves on board isn't particularly good), but I'd like to be able to enjoy my SC snacks with decent wine rather than being forced to have SC food with water or coffee and follow them by a glass of wine on board.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The last time I was in Utah, the rule--I'm not sure whether it was state or local--in my hotel was that you were required to order at least one food item every time you ordered alcohol of any sort. This applied in the restaurant as well as to room service, although one small food item was good for either one beer or a six pack, a glass or wine or a bottle, etc., so I think the restriction was "per round" of drinks. I don't know how many people the food item would cover.
Correct - the "restaurant" license requires food to be served with each round of drinks.

Airline lounges (and "clubs" and "bars" out in the city) are exempt from that requirement, though.

The other curiosity is that anything over 4.0% ABV must be served in bottles (even in airport lounges). This explains why the SLC club's previously extensive collection of interesting (and complimentary) beer was all bottled rather than on tap
Old May 27, 2015, 1:32 pm

For the truly curious, here's the full summary of the airport lounge license: http://abc.utah.gov/license/document...ort_lounge.pdf

It's super scoped - only one license per 2,500,000 annual passengers, airport must have an FIS/Customs facility and international service. At current numbers, that means the only eligible airport in Utah is SLC, and only 8 licenses total can be granted...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.