Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will changing flights to Air France impact MQMs & MQDs positively or negatively?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will changing flights to Air France impact MQMs & MQDs positively or negatively?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Changing flights to Air France - impact on MQMs & MQDs

I've tried searching but was unable to find specific info on this, so I apologize in advance if I overlooked it. I must also admit that I am still confused about some aspects of the 2015 program as it relates to maximizing MQMs and MQDs. In the past the program rules were easy to understand, but now they seem tres confusing.

Here is the situation:

In Aug 2015, my husband and I currently have the following flights, all booked in Business or First. I used my miles to book his flights (175,000 miles) and paid for my flights, using my last SWU. Tickets were originally booked back in Jan and are 006 stock and all Delta metal.

Outbound: CMH-DTW-AMS
Return: CDG-MSP-MSP

I recently received a notice from Delta that there has been both a schedule and an aircraft change on the return. I don't mind the schedule change so much, but we do not like the aircraft change. Instead of first class from MSP-CMH, now the flight is on a small regional jet with no first class. Not good for my 6'5" husband.

Understanding that this is my opportunity to make a change on the return, I went online to find our best alternatives, and the two best alternatives are Air France flights CDG via either ATL or DTW. Will changing to Air France flights on the return impact my MQMs or MQDs positively or negatively? With the new 2015 program, it will be a challenge for me to earn my current platinum status for the future, so I always need to be mindful how to maximize MQM and MQD accruals. Also I can't seem to find a source that provides a breakdown of the base fares for my outbound vs the return.

Would it be potentially difficult to get the needed seats on the Air France flights for my husband at this late date? When I booked his tickets back in Jan, the cost was 175,000 miles and now the going rate seems to be much higher.

As an aside, I've noticed posts where others have had problems with Air France seat assignments disappearing after they were originally assigned. Could that be another downside of switch to Air France flights? Any other minor downsides with Air France?

Last edited by cmh flyer; May 24, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Old May 24, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since it's an 006 ticket, it doesn't matter whose metal you fly for MQD/RDM's. It will always be based on your fare price (base fare and YQ/YR surcharge, if any). Your ticket receipt showing base fare and YQ/YR surcharges should be available when you pull up your itin on delta.com. Just click the "VIEW RECEIPT" link at the top of your itin. MQM's will be based on DL's rules if it has a DL codeshare flight number. However, I think it's unlikely they will put you on a AF flight. They generally restrict you to DL flights when changing flights due to a schedule change and will not book you on partner flights. DL85/DL2795 or DL83/DL2824 via ATL is all DL metal and mainline to CMH. There is also DL 271 CDG-EWR with DL5978 (E170) LGA-CMH. DL should pay for the airport transfer from EWR to LGA since it is a single ticket.

Last edited by xliioper; May 24, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.