Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Urgent PVG-DTW-EWR 1H25M Layover at DTW???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent PVG-DTW-EWR 1H25M Layover at DTW???

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Ok I'll tell him to look at the monitors...he should be fine...
Old May 23, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Check out my post #30 for some travelers aid contact info. You might have missed it because we posted at the same time but ended up on different pages.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

I saw it.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by UMichKid
He's not old enough for a wheelchair...well when is he going to find out his gate? Can he find out at PVG?
I don't think there is an age restriction on wheelchair and wheelchair pax are typically first on and last off the plane.

Another fun fact, DL flights (actually most airlines) typically arrive 30 mins ahead of the scheduled time, if there are no delays.

He should have more than enough time.

Don't forget, if the bag makes it to the plane and he doesn't, DL will have to unload the bag before departing.

The odds are that things are stacked in his favor to catch the flight.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 23, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Oh okay, so he will be able to rebook to PHL I guess? And if DL flights arrive 30 minutes early, do they fly on time or early? If on time then that means my father has more time.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh okay, so he will be able to rebook to PHL I guess? And if DL flights arrive 30 minutes early, do they fly on time or early? If on time then that means my father has more time.
Huh? They are not going to depart 30 minutes early if there are still people who have not boarded. Technically, you are supposed to be at the gate 15 minutes before departure, but you are generally pretty safe if you get there at 10 minutes before departure.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Oh I see. So they arrive early, but not depart early.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I see. So they arrive early, but not depart early.
Yes. Airlines are pretty focused on on-time ratings these days and they often throw in a fair amount of slack time in their arrival times. Particularly on international flights where they have to factor in the jetstream influence which can be difficult to predict.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Yay, okay. Not too worried then...I'm pretty sure there will be people going onto the same flight to Newark that speaks Mandarin.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Another fun fact, DL flights (actually most airlines) typically arrive 30 mins ahead of the scheduled time, if there are no delays.

[...]

The odds are that things are stacked in his favor to catch the flight.
I'm not sure I'd bet the farm on that. While today's DL582 landed 45 minutes early, yesterday it was almost 3 hours late. A week earlier (5/15), it was almost 4 hours late, and the same thing again on 5/11.

This flight is operated by a 747 (notorious for mechanical delays) and out of China (notorious for military airspace and congestion restrictions). While most of the time the flight operates within a half hour of on time, 3 extended delays in the last 2 weeks is not a particularly great record.

And flights can depart early, though it's rare and usually only when everybody is already onboard.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
I'm not sure I'd bet the farm on that. While today's DL582 landed 45 minutes early, yesterday it was almost 3 hours late. A week earlier (5/15), it was almost 4 hours late, and the same thing again on 5/11.

This flight is operated by a 747 (notorious for mechanical delays) and out of China (notorious for military airspace and congestion restrictions). While most of the time the flight operates within a half hour of on time, 3 extended delays in the last 2 weeks is not a particularly great record.

And flights can depart early, though it's rare and usually only when everybody is already onboard.
You are right Bennos, but I did put the provision:

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I believe the late arrivals were due to the delayed departures.

OP: I would let your dad have some written instruction to present to DL agents instructing them to route him to PHL instead of other NYC in the event of a missed connection because EWR is consider a NYC airport and they would likely route him to the connecting DL582 flight to LGA.

Bennos: How have you been? last time we met was at SEA res.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 23, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

I wrote a letter that I told him to give to a flight agent at the airport if he misses his flight. It has my # on it.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:45 am

I wrote a letter that I told him to give to a flight agent at the airport if he misses his flight. It has my # on it.
Great!

Be at ease then.

That's for your dad.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I will update this once he's here.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, 9:40pm, but he may have checked his bags to EWR already.
@bennos He has a visa, but he will be getting his green card in the mail soon.
I'm not really worried about customs, just a bit worried about him getting to his gate. I'll tell him where to look on his boarding pass.
For customs, make sure that he understands that he absolutely cannot bring food, herbal medicines, etc. from China. This could cause trouble in customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.