Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta standby question

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Delta standby question

I searched the forum but all I could find was info from 2013 so I'm not sure it's still relevant.

I'm trying to see if I can get on a flight tonight rather than waiting for a 6:15am flight CLT to MSP tomorrow. (even though I'll be giving up an upgrade, so be it...I'd rather be home tonight)

I try to do everything through the Delta App but as you know the options are limited. I went on Delta.com - flight change and it wants to charge me $700 additional to change flights.

Is there any way aside from calling or showing up at the airport to see if I can slide onto a flight tonight?
Old May 22, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I doubt you'll even be able to get through TSA with a boarding pass for the next day.

Bob H
Old May 22, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
From the DL website regarding SDC:
•You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.

Interestingly, the language about SDS doesn't mention that you are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure. The website says:
•You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.

So, based on a plain reading of that, you could go to the airport and get on the waitlist. If I were you, a simple tweet to @deltaassist (with a little sob story...) might get you on the flight you want, at least without the change fee. If you're being quoted $700, you're likely having to up fare, so you're likely to have to pay at least that to be confirmed.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
If I were you, a simple tweet to @deltaassist (with a little sob story...) .

LOL well played....."I've been flying between CLT/GSO and MSP every week for the past 6 weeks and I just wanna get home and see my wife 10 hours earlier!

Actually closer to the truth is "I'd rather fly back tonight than wake up at 3:30am, drive 1.5 hours to CLT and make a 6:15am flight"

haha

Thanks guys.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
From the DL website regarding SDC:
•You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.

Interestingly, the language about SDS doesn't mention that you are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure. The website says:
•You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.

So, based on a plain reading of that, you could go to the airport and get on the waitlist. If I were you, a simple tweet to @deltaassist (with a little sob story...) might get you on the flight you want, at least without the change fee. If you're being quoted $700, you're likely having to up fare, so you're likely to have to pay at least that to be confirmed.
Note that the fare difference suggests that SDC wouldn't have been available on the flight you want. It also suggests that the flight is fairly full, so SDS might not have good chances of success either. IMO you should investigate availability before going to the airport today. It's the start of a holiday weekend, so airports and airplanes could be packed.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by duggan
... I'm trying to see if I can get on a flight tonight rather than waiting for a 6:15am flight CLT to MSP tomorrow. ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that the fare difference suggests that SDC wouldn't have been available on the flight you want.
the $700 fare difference for SDC is because OP initially looked at changing from the 0615 Sat morning flight to a Fri evening flight ... presuming OP has a coach fare, specific inventory availability (while a valid consideration) is irrelevant

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's the start of a holiday weekend, so airports and airplanes could be packed.
this is certainly the bigger issue
Old May 22, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I had a similar issue this week. I ended up being done with work early yesterday. I was scheduled to work in PVD through Friday and would fly out on the 4:20pm. I ended up getting all the consulting done well before then. So, I was hoping to change my flight to the 4:20 on Thursday. 400.00 cost with change fee to switch from my confirmed FC seats to. middle seats did not seem like a bargain. But, I was able to SDC to the 6am Friday morning and go standby since my fare class was not available. (Side rant...it was an 800.00 ticket from PVD-DTW-MKE...and that had no flexibility-dang)
But I was able to sit in C+ seats on both leg in the middle seat back home on standby. Still glad this was an option that did not cost me anything more than the bruises inflicted from the elbow jabs of the lady sitting next to me who seemed to be angry at her keyboard as she typed on her laptop non-stop from PVD to DTW.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If there's very little or no space, forget it. If there's space, ask at the counter and you may get lucky. You might get the change for free, you might get it for the $200 change fee rather than SDC/SDSB or you might get hit for the $700. I guess that if you're not going to make it, you'll stay close to the airport anyway, so maybe swinging by the airport won't be too hard.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
the $700 fare difference for SDC is because OP initially looked at changing from the 0615 Sat morning flight to a Fri evening flight ... presuming OP has a coach fare, specific inventory availability (while a valid consideration) is irrelevant

this is certainly the bigger issue
I understand that you cannot SDC onto a flight on another day. What I was saying is that even if there were not such a rule, OP would not have been able to SDC onto the flight because the fare class was not available. A price difference of $700 is considerably more than the $200 domestic change fee and, if fact, a one way fare difference of $500 would probably mean buying up several fare classes to a quite expensive fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.