Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK: Clubhouse vs. Flagship Skyclub - A Comparison

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Talking JFK: Clubhouse vs. Flagship Skyclub - A Comparison

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - There isn't a comparison to make here! This was my first time in the Virgin CH in almost half a decade.

Where do a I begin:

SERVICE: Servers actually serve you at the table and address you by name

BAR: The bar is better than most decent hotels with higher end whiskeys, a couple of cognacs, 8-9 vodkas, and OK wines. They also have *WOODFORD* and *MAKERS* The wines are about the same as the Skyclub or maybe a little better (still really cheap $10/bottle crap).

FOOD: They have a full menu of tapas, dinner, and flatbread pizzas. No hummus or Tillamook in sight here

GENERAL AMBIANCE: High energy but not loud or busy, very stylish, very civilized. I am early here so maybe it gets crowded later.

SKYDECK: None here - I would give the Skyclub the win on that single metric.

Thanks to all that suggested trying this out on my DL JFK-LHR tonight. Is well worth the walk. I'll now spend my flight in 1A asleep since I have had far better food drink here on the ground that have ever had on DL in the air or on the ground!

TFD

Last edited by Task Force DL; May 21, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Old May 21, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire

Agree - no comparisons.

If I remember when I was there in October they had a pool table for those interested in some old school gaming. Am I mistaken in this memory? (The extended visit may have resulted in a few fuzzy memories)
Old May 21, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by whooperatw
Agree - no comparisons.

If I remember when I was there in October they had a pool table for those interested in some old school gaming. Am I mistaken in this memory? (The extended visit may have resulted in a few fuzzy memories)
I was there a week ago, they have a pool table.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:58 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
That is just simply awesome.^

I recently departed out of JFK and took two friends into the SC with me who have never even traveled anywhere in FC or J and they absolutely thought the SkyDeck was the coolest thing ever! I know I enjoy it!
Old May 21, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Yes it is here, and the operators of the pool implements are already sloppy
Old May 29, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Update: Clubhouse LHR...

...now I am on the return leg so I figured I would post a final update...

My flight from LIS-LHR in "Business" was a joke (and two hours late). So now I only get three hours in the Clubhouse instead of 5

The LHR Clubhouse is even more over-the-top than the JFK one.

Anyone flying out of T3 on DL in J should just go straight here.

Please note that you can also use the "Clubhouse Wing" security and a DL BP scans just fine to open the magic door to the "Clubhouse Wing".

TFD
Old May 29, 2015, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - There isn't a comparison to make here! This was my first time in the Virgin CH in almost half a decade.

BAR: The bar is better than most decent hotels with higher end whiskeys, a couple of cognacs, 8-9 vodkas, and OK wines. They also have *WOODFORD* and *MAKERS* The wines are about the same as the Skyclub or maybe a little better (still really cheap $10/bottle crap).

I have had far better food drink here on the ground......

TFD
Sorry, but IMO you lose all credibility when you claim that the wines served in DL SCs would be OK in a decent hotel bar. DL SC wines are not decent, and I doubt that they cost even $10 per bottle in most states.

Wines in domestic FC tend to be *slightly* better while BD/D1 tends to usually have at least one wine that's much better than what is found in the SC and in domestic FC.

...now I am on the return leg so I figured I would post a final update...

My flight from LIS-LHR in "Business" was a joke (and two hours late). So now I only get three hours in the Clubhouse instead of 5

Please note that you can also use the "Clubhouse Wing" security and a DL BP scans just fine to open the magic door to the "Clubhouse Wing".

TFD
If you have a DL flight from T4 at LHR, can you use the Clubhouse?
Old May 29, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Talking

[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;24886508]Sorry, but IMO you lose all credibility when you claim that the wines served in DL SCs would be OK

Huh? I believe that i referred to them as "crap" in my original post. Perhaps I could have composed the post better, but I meant that the liquor and beer was on par with a decent hotel bar. The wines are a joke.

FWIW - I generally don't ever drink wines on airplanes or in lounges except for in F on SQ and EK. So, you are right, I have no credibility commenting on the Skyclub plonk.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

Or if you are GM and above and flying Y.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Heartily agree with the OP, and yes the LHR clubhouse is certainly something to experience. Did you take advantage of any of the spa services?
The shoeshine guy at the entrance to the clubhouse does a great job too.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, but IMO you lose all credibility when you claim that the wines served in DL SCs would be OK
Huh? I believe that i referred to them as "crap" in my original post. Perhaps I could have composed the post better, but I meant that the liquor and beer was on par with a decent hotel bar. The wines are a joke.

FWIW - I generally don't ever drink wines on airplanes or in lounges except for in F on SQ and EK. So, you are right, I have no credibility commenting on the Skyclub plonk.
The phrase in your post that I quoted was "and OK wines" in referring to Clubhouse wines. You then go on to say "The wines are about the same as the Skyclub". From this I conclude that you think that SC wines are OK too.

I also don't drink SC wines, but from looking at the bottles, I don't need to taste them to know how bad they are. I do drink FC and BE/D1 wines on board because wine goes better with meals than other beverages. Of course, certain foreign airlines offer better wines. In fact, SQ has some rather good wine in the lounge (TPR). In addition to your list, I've had good German dessert wine on LH. KE and MH were disappointing, despite being Asian full service airlines that get some pretty high ratings (but I would disagree--not impressed at all). I avoid longhaul AF and KLM because of their horrible business class seats on most aircraft.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 29, 2015 at 9:40 am Reason: corrected quote from post to make clear who said what in the post I quoted
Old May 29, 2015, 10:59 am

Thought it was only PM+?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

If you have a DL flight from T4 at LHR, can you use the Clubhouse?
I think this would be tough landside (getting through landside Security at T3 with a T4 boarding pass).

Once you are already in the secure area of T4 however, you can take the transfer bus to T3 (follow the signs for "Airline Service Desks") and they will let you through transfer security without a T3 boarding pass (the assumption being that individuals proceed to the transfer desks immediately after security). This also works if you're transiting (just follow the signs for T3 connections rather than taking the bus to T4).

In my experience, Delta passengers are checked into the LHR clubhouse using printed manifests and manually checking names off a list. They obviously wouldn't have the manifest for a flight leaving from T4, but that doesn't mean you can't show your credentials and still get in...

Keep in mind that airside transit between terminals, due to the need to clear security and wait for the bus, can take up to an hour in each direction... If I had a very long transit (~4+ hours) I would probably give it a try - it really is something (and they do have an outdoor terrace too!)

Last edited by SFTNYC; May 29, 2015 at 11:21 am
Old May 29, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by 31693884
Thought it was only PM+?
SkyTeam Elite+ can use the JFK Clubhouse when flying to the UK on DL or VS. Only PM and DM can use the LHR Clubhouse.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I see no point in this comparison. Taking a wonderfully beautiful lounge run by a superior carrier with more stringent entry requirements and comparing it to an adult day care center is always going to be an unfair comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.