Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates recruiting in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Emirates recruiting in Atlanta

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/emi...endants/nmJ8h/

Have they done this in other major cities in the US that they don't serve? Or does this mean that an announcement about ATL service is imminent?
Old May 20, 2015, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by woodford02A

Have they done this in other major cities in the US that they don't serve? Or does this mean that an announcement about ATL service is imminent?
People move for jobs and airline employees can fly nonrev to commute to a job.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:48 am

It says they are going to base in DBX so I would guess they'll recruit where there are big airline bases. ATL is has a huge crew base and it's good PR for them to poach DL.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by motytrah
It says they are going to base in DBX so I would guess they'll recruit where there are big airline bases. ATL is has a huge crew base and it's good PR for them to poach DL.
Somehow I can't imagine that many DL employees would be happy to move to DXB and experience their rules and working conditions. Maybe someone very junior who is eager to get international routes or to move up to higher pilot pay levels quickly. I envision the ME3 as primarily hiring crew who cannot get jobs with major western airlines.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
I'd guess they're looking to poach the employees with special language skills, too. They are competing on the same routes where DL [and others] need those skills.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
This is Emirates general strategy for hiring cabin crew. They literally have college-style housing in Dubai for their recruits to live in and recruit around the world. From my experience, EK has about as diverse an employee base as I've seen. They make an announcement on every flight about where their crew comes from. On my recent flight is was, "Your cabin crew represents 19 different countries and speaks 21 different languages." Compare that to any US airline! On DL, AA or UA, it would be, "Your cabin crew has an average age of 62 and refuses to speak any other languages."
Old May 20, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
They hold these cabin crew recruitment events in many many cities around the world - and many that they dont even fly to.

http://jobs.cabincrew.com/jobs/curre...s/?client_ID=3
Old May 20, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Somehow I can't imagine that many DL employees would be happy to move to DXB and experience their rules and working conditions. Maybe someone very junior who is eager to get international routes or to move up to higher pilot pay levels quickly. I envision the ME3 as primarily hiring crew who cannot get jobs with major western airlines.
Agreed, but I wouldn't be surprised if in DXB it was perfectly legal to use age as a hiring factor. I could see some 20 somethings that are sick of grinding a bunch of MD80 segments vs a single international flight.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
This is Emirates general strategy for hiring cabin crew. They literally have college-style housing in Dubai for their recruits to live in and recruit around the world. From my experience, EK has about as diverse an employee base as I've seen. They make an announcement on every flight about where their crew comes from. On my recent flight is was, "Your cabin crew represents 19 different countries and speaks 21 different languages." Compare that to any US airline! On DL, AA or UA, it would be, "Your cabin crew has an average age of 62 and refuses to speak any other languages."
Who wants to share an apartment that's assigned by your employer? And especially who wants sex-segregated apartment complexes with curfews?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by woodford02A

Not sure how this is in any way related to DL?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
From my experience, EK has about as diverse an employee base as I've seen.
Really? How many open, married (or single) LGBTQ employees do they have? That are living in Dubai? Who's marriages (if married) are recognized in Dubai? How many of their employees happen to come from Israel?

Yes, lets discuss this wonderfully open, diverse, inclusive airline.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Really? How many open, married (or single) LGBTQ employees do they have? That are living in Dubai? Who's marriages (if married) are recognized in Dubai? How many of their employees happen to come from Israel?

How could they? It would be illegal.

You know, America's friends over there aren't thrilled about some things in Western societies.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa

.......and how many older FAs do they have?

Let's also talk about the gender-based (stereotypical) assignment of cabin crew duties, with a much higher fraction of the purser-equivalent jobs being held by men.

Another feature of DXB employment is needing a government-issued drinking permit to legally possess, consume, or transport alcohol. To get one requires a residence permit and permission from your employer (as well as a sufficiently highly-paid job or a spouse who is paid well).
Old May 20, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.......and how many older FAs do they have?

Let's also talk about the gender-based (stereotypical) assignment of cabin crew duties, with a much higher fraction of the purser-equivalent jobs being held by men.
Looks like it's a hit with travellers though. So maybe something the US3 could consider?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
How could they? It would be illegal.

You know, America's friends over there aren't thrilled about some things in Western societies.
My point With the fabulous lounges, the free-flowing Dom and Krug, the amazing suites, showers and residences in the skies, I think that people sometimes prefer to overlook some of the less pleasant truths about where and how these airlines operate.

The poster was making a statement about how diverse the airline was. I was simply pointing out that it perhaps wasn't quite as diverse as it may seem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.