Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suntrust Delta Debit card T&C Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I also wrote to SunTrust asking them not to continue with the card after the current period ends - Here is the reply I got from them

---------------------------------------------
Quote:
Hi FlyerBrit,

I apologize for the delay in responding your email. I completely understand your point. Yes you are right the terms and condition for the SkyMiles debit card has been changed. Please know the annual fee will remain the $75.00 for your debit card. From now onwards you will get 1 mile for $2.00. I understand how annoying it is but I do apologize.

I see that we have an offer if you retain your SkyMies card. If you retain your card we offer 500 miles which will credit to your account once I initiate the offer for you. Once I submitted the request with in 6-8 weeks the 500 miles will credit to your account. Please let me know if you wish me to submit the offer on behalf of you or issue a new debit card.

Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Old May 31, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by MIKETWA1
I never received this letter, but I called SunTrust and they advised they had sent it, anyways the rep was able to pull up the letter and read it to me.

He stated it was capped at 4000 miles per card, and it was still 1 mile for every dollar spent pin based or signature and still the 2 miles for every dollar spent on Delta.
That cap and rate is for the Advantage card (not the $3k min balance "balanced" account) at least I got when I signed up last April just before they shut down new apps. Also, even with the Advantage account ($25k min bal) the new apps will be limited to only the states they have branches in (only a dozen or so?)
Old May 31, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Churning like crazy. Done over a million and trying for 250k this last 55 days. Told my wife I'm going to be busy after work for the next month or so. Surprised it lasted this long but all good thing come to an end. As a former suntrust employee I look at this as my way of getting back for eliminating our pension plan and freezing our compensation increases. July 25 I will close my account and move on to the next greatest and latest. Thanks Suntrust for wasting a decade of my life as an underpaid employee. But my family J class flights will be my best memory.

Last edited by nwa330; May 31, 2015 at 10:09 pm
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:27 pm

[deleted]

Last edited by uds0; Jun 4, 2015 at 6:41 pm Reason: per request
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Xxxxxxxx

Last edited by nwa330; Jun 2, 2015 at 11:21 pm
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:38 pm

[deleted]

Last edited by uds0; Jun 4, 2015 at 6:41 pm Reason: per request
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:44 pm

Well after many calls I finally got clarification and I will be only getting the max 2000 miles per month.

Has it already started though?

I just looked at my Delta account and only had 1200 miles for one card and 980 miles for another post on Jun 5th and I usually have 4-5k miles post if not more. I thought this was not suppose to start until July 25th?

I cant go through all the calls again with SunTrust no one knows what is going on, but they are blaming Delta saying Delta is making modifications as they go along.

Anyways has anyone else noticed a drop in miles posted this month?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I did a chat and was able to get upgraded to a Signature Advantage card since I just paid my annual fee on 4/1. I was about to do this however they mentioned the $25k minimum to avoid $25/mo fee, which is crap. They refused to refund a pro-rated annual fee and offered the measly 500 mile bonus within 6-8 weeks too. I asked for an address to notify them that I will be disputing this annual fee due to the change in terms as it's breach of contract.

Here's the address given for anyone else wanting to do the same:

SunTrust Bank
PO Box 85024
Richmond, VA 23285-5024
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
I guess I'm going to move that checking account back to BofA and earn miles on the AS debit card. This is a disappointment.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by airindia787
I always questioned what the value of the debit card was when Amex was always the better option to begin with. I guess this just seals the deal in that respect.
That was my thinking until I got the ST debit a year ago. There is ALOT more one can do with a debit card than a cc.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tkey75
Agreed.

Until then, I'll be churning the crap out of it. Will probably just move in to my local Wal Mart.
Yep. Me, too. Many commenting on this thread don't seem to understand the value of a point earning debit card.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mikehillwig
I guess I'm going to move that checking account back to BofA and earn miles on the AS debit card. This is a disappointment.
I believe that ship has also sailed. May 2014 as I recall was the last earning could be done on the AS debit card. It is no more as I understand it.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by mangoMan
My annual fee on this card will be due in a week or so, so I want to cancel before then. However, I want to make a large estimated tax payment today using the card trying to get one last stash of DL miles with it. IME, it usually takes a few weeks for the miles to post. Anyone know if:

1) I wait to cancel the card until next month after the miles post, will they refund part or all of my annual fee?

2) If I make the purchase and then cancel a few days later, will I still get the miles?

thanks!
Well, I waited until my miles posted for my estimated tax payment, which happened about a week after my annual fee was deducted. Called today to cancel the card and they agreed to refund the annual fee.

BTW, Suntrust has the most annoying automated voice menu I've ever experienced. It was very difficult to get to a representative.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MIKETWA1
Well after many calls I finally got clarification and I will be only getting the max 2000 miles per month.

Has it already started though?

I just looked at my Delta account and only had 1200 miles for one card and 980 miles for another post on Jun 5th and I usually have 4-5k miles post if not more. I thought this was not suppose to start until July 25th?

I cant go through all the calls again with SunTrust no one knows what is going on, but they are blaming Delta saying Delta is making modifications as they go along.

Anyways has anyone else noticed a drop in miles posted this month?
All my 17k posted.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by rnovak
You don't need a minimum balance account to keep the card. I dropped it down to the 'basic' account and run my expenses through there and keep the 'real' money in an interest earning account.

By the way, where are you getting 5% on a checking account?
When did you drop it down to the basic account? When people tried to do that in 2012 on Flyertalk, there were reports about getting prorated refunds of the fee, sending a regular (non-Delta) replacement, etc. Basically, you had to keep the 5K/3K min balance accounts, or you'd lose the Delta card.

Just wondering if that changed, and how you converted the account to the basic? Did you chat or call them?

Also, do you live in one of the Suntrust states?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.